This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rain Management Group and Artist International

Anyone repped by or have any interactions with either of these companies? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Re: Rain Management Group and Artist International

I sent a query to Rain Management and got a reply as follows:

I am happy to read referrals from colleagues or business associates, or material that receives a CONSIDER coverage from a professional screenplay consultant. Two consultants I work with regularly are Amanda at www.scriptgal.com and Andrew at www.screenplaymechanic.com. They both charge for their services, but their rates are very reasonable.

I don't fancy paying for coverage so that was pretty much it for me... Best of luck

Comment

Originally posted by Berkice View Post
      I sent a query to Rain Management and got a reply as follows:

I am happy to read referrals from colleagues or business associates, or material that receives a CONSIDER coverage from a professional screenplay consultant. Two consultants I work with regularly are Amanda at www.scriptgal.com and Andrew at www.screenplaymechanic.com. They both charge for their services, but their rates are very reasonable.

I don't fancy paying for coverage so that was pretty much it for me... Best of luck
      That's pretty lame. I'm surprised to hear that about Rain; I thought they were above that. It almost makes you wonder if they're getting a kickback. I got an inquiry from them after Nicholl, but by then I'd already signed elsewhere.

Regarding Artist International, I believe there was a thread about them here a couple of weeks ago. I think someone said that they were financed from the Middle East, or something like that. I know that as of a year or two ago they were accepting submissions via their website, but that's it.

Comment

Originally posted by Aspirant View Post
        That's pretty lame. I'm surprised to hear that about Rain; I thought they were above that. It almost makes you wonder if they're getting a kickback. I got an inquiry from them after Nicholl, but by then I'd already signed elsewhere.
        What's lame about it? If you don't have a referral then you have a possible way in if your script is worth their time.

Andrew's gotten high praise around here and he's recommended Amanda.

It's not like your money is wasted by using their services. If your script is good enough to get a consider, that's great news. If not, it can only help to learn where it's weak and needs more work.

I'd like to know if there are other managers who will also read based on a consider from Andrew or Amanda.
        Last edited by iggy; 04-02-2012, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by iggy View Post
          What's lame about it? If you don't have a referral then you have a possible way in if your script is worth their time. Andrew's gotten high praise around here and he's recommended Amanda. It's not like your money is wasted by using their services. If your script is good enough to get a consider, that's great news. If not, it can only help to learn where it's weak and needs more work. I'd like to know if there are other managers who wil also read based on a consider from Andrew or Amanda.
          To each his own. I'm just not that big on coverage services, and though some probably are helpful, I do think many are, in fact, a waste of money. I also don't like the idea of reps using them as gatekeepers, because I think it's effectively the same as charging reading fees, at least from the writer's point of view. In some ways, it's worse than that, because the writer isn't even guaranteed a read for his fee. Perhaps it's becoming more common, but I was under the impression that most reputable managers and agents would not do this. I would not deal with one who did. Again, just my opinion; I'm sure there are others.

Comment

To each his own. I'm just not that big on coverage services, and though some probably are helpful, I do think many are, in fact, a waste of money. I also don't like the idea of reps using them as gatekeepers, because I think it's effectively the same as charging reading fees, at least from the writer's point of view. In some ways, it's worse than that, because the writer isn't even guaranteed a read for his fee. Perhaps it's becoming more common, but I was under the impression that most reputable managers and agents would not do this. I would not deal with one who did. Again, just my opinion; I'm sure there are others.
            The fee you pay Andrew or Amanda is for coverage and/or notes. They assess your script. Andrew has said he gives very few considers. That's probably why his opinion is becoming valued around town.

It was really inappropriate of you to suggest that Andrew and Amanda might be giving the manager a kickback.

Comment

The fee you pay Andrew or Amanda is for coverage and/or notes. They assess your script. Andrew has said he gives very few considers. That's probably why his opinion is becoming valued around town.

It was really inappropriate of you to suggest that Andrew and Amanda might be giving the manager a kickback.

Oh please. While I doubt they're getting kickbacks, it is ridiculous for a manager to try and funnel you to a paid reader. No disrespect to Andrew or Amanda, I've heard nothing but great things about their services. That isn't the point. Part of a manager's job is to read new material.

Comment

Originally posted by CthulhuRises View Post
                Oh please. While I doubt they're getting kickbacks, it is ridiculous for a manager to try and funnel you to a paid reader. No disrespect to Andrew or Amanda, I've heard nothing but great things about their services. That isn't the point. Part of a manager's job is to read new material.

They're not saying you can pay for a shot at representation. They're saying they don't want to waste their time with writers who are not yet capable of earning a consider from a consultant they respect.

Managers only need to read new material if they're looking for new clients. A reputable manager should be spending most of their time working with and for their existing clients.

They can't be expected to spend their time weeding out the few great writers from the huge amount of queries they get.

That's why they all want personal referrals. A consider from a consultant is a way around that. I wish all managers would do it.

Comment

They're not saying you can pay for a shot at representation. They're saying they don't want to waste their time with writers who are not yet capable of earning a consider from a consultant they respect.

Managers only need to read new material if they're looking for new clients. A reputable manager should be spending most of their time working with and for their existing clients.

They can't be expected to spend their time weeding out the few great writers from the huge amount of queries they get.

That's why they all want personal referrals. A consider from a consultant is a way around that. I wish all managers would do it.
                  Except they don't...not even close.

Comment

The fee you pay Andrew or Amanda is for coverage and/or notes. They assess your script. Andrew has said he gives very few considers. That's probably why his opinion is becoming valued around town. It was really inappropriate of you to suggest that Andrew and Amanda might be giving the manager a kickback.
                    Relax. I get that you like this Andrew person (apparently you're on a first-name basis). I've actually never heard of him, but I'll take your word for it that he's well-respected among coverage providers. "Kickback" probably was a bit strong, because it has such a negative connotation. But I don't think it's beyond reason to speculate about whether a manager who recommends a specific paid coverage service by name as a way for an unconnected writer to possibly get a script in front of him might have some kind of side arrangement with that service. All I said was, "it almost makes you wonder." What makes you so certain that it's not the case?

As CR pointed out, many very busy and successful managers seem perfectly able to read new material that they've requested based on intriguing loglines without having to rely on the judgment of third-party coverage services. I'd be glad for that, because if your wish came true and every manager did what Rain evidently is doing, the result would be another gatekeeper standing between you and representation -- and one you would have to pay to get past, at that.

Comment

Relax. I get that you like this Andrew person (apparently you're on a first-name basis). I've actually never heard of him, but I'll take your word for it that he's well-respected among coverage providers. "Kickback" probably was a bit strong, because it has such a negative connotation. But I don't think it's beyond reason to speculate about whether a manager who recommends a specific paid coverage service by name as a way for an unconnected writer to possibly get a script in front of him might have some kind of side arrangement with that service. All I said was, "it almost makes you wonder." What makes you so certain that it's not the case?

As CR pointed out, many very busy and successful managers seem perfectly able to read new material that they've requested based on intriguing loglines without having to rely on the judgment of third-party coverage services. I'd be glad for that, because if your wish came true and every manager did what Rain evidently is doing, the result would be another gatekeeper standing between you and representation -- and one you would have to pay to get past, at that.
                      It's hard to believe you've never heard of Andrew, the Screenplay Mechanic, who posts here as EvilRbt and has a very long thread filled with positive endorsements from DD members who've used his coverage service.

Anyone who reads these forums can be on a first name basis with him. I have actually NEVER used his service but I'm planning to get coverage from him or Amanda on my next script.

To suggest publicly, in the place where his clients are most likely to see it, that he gives managers kickbacks for recommending him and, therefore, engages in unethical behavior is defamatory.

You've claimed to be a lawyer. You should know better.

As for managers and gatekeepers, why do you think so many people enter all these contests that keep popping up? They do it with the hope that a placement or win will help them get a rep.

At least paying for coverage or notes gets you coverage or notes. Failing to advance in a contest (where the scripts that move ahead are decided by - gasp - readers) gets you nothing for your money.

Furthermore, while reps do request some scripts based on the logline, they are likely to hand it off to their own reader. If that reader doesn't like it, you've burned your chance. If a script comes in with a consider from someone they respect who has already evaluated the script it might receive a more careful reading from the rep.

It's only a waste of money if your work isn't good enough to get a consider and if it isn't good enough to get a consider then you shouldn't be approaching reps anyway.

Comment

By your logic -- if it's good enough to get a "consider" from a service, then it's good enough to get a manager's attention without the service. Look, I think paying a reputable service to evaluate your work is very helpful for some writers, but I do think it's strange that a management firm would suggest it in an email.

Btw, a while back, before I signed with my manager, I sent Rain a cold query and was asked to email them my script, so that also adds to my skepticism that the coverage service is mentioned or necessary for serious consideration...

Comment

Originally posted by onthecusp View Post
                          By your logic -- if it's good enough to get a "consider" from a service, then it's good enough to get a manager's attention without the service. Look, I think paying a reputable service to evaluate your work is very helpful for some writers, but I do think it's strange that a management firm would suggest it in an email.

Btw, a while back, before I signed with my manager, I sent Rain a cold query and was asked to email them my script, so that also adds to my skepticism that the coverage service is mentioned or necessary for serious consideration...
                          The management company is putting the burden on the writer to show that the script is worth their time.

Did they read and respond to the script you emailed them?

Comment

It's hard to believe you've never heard of Andrew, the Screenplay Mechanic, who posts here as EvilRbt and has a very long thread filled with positive endorsements from DD members who've used his coverage service. Anyone who reads these forums can be on a first name basis with him. I have actually NEVER used his service but I'm planning to get coverage from him or Amanda on my next script. To suggest publicly, in the place where his clients are most likely to see it, that he gives managers kickbacks for recommending him and, therefore, engages in unethical behavior is defamatory. You've claimed to be a lawyer. You should know better.
                            Dude, seriously, chill out. I don't "claim" to be a lawyer; I am a lawyer (Cornell '93, 15 years of litigation practice). Nothing I said was even remotely defamatory. I never accused anyone of unethical behavior. I honestly have never heard of "Andrew, the Screenplay Mechanic," which is not surprising, since, as I've said, I'm not a big fan of paid coverage services, so I don't pay attention to that stuff. I have no idea whether "The Mechanic" has any financial arrangement with Rain or anyone else, but he's certainly free to do that. There wouldn't be anything "unethical" about it; I just said I thought it was "lame" for a manager to enter into that type of an arrangement. If people here have been pleased with Andrew's services, that's great. I just think getting coverage or notes from a paid service, if it makes sense at all, should be separate from the process of trying to obtain representation, and I don't think managers should refer writers to paid services as a condition for getting a read. Just my opinion.

Comment

Dude, seriously, chill out. I don't "claim" to be a lawyer; I am a lawyer (Cornell '93, 15 years of litigation practice). Nothing I said was even remotely defamatory. I never accused anyone of unethical behavior. I honestly have never heard of "Andrew, the Screenplay Mechanic," which is not surprising, since, as I've said, I'm not a big fan of paid coverage services, so I don't pay attention to that stuff. I have no idea whether "The Mechanic" has any financial arrangement with Rain or anyone else, but he's certainly free to do that. There wouldn't be anything "unethical" about it; I just said I thought it was "lame" for a manager to enter into that type of an arrangement. If people here have been pleased with Andrew's services, that's great. I just think getting coverage or notes from a paid service, if it makes sense at all, should be separate from the process of trying to obtain representation, and I don't think managers should refer writers to paid services as a condition for getting a read. Just my opinion.
                              So you think the word "kickback" is usually associated with ethical behavior?

Comment

Working...
                              X