Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-16-2016, 01:22 PM   #1
Darthclaw13
Regular

Default Producers want writers to do all?

Hi everyone! I hope your day is going well.

I wanted to ask if anyone here has had this same experience.

I have noticed a trend when querying producers/prodcos that even though they seem to really like the idea/concept of a script and they are interested in moving forward (even without reading said script) they want many things done first (by the writer) like name talent attached, a full budget written out, seed money attached, and even a full business plan written up first before they will look at the script.

Maybe it's me but I always thought the above things were supposed to be done by the production company, producer, line producer, etc. not the writer.

We writers get paid the least but are now expected to do all the work of developing too (without pay of course). What is this?

It just seems to me that folks may be getting lazy and want others to do their jobs and then they swoop in and get paid for the work they didn't do.

Anyone else seen this/experienced this?

I'm not saying all producers/prodcos do this but I have seen it and know other writers who have experienced this trend.

Thanks for looking and I look forward to all thoughts/comments.
Have a great day and keep reaching for those dreams.
Darthclaw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 02:32 PM   #2
ProfessorChomp
Regular

Default Re: Producers want writers to do all?

All of that stuff is their job, not yours. Not sure why they're even asking - I've never heard of that.
ProfessorChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 04:31 PM   #3
StoryWriter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthclaw13 View Post
Hi everyone! I hope your day is going well.

I wanted to ask if anyone here has had this same experience.

I have noticed a trend when querying producers/prodcos that even though they seem to really like the idea/concept of a script and they are interested in moving forward (even without reading said script) they want many things done first (by the writer) like name talent attached, a full budget written out, seed money attached, and even a full business plan written up first before they will look at the script.
I've always been a little snarky, but I got that kind of response I think I'd just ask them: "What do I need you for?"
Old 07-16-2016, 05:17 PM   #4
CthulhuRises

Unless you're approaching a company that only takes on already packaged, or partially packaged scripts (like a Nu Image), usually when a Producer says that, it's a way of blowing you off politely, but still leaving the door open in the very unlikely event that you do all the legwork and then they can jump onboard should you for whatever reason decide to get back in touch with them.
CthulhuRises is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 12:55 AM   #5
EdFury

Quote:
Originally Posted by StoryWriter View Post
I've always been a little snarky, but I got that kind of response I think I'd just ask them: "What do I need you for?"
That was exactly what I thought.

What this is, I'm afraid, is a very complicated pass. They're not interested in your script, because if they were they'd do all the things they're asking you to do. And pay you to do it. So... Let it go.
EdFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 03:53 PM   #6
ComicBent

I don't work in the business, but ... man, that situation sounds completely bizarre. As a couple of you said, I think it must be a way of saying no.

But why couldn't they just say: "This is not something that we would be interested in, but please keep us in mind for any other projects that you might have."

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." ComicBent.
ComicBent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 10:08 AM   #7
TigerFang

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darthclaw13 View Post

Maybe it's me but I always thought the above things were supposed to be done by the production company, producer, line producer, etc. not the writer.
Anyone else seen this/experienced this?
Aim higher.
TigerFang is offline   Reply With Quote