Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-02-2010, 12:07 PM   #41
joe9alt

Default Re: J.J. Abrams

Oh boy...this has tangent written all over it but are you saying because it was Paula Wagner that Rantanplan shouldn't have said chick??? As if there would have been some sort of different outcome had Rantanplan said woman or female or whatever??? Just so I'm clear.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:23 PM   #42
sc111

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe9alt View Post
Oh boy...this has tangent written all over it but are you saying because it was Paula Wagner that Rantanplan shouldn't have said chick???
It's possible. Women in power - especially in Paula Wagner's generation - can be sensitive to women being called chicks.

Especially since she made the chicken remark. She wasn't being dumb, I suspect she was being facetious to call attention to the term.
sc111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 12:42 PM   #43
WritersBlock2010

Quote:
Oh boy...this has tangent written all over it but are you saying because it was Paula Wagner that Rantanplan shouldn't have said chick??? As if there would have been some sort of different outcome had Rantanplan said woman or female or whatever??? Just so I'm clear.
I am not Paula Wagner, nor was I there to witness the exchange, obviously.

But there is a good chance she was offended, even if ever so slightly and this is just something you have to be careful of in the world we live in today.

For the record, I hate Political Correctness. I think it has done more to divide people rather than bring them together, ironically.

However, given the situation we are discussing and what is a predominantly male dominated field... All I am suggesting is people be aware of any possible biases that might exist (you and the other person) and always err on the side of caution. I don't think this is too much to ask and it comes down to respect. Real respect, not the fake, or forced kind P.C. tries to force on everybody whether they like it, or not.
Old 01-02-2010, 12:44 PM   #44
joe9alt

I'm just gonna let this one go. This type of stuff makes my head explode.

I'll just say that I didn't get anywhere in this business (I haven't gotten that far but I'm making steady progress) until I started being myself...on the page...in the room...wherever.
Old 01-02-2010, 02:17 PM   #45
WritersBlock2010

Quote:

I'll just say that I didn't get anywhere in this business (I haven't gotten that far but I'm making steady progress) until I started being myself...on the page...in the room...wherever.
Thank you, for allowing all of us to have thoughts and opinions of our own
Old 01-02-2010, 03:35 PM   #46
sc111

Quote:

I'm a big fan of being oneself. It rings genuine and resonates to most people. And if referring to women as chicks is a point of self-expression for anyone, including women, go for it.

Just know it may turn some women off. That's the risk you take. And, in this situation - Rantan doing a ballsy cold pitch to Wagner (which I think is so cool of him) - keep in mind that when you approach people this way, they're looking for a good, justifiable reason to say, "No." Referring to a female protag as a chick could possibly have handed Wagner her justifiable reason. Possibly.
sc111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 03:41 PM   #47
Rantanplan

Um, she thought I said chicken because I said CHICK IN (it). Personally I thought it was kind of funny and we all laughed at it.

As for why I mentioned that, I mentioned it because that's who's the lead character in my script. DUH. I would have mentioned that regardless of which Hollywood Big Shot I was talking to.

I mean, the first thing anyone says about any story is, Well, it's about this guy see. Or, well it's about this woman, see.

I think I'm with Joe on this one, my head might not be ready to explose, but it sure as hell is spinning
Rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:35 PM   #48
jimjimgrande

your problem was female actioner = box office poison

You should have pitched a story with a chicken

Chicken Run meets MI:3 = four quadrant box office gold!!!

jimjimgrande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2010, 09:43 PM   #49
Rantanplan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjimgrande View Post
your problem was female actioner = box office poison

You should have pitched a story with a chicken

Chicken Run meets MI:3 = four quadrant box office gold!!!
Actually I just read somewhere recently that flicks with femme leads were sort of hot right now, can't remember where.

Anyway, it comes and goes. There have been male directors who totally dig strong female leads, two obvious ones being Tarantino and Cameron.

Angelina seems to have done OK with the Tomb Raider series, as did Kate Beckingsale with the Underworld flicks. You can argue that both of those already had a built-in fan base due to material or genre, but still, they were chicks who carried the films and totally rocked, so I really don't think that's a death curse anymore.

Meh, what do I know.
Rantanplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 12:44 AM   #50
jimjimgrande

We'll see how SALT does. That was a Tom Cruise movie before he dropped and and Jolie stepped in.

jimjimgrande is offline   Reply With Quote