Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-27-2011, 07:06 AM   #31
Richmond Weems

Default Re: Beware of Development Interns stealing your ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcmartell View Post
HH - I think there are phases for a writer, and my guess is that Josh had reached a point where after being screwed over on films like CHAIN REACTION (etc) and earning his place at the big boy's table, he thought he was doing International Star a favor by writing his script... and International Star treated him like crap. I know this phase - when you think you've finally paid your dues and people are going to stop treating you like crap... but they still do. You can say "Screw this guy!" because there is someone else who will pay you and be slightly less of an a-hole. People like International Star never realize that they are stars because someone wrote that story bullshit really well.
That's a good point, Bill. I don't know who this 'josh' is, and I don't know where he is on the food chain, but I can see how if you've done your time, feel good about what you do, and then see/hear your vocation pissed on...Ok, I get that valid reaction.

I still think this Us vs Them mentality is detrimental in the long run. Maybe I'm naive, I don't know, but it seems like it just means that the writer is already defensive, and the comments tend to reinforce the, "Yeah, the stupid 'suits'".

Anyway, this has nothing to do with the OP so...PLAGIARISM BAD. Stupid Dr. Evil interns!

HH
Richmond Weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:23 AM   #32
Paul Striver
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldhecuba View Post
I don't know who this 'josh' is
You know how to use Google though, right? Google "Josh Friedman" -- not upper echelon, but definitely above the middle. He speaks from experience and he's successful enough that I think we can say it's not just sour grapes.
Paul Striver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:47 AM   #33
Richmond Weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Striver View Post
You know how to use Google though, right?
I think so, but seeing as how I only saw 'josh' on the blog, and seeing as how the 'about me' section on that blog is ohso not informative, and since I didn't read any other post on that blog, and since the point I was making basically had nothing to do with that particular 'josh', well, thanks, anyway.

HH
Richmond Weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 09:02 AM   #34
jcgary

If Josh isn't upper echelon, then who is?
jcgary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 07:06 PM   #35
Slappynipsy

Also, beware of BATS
Slappynipsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2011, 08:40 PM   #36
Mario_C
Regular

Parallel development, it's a mother******.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:02 AM   #37
sc111

When I heard about the film, Cowboys and Aliens, I laughed, because the idea flitted across my brain about three years ago when I was toying with other alien ideas. However, that one I did not write down. Maybe it was already floating in the collective consciousness -- prime for the taking.

The process of developing concepts is a mental process that can absolutely be duplicated. I've seen it happen in the ad industry too.

You noodle around an idea and more than one person (way more than one) will take it to its logical conclusion. I think it proves we're more interconnected than we are unique and singular. Maybe that's getting too Zen ... though.
Old 09-28-2011, 08:09 AM   #38
zenplato

As Norm once said,

"It's a dog eat dog world, Woody and I'm wearing Milk Bone underwear."
Old 09-28-2011, 11:06 AM   #39
Filmfelinemeowmeow
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by odocoileus View Post
Nobody on a network TV show ever reads any script sent to them at random through the mail. Your script got as far as the production office, and one of the office PA's threw it out with the trash.
The chances of someone coming up with the same 'gimick idea' for the same show around the SAME time are slim to none. It is likely that someone who read it - used it. Occam's razor.
Filmfelinemeowmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2011, 11:13 AM   #40
Filmfelinemeowmeow
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattleDolphinZero View Post
btw, Filmfeline, I think you have a good attitude about it all.
Thanks battle dolphin. I started in drama at age 7. If I was a one time fluke who doesn't know dick about what she's doing I would dance up and down yelling about it searching for a lawyer, but that's no way to be. I have stuff that is way better than that. It's like someone stealing my fart to show off with you know? Let them, if they have to sink that low, they'll have no longevity. I didn't bust my ass in college just so I can lose my head over one TV script, but it was good to learn a lesson from. Protecting your ass is never a bad idea. Even if it costs $$, right?

PS: sorry guys - I don't know why my **** is posting twice...
Filmfelinemeowmeow is offline   Reply With Quote