2012 HeartWalk: Get considered by Benderspink and Help Fight Heart Disease...

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 2012 HeartWalk: Get considered by Benderspink and Help Fight Heart Disease...

The Heart Walk is October 6th so it will be open until around then. I'll make some sort of "last call" announcement.
    "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

Re: 2012 HeartWalk: Get considered by Benderspink and Help Fight Heart Disease...

Kudos to you Joe and Dan Vang. Nice idea.

EJ

Comment

I'll ask him.
        "I hate to break it to you but there is no big lie. There is no system. The universe is indifferent.- - Don Draper

Comment

Short films are fine to submit since Benderspink also reps directors.

Comment

I'm in- sent you a PM. Thanks for the opportunity- great cause!

Comment

We've raised $1,225 in just a few days.

Great work, everybody. Thanks so much for your charitable spirits.

Here's hoping we top last year's total of two writers gaining representation while also supporting the American Heart Association's great cause.

Comment

Joe, glad you're doing this again. I participated last time and was fortunate enough to get a meeting with Daniel and now I'm represented by BenderSpink. Daniel and Joe are great guys for doing this. Daniel is an amazing reader. He's straightforward and honest but isn't afraid to take a chance. I'm living proof of that.

I donated again this time but not to be read but rather as a show of gratitude for what this has done for me. I'll continue to donate as long as Joe does it. But the amounts will go up, the more success I see.

Anyway, just wanted to come out of the shadows to show that it does work and it's worth a shot. Worst case scenario you've donated a little bit of money to a great cause. So, seems like you can't lose.

Thanks everyone and good luck.

Comment

What's the expected turnaround time on the reviews? There must be loads clogging up his desk now. Also, not to sound arsey but does he give them a "fair" read or, due to time constraints, tskim reads, focussing on dialogue etc?
                  M.A.G.A.

Comment

Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
                    What's the expected turnaround time on the reviews?
                    I don't know. Soon? Days? Weeks? Months? As soon as he can get to it I'm sure. I got the guy to commit to opening this window. I'm not gonna start making demands and trying to micro-manage his schedule. Everybody who donated/submitted last time got considered and a couple writers got signed. That's good enough for me. I'm not gonna start demanding Dan drop everything in read. He's also balancing a highly demanding day job remember.

Originally posted by SundownInRetreat View Post
                    There must be loads clogging up his desk now. Also, not to sound arsey but does he give them a "fair" read or, due to time constraints, tskim reads, focussing on dialogue etc?
                    Well, only a moron would agree to do something like this and then NOT give the script a "fair" read. Dan's not a moron. Anybody who knows him can attest that he's a smart, capable guy on the rise. Sure he wants to support the American Heart Association's great cause but he's also doing this because he's hungry. He wants to find that diamond in the rough. He wants to make his name as a rep by making yours as a writer. You don't find talent like that by skimming reads.

Dan's a good guy as Ryan just attested to. If you donate your work will be fairly considered. You'll just have to take my word for it.

Comment

Woah...I only asked a couple of questions, dude.
                      M.A.G.A.

Comment

And I answered them.

Comment

hey Joe -- i too missed out last year, but that might be a good thing since writing always improves over time. anyhoo, my question: seriously, what's the best type/genre of script to send. i mainly write drama's which i don't think Benderspink cares much for, so i know it's worth it for the HeartWalk, but will it be worth it for me?

Comment

Thanx for the shot, Joe!

Comment

I would send your best work, regardless of genre. If a rep sees a voice and talent that they believe can be developed he or she can steer that voice and talent toward a genre they view as a good fit for the writer's skills.

I think people overrate the genre thing personally.

Send your best work regardless of genre.

I'll shoot him an email asking this question, though, and then I'll post what he says.

Comment

This is what he says you should send...

Best writing sample. We do it all. We’re working on dramas to comedies to comic books. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X