Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Loading

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Articles, Books, Blogs, Magazines, DVDs & Podcasts
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2012, 01:22 PM   #171
mge457
Regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 389
Default Re: The New Black List

Quick note Franklin, when I received the invite 2 days ago, it went straight to my spam folder in Gmail. Not sure what triggered it as spam, but thought it was something worth mentioning.
__________________
"Write every day. Don't quit. The rest is all bullshit." - Brian Koppelman
mge457 is offline  
Old 10-17-2012, 01:23 PM   #172
Hamboogul
Member
 
Hamboogul's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary
Posts: 2,302
Default Re: The New Black List

Jeff,

The shorter answer:

A Wednesday query email to a manager who NEVER reads query emails. But that week, the manager agreed to promote his assistant to junior manager. And feeling empowered, this not-yet-junior manager went through the trash bin of his boss's email box. And the not-yet-manager confessed that he noticed my query email because he's Korean and my name is Korean. And he requested the script because the logline felt promising.

And then the following Monday, he told his boss "You have to read this script. It's amazing." The boss would reply "Don't get too excited about query letters. They are all bad. Read a dozen more and you'll know exactly what I mean." And every single day, the assistant would bother the boss "You have to read the script, you have to read the script." And the assistant called me every other day and lied with "My boss really digs the concept. He's busy but it's on his desk." So it took another month for the boss to read it. And probably another week before WME, UTA, and CAA all expressed interest on the same script that was unanswered by 50+ query letters except for that one assistant who felt empowered that one week.

So it was through a query letter. And lots of fortunate timing for everyone.

The longer answer deals with my writing journey which is not nearly as relevant in this thread about Blacklist and about using any means to find the one gatekeeper who will champion your script.
Hamboogul is offline  
Old 10-17-2012, 01:35 PM   #173
Richmond Weems
Member
 
Richmond Weems's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,581
Default Re: The New Black List

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamboogul View Post
Jeff,

The shorter answer:

A Wednesday query email to a manager who NEVER reads query emails. But that week, the manager agreed to promote his assistant to junior manager. And feeling empowered, this not-yet-junior manager went through the trash bin of his boss's email box. And the not-yet-manager confessed that he noticed my query email because he's Korean and my name is Korean. And he requested the script because the logline felt promising.

And then the following Monday, he told his boss "You have to read this script. It's amazing." The boss would reply "Don't get too excited about query letters. They are all bad. Read a dozen more and you'll know exactly what I mean." And every single day, the assistant would bother the boss "You have to read the script, you have to read the script." And the assistant called me every other day and lied with "My boss really digs the concept. He's busy but it's on his desk." So it took another month for the boss to read it. And probably another week before WME, UTA, and CAA all expressed interest on the same script that was unanswered by 50+ query letters except for that one assistant who felt empowered that one week.

So it was through a query letter. And lots of fortunate timing for everyone.

The longer answer deals with my writing journey which is not nearly as relevant in this thread about Blacklist and about using any means to find the one gatekeeper who will champion your script.
Love this kinda stuff. Good for you, Ham.

HH
Richmond Weems is offline  
Old 10-17-2012, 02:19 PM   #174
figment
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 902
Default Re: The New Black List

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc111 View Post
I have a couple of questions. Sincere questions.

Let's say a writer researches contacts and develops a list of those most likely to be interested in scripts like their own. Then queries a logline to this targeted list only to end up with radio silence, no reads. Why would the same logline be more likely to garner reads on the NBL?

Is it because the reader can remain anonymous? He/she doesn't have to reveal their identity to the writer and deal with anxious 'Did you read it yet?' emails. Is it the coverage score?
I would imagine it would be because of the coverage score. Because they'd feel like it would be worth their time -- somebody else has already given it a thumbs up.

I just don't know why anyone would keep a script up if it wasn't given a great score, to be honest.
figment is offline  
Old 10-17-2012, 02:26 PM   #175
falcon18
User
 
falcon18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: santa monica
Posts: 60
Default Re: The New Black List

This could be a good gamble for exceptional writers. The cream scripts will get plenty of attention. Another credible outlet is always good... of course naive writers with bad scripts will finance the whole experiment.
falcon18 is offline  
Old 10-17-2012, 02:27 PM   #176
cshel
Member
 
cshel's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: My liberal limousine
Posts: 1,705
Post Re: The New Black List

Another thing that I realized about this from reading a post on the other BL thread. (There really should be one thread on this somehow.)

The poster joined, unrated, and immediately had some views. He probably correctly came to the conclusion that every time another curious unrepped writer reads your logline it will count as a view. So you could have 500 views and no read requests without knowing if a professional ever read your LL. You could come to the erroneous conclusion that nobody is requesting your script because the pros don't like your LL, etc., and take it off, when that might not even be the case.

One of my concerns is the fact that all unrepped writers could see all the others. Here's another reason why that's not a good idea. It muddies the whole tracking of your stats benefit, one of the supposed selling points.
__________________
“The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson
cshel is offline  
Old 10-17-2012, 02:55 PM   #177
Geoff Alexander
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,589
Default Re: The New Black List

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc111 View Post
I have a couple of questions. Sincere questions.

Let's say a writer researches contacts and develops a list of those most likely to be interested in scripts like their own. Then queries a logline to this targeted list only to end up with radio silence, no reads. Why would the same logline be more likely to garner reads on the NBL?

Is it because the reader can remain anonymous? He/she doesn't have to reveal their identity to the writer and deal with anxious 'Did you read it yet?' emails. Is it the coverage score?

I guess I'm still not clear on why this service improves your odds over traditional querying. Doesn't it still come down to concept first?
Because the writers' targets, i.e., buyers/reps create a profile within the system that includes their preferences and taste as interpreted by ranking a minimum of 50 scripts and thereby generating matches. The system takes that profile and then finds scripts which match in terms of genre, ratings, etc.. So, the reads aren't being generated by someone seeing your logline, as they would in traditional queries, they are generated by the system matching your script to people who have already expressed an interest in its qualities.

The theory seems to be that, as users add data into the system about their own taste, the system gets really good at predicting if you will like a script or not, and then actively pings the user with specific recommendations.

At least that's how it seems to work. I started rating scripts and I can see it starting to dial in the prediction on how I will rate i the future. Pretty interesting.
Geoff Alexander is offline  
Old 10-17-2012, 03:21 PM   #178
JeffLowell
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,051
Default Re: The New Black List

It's an interesting idea. My guess is that most people will just read scripts that get great coverage. I can't see busy CEs giving themselves homework by entering in their detailed reaction to scripts. But maybe...
JeffLowell is offline  
Old 10-17-2012, 06:31 PM   #179
Rhodi
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 579
Default Re: The New Black List

I think one of the problems with the current system is that it relies very heavily on "the logline" or "the concept" rather than "the script" and "the execution".

In my utopian la-la land, companies would employ additional in-house readers to review a greater amount of material, but it appears the trend in that regard is in the other direction.
Rhodi is offline  
Old 10-17-2012, 06:36 PM   #180
ATB
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 2,291
Default Re: The New Black List

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhodi View Post
I think one of the problems with the current system is that it relies very heavily on "the logline" or "the concept" rather than "the script" and "the execution".
How is this a problem?
__________________

ATB is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:57 PM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Done Deal Pro

eXTReMe Tracker