Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-11-2012, 10:55 AM   #1
seanryan
User

Default Amazon Studios

I know this should have come up as a topic on this board before now, but I find myself confused by Amazon studios selection process.

I've considered throwing my hat into the ring for rewrites and have read a couple of the scripts that have been picked up and was surprised to read they were very much in the first draft zone and needed page one rewrites with ideas that have been done before.

Some of the more recent scripts added to their development slate have been snapped up really quick by the site and have only been up there for a matter of weeks.

Why do the opposite of a real studio and pick up scripts that are going to take a lot of time and money to develop?

Last edited by seanryan : 11-11-2012 at 11:19 AM.
seanryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:15 AM   #2
Richmond Weems

Default Re: Amazon Studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanryan View Post
I've considered throwing my hate into the wring for rewrites
I know you didn't mean to, but I love that.

As far as AS goes, there's numerous threads on here regarding them. Just do a search on "Amazon Studios" and let the confusion, hate and bile wash over you.

HH
Richmond Weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2012, 11:20 AM   #3
seanryan
User

lol - typed on my cell phone and typos a plenty
seanryan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 09:32 AM   #4
stainjm

John August had an interesting comment on AS the other day - while everyone pretty much bashes them, he speculated that maybe that would be a good way to go with animation, since animation is so hard to sell elsewhere and their interesting things they do with storyboards etc.
stainjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 11:09 AM   #5
Geoff Alexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanryan View Post
I know this should have come up as a topic on this board before now, but I find myself confused by Amazon studios selection process.

I've considered throwing my hat into the ring for rewrites and have read a couple of the scripts that have been picked up and was surprised to read they were very much in the first draft zone and needed page one rewrites with ideas that have been done before.

Some of the more recent scripts added to their development slate have been snapped up really quick by the site and have only been up there for a matter of weeks.

Why do the opposite of a real studio and pick up scripts that are going to take a lot of time and money to develop?
Everything that Amazon is doing pretty much sucks--except for the fact that they have paid out some money to writers. Beyond that, it's all lame and comes across about as half assed as it possibly could.
Geoff Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2012, 01:15 PM   #6
WriterManJimbo
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoff Alexander View Post
Everything that Amazon is doing pretty much sucks--except for the fact that they have paid out some money to writers. Beyond that, it's all lame and comes across about as half assed as it possibly could.

I think the lamest thing they're doing -- they're being public about it. I bet if most producers and studios sort of openly laid several of their cards on the table they would also come under criticism from those of us who thought we were better writers and had better scripts.

It's harder to critique what is private and secret.

That said, I get the feeling Amazon is evolving. They're going directly to agents/managers for rewrites on some projects. They're hiring artists and animators for their 'tests' instead of engaging in public efforts/contests.

And their tests...I don't understand how full length test movies could ever tell you anything outside of a very specific focus grouped session. I could see where a writer might be able to do that and get some notice...but Amazon seems to be thinking these animatics will 'catch fire' somewhere/somehow with the public. Maybe if they did real animation instead of video storyboards or if they did one or two amazing scenes from a full length movie...maybe...but tot think storyboards are going to go viral to the point where the audience is demanding to see more...

I ain't buying it.

I suspect in a year or two, that process will become an afterthought and Amazon will be operating like most other studios.
WriterManJimbo is offline   Reply With Quote