Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-26-2019, 08:42 PM   #41
JS90
User

Default Re: Querying studios

Quote:
Originally Posted by GucciGhostXXX View Post
But the town seems way harder/different now.
Out of curiosity, since it sounds like you've been around the block once or twice, what factors do you think have made the process of breaking in more difficult in such a short amount of time?
JS90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2019, 10:04 PM   #42
GucciGhostXXX

Quote:
Originally Posted by JS90 View Post
Out of curiosity, since it sounds like you've been around the block once or twice, what factors do you think have made the process of breaking in more difficult in such a short amount of time?
I honestly don't have a good answer. It's probably multitiered. Agents used to do a bit of developing and take risks on clients, not anymore. Money has dried up. More corporate interests. Less films made every year. The reboot/remake craze at insanity levels now. Etc. A slew of things made it mush easier last time for me, not easy, it was hard, but not THIS hard.

I wouldn't even know what advice to give nowadays as ways to break in. BIO pic about the dude who invented hotdogs?? No clue what these people are looking for. I wouldn't even say I've broken back in realistically, I've yet to sell anything new. I consider generals pretty much a failure, that's not a sale and those meetings, while entertaining, never lead anywhere (at least for me). I merely have representation.

Good luck!
GucciGhostXXX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 03:00 AM   #43
JoeNYC

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnyOtherName View Post
I have a hard time believing you've become apoplectic simply because you took issue with my word choice
What I took issue with is that I gave an opinion and instead of just disagreeing with it and giving your opinion on the matter, you found it necessary to throw shade at my idea that managers know the market by ridiculing it.

You've stated that you didn't mean to offend. Okay, cool. Let's move on.

Last edited by JoeNYC : 06-27-2019 at 07:19 AM.
JoeNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 12:47 PM   #44
finalact4

i do agree that a good manager can be a big asset when it comes to story. every writer, manager, agent, producer, etc will have strengths and weaknesses.

the manager i had was really good at story and was a screenwriter in the past, but i will say he seemed a little lost when i tried something new. and definitely had no suggestions on how i convert a feature to a pilot. that was a bit of a problem.

and i don't know how to determine who is a good manager other than the ones that sell a lot of projects. i'm growing concerned with that as i get closed to updating my list of 400 contacts, you know? i only have a sense for a handful.
Old 06-27-2019, 02:04 PM   #45
Satriales
User

My manager had sold nothing. He was new. But he had a three letter agency background in the story department and production/financier experience as well. And I could see on the Tracking Board he was getting scripts into the right places. Track record is great. For someone in my position, it was a matter of buying low and projecting future performance. That’s my experience with it.

There are a couple of much discussed managers on this board that get **** sold. But as a writer breaking in are they doing deep development with you? Maybe you don’t need that. I do/did. Of course there are plenty of guys who can do both. The Bellevue guys would be an example of that.
Satriales is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 03:52 PM   #46
finalact4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satriales View Post
My manager had sold nothing. He was new. But he had a three letter agency background in the story department and production/financier experience as well. And I could see on the Tracking Board he was getting scripts into the right places. Track record is great. For someone in my position, it was a matter of buying low and projecting future performance. Thatís my experience with it.

There are a couple of much discussed managers on this board that get **** sold. But as a writer breaking in are they doing deep development with you? Maybe you donít need that. I do/did. Of course there are plenty of guys who can do both. The Bellevue guys would be an example of that.
wow, for such a small group they have a lot in development. thanks for the tip.
Old 06-28-2019, 12:29 AM   #47
AnyOtherName
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satriales View Post
There are a couple of much discussed managers on this board that get **** sold. But as a writer breaking in are they doing deep development with you? Maybe you donít need that. I do/did. Of course there are plenty of guys who can do both. The Bellevue guys would be an example of that.
The Bellevue guys have their pros and cons, but their main thing is definitely development. IMO, there are far better managers out there when it comes to the business of getting writers jobs.
AnyOtherName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 06:29 AM   #48
docgonzo

Quote:
The Bellevue guys have their pros and cons, but their main thing is definitely development. IMO, there are far better managers out there when it comes to the business of getting writers jobs.
Such as?
docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 09:49 AM   #49
AnyOtherName
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by docgonzo View Post
Such as?
I mean, in general, the problem small management companies face is that they don't have the manpower to cover buyers, which limits their information, which limits their effectiveness. There are a few exceptions-- one-man shops made up of ex-agents, for instance, are often still being slipped good, up-to-date grids by their former agencies.

But from what I understand, John and Jeff really aren't in that business. They pretty much develop specs and send them out and that's it. If they get you good agents who'll do the rest, and you're comfortable with that setup, great. But it's a very different experience than being repped at Kaplan/Perrone or 3Arts or 360, etc., with attendant pros and cons. You have to decide which pros outweigh which cons for you.
AnyOtherName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2019, 10:11 AM   #50
JoeNYC

Quote:
I mean, in general, the problem small management companies face is that they don't have the manpower to cover buyers, which limits their information, which limits their effectiveness.
I agree with this.

This is why, especially in these cases, it's important to add an agent to the team. Now, if the manager has the connections and relationships to obtain their client a credible agent, is another matter. This is one of the things that a writer would need to discuss with any potential managers before they agree to become a client.
JoeNYC is offline   Reply With Quote