Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bright

Just got done watching this film on netflix. I have mixed feelings about it although I did enjoy it for the originality.

I had heard it was originally supposed to be a warner bros. series, but that fell thru. So then netflix picked it up but changed it to a trilogy, but they do not market it that way so most folks think it is a stand alone film. However as a stand alone film it falls way short and feels like most of the film was cut out so it could be concentrated down to mostly action scenes. The heart was cut out of it in my opinion.

I am hoping with the sequential two remaining parts that it will go deeper into the world (which is a very interesting world) and that it will make more sense.

A lot of the dialog doesn't match up with what is visually going on. Plus again, mumble issues so I recommend subtitles.

Joel Edgerton does a really good job as the orc cop partner of Will Smith. And honestly, Smith does well in this role. He has had several stinker films of late, so it's nice to see him doing better acting in this film.

There is a lot going on in this film with wands, several different groups/cults/gangs, prophecies, fed agents, cops who turn corrupt, etc. that it makes it a bit haphazard to say the least.

Many undertone messages about race, class, etc.

I do love the idea of the alternate universe where humans, orcs, elves, fairies, centaur, etc. live together in a society pretty close to our own. Although, I would have liked to have seen/known more about the centaur. They only shown them twice and it is at a distance.

So maybe with the next 2 films it will help make this first one more likeable to many out there who hated it.

I personally liked it but it was too jumbled. They should have left it a series, but I guess Smith couldn't or wouldn't agree to be in a series.

Re: Bright

Yeah I liked it well enough. It held my attention for stretches which a lot of TV can't do. Certainly wasn't the greatest movie in the world but i don't understand the critical abuse it's had - 30% on RT?
    I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

Haven't seen it but I read the script and it's non-stop action. Very little backstory or character development. The crazy world of fairies and orcs living with humans is just thrown out there as a given. I'm looking forward to seeing it but it's not the top of my queue.

Late Night Writer

Comment

Bit of a mess with too many ideas thrown around to do any of them justice. In the end it took a premise with huge potential and delivered something instantly forgettable. Some strong performances but not enough to have me tune in for the sequel. Would have made much more sense as a TV show.

Comment

Originally posted by LateNightWriter View Post
          Haven't seen it but I read the script and it's non-stop action. Very little backstory or character development. The crazy world of fairies and orcs living with humans is just thrown out there as a given. I'm looking forward to seeing it but it's not the top of my queue.

Late Night Writer
          I guess I'm different, I like movies that throw you right into their world and reveal back story they go. Some movies spend half hour telling you everything and all I can think is; "Let's get it started".

I watched the movie tonight and thought it was OK. I kind of wish they would have backed off the few sleaze shots they had. It didn't add a thing to the story and (in my opinion), it killed off a big chunk of their potential audience.

It was entertaining and different. So it did it's job.
          "I just couldn't live in a world without me."

Comment

Working...
          X