Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Loading

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Business Questions and Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2011, 03:14 PM   #71
Patrick Sweeney
Moderator
 
Patrick Sweeney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Northern California
Posts: 954
Default Re: Backlash against the pros

I paid Andrew for notes on one of my scripts back in August, I think, and I'll use his service again on future scripts. At no point did he promise or even suggest he'd produce my script, hook me up with an agent, or do anything but provide feedback. Nor did he promise that if I just follow his advice, my script would win the Nicholl, have agents falling all over each other to sign me, or spark a six-figure bidding war. He delivered exactly what he promised and exactly what I paid for - an outside opinion & advice on improving my script. Everything else is up to me.

I don't mind paying for notes because it gives me access to feedback and a sense of where I stand from within the industry I'd currently have a difficult time acquiring otherwise. I don't pay for notes because I expect it to impress anyone or open any doors - I just want to make my scripts better and learn to be a better screenwriter. That's what will open doors for me.
__________________
Patrick Sweeney
Patrick Sweeney is offline  
Old 02-06-2011, 03:15 PM   #72
Derek Haas
User
 
Derek Haas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 425
Default Re: Backlash against the pros

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilRbt View Post
Derek, I resent your implication that I'm anything but honest. I don't reveal all the details here for several reasons. For starters, I don't want clients coming to me with false hope that I'll make their movie or get them repped. They should come to me for good notes, anything else is a bonus.

I'm also not going to name the client who's now with Martin Spencer at CAA. I protect clients' confidentiality.

If you want to email me, I will happily provide more details. The thriller we just made has two B-list stars. When it's finished, I want the DD'er who wrote the movie to enjoy breaking the news about it here. The fact that you claim
EVERY project gets announced should show writers that "pros" do not know everything. Even the star of the movie, when talking to the media about his last film, calls it his "secret movie."

My Legendary project is The Lost Patrol. Stephen Norrington is rewriting and will direct.

Like I said, you can email me for more information. Just quit implying I'm not legit or sincere. Cheers...

Seriously, how did this turn into a bash Andrew thread?
Didn't mean for it to be, Andrew, and I hope you don't resent someone who is trying to get to the bottom of vague claims, like any good consumer should. I'm sure you would do the same thing with any service you would consider hiring. When I went to your site, I saw a list of 50+ blockbuster movies you covered in your days as a reader. This makes it appear to me like you had something to do with the success of those movies and/or writers, or why would you list all those? It just caught me as being disingenuous. Then when I hear vague references on top of that, I grew skeptical. This is a natural reaction... please don't fault me for it. There are a TON of services like yours that are, in my professional opinion, crappy. I know we shouldn't let one bad apple spoil the bunch but there are orchards of bad apples out there.

Jeff says you offer a fair price at 70 bones and I like Jeff a lot. Now that you have your back up a bit, I do think you're honest but that you honestly promote an unnecessary service. Let me ask you this straight-up... I know Martin Spenser a bit... if I call Martin Spenser at CAA and say... "Hey, did Andrew help place a client with you?" will he say, "yes, he did. Andrew has my ear." If so, dude, I commend you and you might be the first I've ever heard of actually having the ear of a mover and shaker.

Congrats on the Stephen Norrington project... that'll be cool if that gets going. Legendary is a truly top-tier studio/producer and those guys are awesome over there.

And as for the secret movie... I sincerely look forward to seeing it.

Andrew... I'm pulling for your writing career. As far as the consulting business, I wouldn't say anything on here I wouldn't say over coffee with you so please don't get too resentful.
Derek Haas is offline  
Old 02-06-2011, 03:18 PM   #73
mariot
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 487
Default Re: Backlash against the pros

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc111 View Post
I'm not jumping on you. I'm just curious as to how justification of that 1% serves you. Maybe it's 5% or 8%. Or even 20%. How does confirming this serve you? Or, me or any aspiring screenwriter, for that matter?
Every person is different. This is how it affects me.

1%

No professional screenwriter wants to read the work of unknown writers because they assume it will suck.

Every time a studio/agency reader opens a script from an unknown they assume it will suck.

God, am I one of the delusional people who think they might one day have a real chance at making a living as a screenwriter?

Wait, if the 99% of bad scripts are bad because people are writing about little deaf girls and I don't write about little deaf girls maybe I really could be in that 1%.

Approximately 20%

Before knowing it was approximately 20%:

Wow, this guy reads a lot of scripts and look at all these positive things he has to say. I keep hearing how the majority of scripts by new writers suck. Doesn't sound like this guy thinks I suck. Maybe I could really have a shot at this career.

Wait, this seems too positive. Look at all these positive adjectives. Does this really mean anything or is this just sugar coating. Maybe everyone gets lots of positive adjectives so they don't get discouraged.

Wait, maybe I am really close, maybe it really does just need a little more work.

Wait, I think it needs a lot more work than he does. How can that be?

After knowing it was approximately 20%

****, now I have no idea at all where this really stands. My script isn't one of the 1% that doesn't completely suck. 20% got some kind of consider. What were the other 80% like? Were they really, really bad scripts about little deaf girls?

Should I even be pursuing this as a profession?
mariot is offline  
Old 02-06-2011, 03:26 PM   #74
Brian Koppelman
User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 109
Unhappy Re: Backlash against the pros

Couple things: 1) I am not offended or bothered. 2) Like Derek I came over here because I would have loved access to this kind of resource when I was starting out. Any advice I offer is based on my experience, observations and opinions. That's it. If it resonates, apply it. If not, go your own way.

The only central idea that I want to get across is this: calculate less. Find something that you really want to write about, that excites you, fascinates you, keeps you in its thrall. I still approach ALL originals that way. I never think about the market when I am deciding what to write. Only about the story I have to tell. And then I work it as hard and as passionately as I can. And that's the way I did it at the very beginning too. Really. I know this is counter to a ton of what you hear. But careers that last longest often start with much less calculation and much more heart.
Brian Koppelman is offline  
Old 02-06-2011, 03:27 PM   #75
ducky1288
Member
 
ducky1288's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: LA area transplanted from the south
Posts: 1,415
Default Re: Backlash against the pros

Quote:
Originally Posted by via negativa View Post
Why won't people say who they're repped by? Is it really that bad around here, that you can't even say who represents you, because some idiots will harass you and run you off, if it's an agent they had their eyes on?
Possibly. You ever see anyone post, "I'm repped by __________ at ________ agency/management company."

Let me know when you find one lol

I think it's more fear of someone judging who reps them. Like if you said you're repped by Mike Esola then people might PM you asking for his email. If you said you were repped by Joe Schmoe with no credits and a company that's not well known then people will call you out on it.
__________________
Quack.

Writer on a cable drama.
ducky1288 is offline  
Old 02-06-2011, 03:30 PM   #76
EvilRbt
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Posts: 1,178
Default Re: Backlash against the pros

No harm, no foul. I guess I got defensive because I don't read through threads very often, yet whenever I do I often see consultants getting bashed.

I don't even share half of my own industry experience or contacts on here. So you might be surprised who I know and don't know.

You ever want to grab coffee, I will be happy to share more. Peace.
__________________
.

NOTES / COVERAGE
10,000+ Screenplays
DD Thread Facebook
screenplaymechanic@gmail.com
EvilRbt is offline  
Old 02-06-2011, 03:30 PM   #77
Derek Haas
User
 
Derek Haas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 425
Default Re: Backlash against the pros

I'm repped by Jeff Gorin at WME. And Andrew Deane at Industry Entertainment.
Derek Haas is offline  
Old 02-06-2011, 03:31 PM   #78
Derek Haas
User
 
Derek Haas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 425
Default Re: Backlash against the pros

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilRbt View Post
No harm, no foul. I guess I got defensive because I don't read through threads very often, yet whenever I do I often see consultants getting bashed.

I don't even share half of my own industry experience or contacts on here. So you might be surprised who I know and don't know.

You ever want to grab coffee, I will be happy to share more. Peace.
I'd be happy to... let's do this! derek@derekhaas.com.
Derek Haas is offline  
Old 02-06-2011, 03:35 PM   #79
MrEarbrass
Regular
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Posts: 233
Default Re: Backlash against the pros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Haas View Post
Jeff says you offer a fair price at 70 bones and I like Jeff a lot. Now that you have your back up a bit, I do think you're honest but that you honestly promote an unnecessary service.
Just because it's unnecessary to you doesn't mean it's unnecessary. People who don't have managers and agents and friends who are pro writers need quality feedback too. And yeah, one way to get that feedback is to network online or move to LA and become an assistant. Another way is to find someone like Andrew who once served as a gatekeeper and pay 70 bucks. There are lots of roads in this business.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Haas View Post
Let me ask you this straight-up... I know Martin Spenser a bit... if I call Martin Spenser at CAA and say... "Hey, did Andrew help place a client with you?" will he say, "yes, he did. Andrew has my ear." If so, dude, I commend you and you might be the first I've ever heard of actually having the ear of a mover and shaker.
I don't think you remember how hard it can be to get read at the beginning of your career--especially if you don't want to start at the bottom of the food chain. The manager with whom I signed doesn't even open queries. Period. So Andrew's referral meant everything.

All of which, by the way, isn't even the point. I was paying for feedback, I thought 70 bucks was a more-than-fair price, and everything else was an unexpected bonus.
MrEarbrass is offline  
Old 02-06-2011, 03:38 PM   #80
JeffLowell
Member
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 3,052
Default Re: Backlash against the pros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek Haas View Post
I do disagree with BDZ. I think you can get where you want in Hollywood if you have talent and work hard without ever paying a consultant.
I agree. And here are some numbers to back up my belief.
JeffLowell is offline  
Closed Thread


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:08 PM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Done Deal Pro

eXTReMe Tracker