No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: New Philosophy

Originally posted by Bono View Post
    Is this spec with your unrepped friend still in play? Did you try to show it to others who may not agree and be fine with reading it.

My other friend was more like Jeff -- he said "they don't give a sh%t if they can make money off the script."

So I was 100% told team or nothing, but if they do read the actual script, and they love it, I don't think that would stop them... but if they won't read the script at all... that's tough.

Script is on the shelf for the time being, as I landed new representation this summer for my solo work. But if things fall into place with any of my stuff, I will definitely try to capitalize on that with that jointly written spec. When I sent that spec around to reps and a few producers, there was a lot of damning faint praise and polite passes. So it goes.

Comment

Why did you Doc and NoNeckJoe write those projects with partners? Different genres? Someone else's idea? Just curious the decisions.

For me it would be I love horror and my best friend (who doesn't write as much as he used to) wants to write horror and my writing partner is a comedy guy not a horror guy at all, so that's a reason to write with my horror buddy for instance. I could write it myself, but I think the one script we wrote as a team he helped a ton.

For comedy ideas -- the fun part of having a partner is to see if I can make him laugh. And vice versa. It's like your first audience member...
      My writing partner is a friend who had a good idea for a TV pitch and we went out to a few places. Now we're working on a pilot with a producer. So yeah, it's TV stuff with the partner, features on my own.

Comment

Originally posted by docgonzo View Post
        My writing partner is a friend who had a good idea for a TV pitch and we went out to a few places. Now we're working on a pilot with a producer. So yeah, it's TV stuff with the partner, features on my own.
        That seems like the perfect reason. And your both repped by the same manager? Did you know them before? That's ideal.

I mean the best case would be probably get signed again as a team, but the rep is open to use having side projects even if we focus on the team. Or open into getting us not sharing the same agent, etc.

I have to now go do the hard job. Actually writing.

Comment

T

I have to now go do the hard job. Actually writing.

I was going to say, isn't there a natural gut instinct that kicks in? Like a voice in your head telling you, OMG, I have GOT to write this! Or, OMG, I have GOT to tell BFF my idea so we can crank it out together!!

Follow that voice and the rest will come naturally, I would think.

Comment

My problem is I have too many ideas. Some people get inspired one at a time... but I always have many ideas in my head. So my issue is always picking the one idea to love over the others.... The 2 specs I wrote that went wide were very much like what you described though... I get that I have to write this idea, then I don't write it and then another idea sneaks in and it's just gets in the way... in short, i'm an idiot.

Comment

My current idea is to give up totally and never fail that way. Thoughts? Great.

Comment

My problem is I have too many ideas. Some people get inspired one at a time... but I always have many ideas in my head. So my issue is always picking the one idea to love over the others.... The 2 specs I wrote that went wide were very much like what you described though... I get that I have to write this idea, then I don't write it and then another idea sneaks in and it's just gets in the way... in short, i'm an idiot.
                A lot of my ideas die when I start to actually develop/outline them.

Comment

I say go for it Bono on the co-writing front if it’s a project and/or partnership you’re excited by and see where it takes you both. No reason why you can’t keep doing your own stuff on the side.

Slightly different circumstances here but I’ve co-written on a handful of things, where both myself and the other writer have UK agents, (we’re brits). I have US agents and managers too, whereas the other writer doesn’t but that still hasn’t stopped my US reps from taking projects out and setting up meetings for us both with the studios and networks. We’ve also had projects go out around Europe via our UK agents (who are at different agencies) and it’s never mattered to them either. Currently we’re both working on different tv shows and have our own individual tv and film projects in development at various places. Whenever we do work on something together our reps just team up and take the project out, much like what Jeff said, divvying up their list of targets. They’re doing it now with a book we’ve optioned.

Best of luck!

Comment

My current idea is to give up totally and never fail that way. Thoughts? Great.
                    SHUSH!!
                    Bruh, fukkin *smooches*! Feel me? Ha!

Comment

Originally posted by Mintclub View Post
                      I say go for it Bono on the co-writing front if it's a project and/or partnership you're excited by and see where it takes you both. No reason why you can't keep doing your own stuff on the side.

Slightly different circumstances here but I've co-written on a handful of things, where both myself and the other writer have UK agents, (we're brits). I have US agents and managers too, whereas the other writer doesn't but that still hasn't stopped my US reps from taking projects out and setting up meetings for us both with the studios and networks. We've also had projects go out around Europe via our UK agents (who are at different agencies) and it's never mattered to them either. Currently we're both working on different tv shows and have our own individual tv and film projects in development at various places. Whenever we do work on something together our reps just team up and take the project out, much like what Jeff said, divvying up their list of targets. They're doing it now with a book we've optioned.

Best of luck!
                      Well that's great hear. Recently I heard from a manager that said "the town knows the team, they don't care about you" basically. And I'm like it's been awhile, I don't think any of our fans would even remember us, so why does it even matter. If I write something new they like, they would just do the same thing they would if I co-write it... but it's amazing how everyone has different takes on well everything in Hollywood...

Comment

What works well for me is turning a premise into a couple page synopsis. Sometimes the legs aren't there. Another tool is to take your ideas and make a little chart of Concept, Character, Conflict, Structure, Simplicity. And kind of pursue the idea that has the highest overall rating in such categories.

Comment

I'm still digging my give up and take my ball home approach...

Comment

I'm still digging my give up and take my ball home approach...
                            Meh... The answer is N-O!

Comment

I find the term "meh" counter productive! Support me 100% like all other writers besides me do! If I want to quit, let me go!!!!

Comment

I find the term "meh" counter productive! Support me 100% like all other writers besides me do! If I want to quit, let me go!!!!
                                Just... Can't... Do... It...

Sorry tried. Apparently you're stuck here with us.

Comment

Working...
                                X