X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Concept Seller

Pop quiz.

You have a choice. You can either be:

WRITER A: Just sold a BIG IDEA spec for TWO MILLION DOLLARS, but the writing is bad. You're just not very good. The movie is getting made. You will get sole credit, but you will be massively rewritten.

or

WRITER B: Just went out with a spec that was incredibly well-written. Unfortunately, the subject matter pretty much ensures that it's not going to be a hit movie. You sell it for $80,000. People think the writing is incredible. There's a near 100% chance the movie will never get made.

Now, decide which you should be, but here's the twist. You're in debt for one million dollars.

Make your choice, and show your work.

C.

Re: The Concept Seller

May I make a suggestion?

Originally posted by Craig Mazin View Post

... Make your choice, and show your work. Grasshopper.

C.
    There. Now maybe you won't get as much backlash. Maybe.

I'd choose B. Let the creditors wait.
    Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

A. So much so that I'd say A+.

Comment

This is essentially "Do I want to be the writing team that wrote ZOOKEEPER or the writer who wrote KILLING ON CARNIVAL ROW."

Comment

I want to write the next Terminator.

Is there an App for that?
          Last edited by emily blake; 02-21-2011, 08:19 PM.
          Chicks Who Script podcast

Comment

We don't get to choose. We're either one or the other, whether we like it or not.

But I'll play, cos I'm that kind of girl...

A.

Then B. Because after the mega-hit, I get to make one brilliant but quiet one before I lose all my cred.
            sigpic

Website
            Tweets
            Book

Comment

@c.: B.

Comment

newbie question -- can you get sole credit if you're massively rewritten?

-b- i'd use the 80,000 as a downpayment on the million dollars to stave off creditors, and ride the buzz wave to an assignment. if i get the writing credibility, then i can parlay that 2 million dollar big idea into 3 and tell the creditors to kiss my a--.
                life happens
                despite a few cracked pots-
                and random sunlight

Comment

C. The script with a great high concept that also gets me meetings because people like the writing. One doesn't exclude the other.

- Bill
                  Free Script Tips:
                  http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

I'm in debt for a million?

Easy. B and declare bankruptcy.

A's taking nothing home and will likely get a few assignments down the line, but they'll peter out.

B is also taking nothing home, but by the time his credit rating clears up he'll be pulling in steady, growing work.
                    Steven Palmer Peterson

Comment

Originally posted by Craig Mazin View Post
                      Pop quiz.

You have a choice. You can either be:

WRITER A: Just sold a BIG IDEA spec for TWO MILLION DOLLARS, but the writing is bad. You're just not very good. The movie is getting made. You will get sole credit, but you will be massively rewritten.

or

WRITER B: Just went out with a spec that was incredibly well-written. Unfortunately, the subject matter pretty much ensures that it's not going to be a hit movie. You sell it for $80,000. People think the writing is incredible. There's a near 100% chance the movie will never get made.

Now, decide which you should be, but here's the twist. You're in debt for one million dollars.

Make your choice, and show your work.

C.
                      I would choose B. because:

I would rather be an incredible writer than a crappy one, incredible writing would lead to writing assignments, a better chance at longevity in a writing career, and the ability to get attention for anything else you write on spec, so eventually you have a good shot at making way more than 2 million dollars anyway.

A. would most likely make you a one hit wonder, you'd likely lose some of the money in the step deal, and you'd have a lot less than 2 million dollars after taxes.

I would only choose A. if a loved one needed money for medical care due to a horrible illness - or if my creditors were the type of guys who break your legs or worse if they don't get paid on time.
                      "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

It's tough.

Craig,

doesn't it seem like there are quite a few "A"s who work more often than the "B"s we know?

Comment

I'm definitely taking A because my writing isn't anywhere near as bad as some smug low-brow comedy writer thinks and great scripts get massively rewritten all the time.

Comment

A. Because warm fuzzies don't pay the bills. Don't judge me.

Comment

Originally posted by BattleDolphinZero View Post
                              It's tough.

Craig,

doesn't it seem like there are quite a few "A"s who work more often than the "B"s we know?
                              This.

Not to mention, you didn't say what stage Writer A is at. Perhaps he is young and hit it big. You can always improve as a writer. Having an innate ability to generate successful marketable ideas can be more difficult. I wasn't a fan of "Snow White", but I don't see Evan petering out anytime soon. Clearly he has a knack for marketable concepts.

Comment

Working...
                              X