Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Television
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 10:48 PM   #91
WritersBlock2010

Default Re: SNL - still sucks

What I've been reading is this might be Amy Pohler's last season.

She's been on almost eight years straight (2000-2008) and this is the maximum any one performer stays on the show.

If this is true I think the show is going to suffer even more if she leaves.

I know people have differing opinions about her, but I believe she is one of the few remaining talents that actually keep viewers tuning in. Her and Kristen Wiig (as far as female performers go) are probably the top two draws... But if they leave I feel the viewer ship will drop even more than it already has.

It's obvious the shows quality suffered when Tina Fey left to do "30 Rock", but even before that the quality was in decline. To me, this does point mostly to talent (staff) as one of the primary reasons the show is going down hill. It's not the only reason, but a big one because this is a talent-driven show, both in front of and behind the cameras.

So, basically, I agree I think they need new blood above all else.

The problem is if you are a successful performer (comedy troupe; stand-up comedian) and garner enough attention there are so many alternatives you can choose these days. SNL isn't the only game in town thanks to cable TV and off-beat comedy shows like "Human Giant" and "Jackass" to name a few.
Old 03-10-2008, 11:01 PM   #92
TravisBickle
User

Is Maya Rudolph still on the show?
Old 03-10-2008, 11:16 PM   #93
Goon Squad

Who cares what the ratings are? SNL isn't going anywhere and I would prefer the performers do what they want to do at the risk of alienating some viewers than pander for ratings. No show is ever going to be everything for everybody. Except "Deal or No Deal." And the less we have of that the better.

Listen, I defend SNL every time one of these threads comes up because I've been watching the show since I was WAAAAAAY to young to be watching TV of that nature and at that hour - and I hold it in the utmost respect. But I do realize that it's not always good. It ebbs, it flows, it comes, it goes. I've loathed entire seasons - multiple seasons in a row for that matter - but I still defend the show because it works.

In aggregate, I say that the show - taken as a 32 year entity (which judging from this thread is clearly older than MANY of you) - is a colossal success and until that balance is permanently and irrevocably in the red (meaning more bad years than good in total), I'll continue to support this amazing entertainment institution and the way they choose to run their show. I can weather a mediocre/bad year or two. It always comes back.

The worst Lorne Michaels season was 1994-1995. And they rebounded very, very well from that.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:00 AM   #94
WritersBlock2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goon Squad View Post

In aggregate, I say that the show - taken as a 32 year entity (which judging from this thread is clearly older than MANY of you)
I am exactly ONE year older than this show. Soon to be two come this summer.

Coincidence?

Yeah, probably so...
Old 03-11-2008, 12:04 AM   #95
Maclean
Regular

I agree that the show isn't suffering from a 'conservative' backlash or a 'liberal' backlash. It's suffering from a 'not funny' backlash.

I think most people who think SNL is in a funk would agree that it started long before Tina Fey left. I still remember people saying "Tina Fey ruined SNL" like it was saying "the sky is blue." In the last couple years, though, because of 30 Rock (because it's a damn fine show) people have begun to lay-off her with the SNL hate.

But I think she is still largely to blame.

While I love her on 30 Rock as an actress, I thought her writing was never top-drawer. Most of the cast and writers on the show who are there today were hired under her watch when she was Head Writer. Her humor and her jokes work better on a show like 30 Rock, where it's rehearsed. But on a show like SNL, where so much of it lives or dies by the actual material, her 'jokes' were hardly that.

If you look at when she took over "Weekend Update," the first thing she did was considerably cut the amount of jokes told. It was 3 jokes, then a guest. Why? Because the material was not good enough to maintain audience interest past just a few jokes. I still remember Dennis Miller or Norm McDonald (or even Colin Quin) telling funny joke after funny joke after funny joke. Under her command, it was arguably the worst and most botched part of the show. Fallon was horrible, too. But she has to take the blame since she was the one writing and approving the jokes that were used. All three of them.

Last edited by Maclean : 03-12-2008 at 05:44 PM.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:39 AM   #96
tabula rasa

Location: 'The mind is its own place and in itself, can make a Heaven of Hell, a Hell of Heaven.' Milton(1667)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tabula rasa http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...s/viewpost.gif
And you should feel free to do whatever your conscious or creative spirit tells you to do with fonts.

Some folks write in moths and some write in butterflies ...

You're not a moth clinging to a sooty Industrial England tree/
Fearing the predatory birds/
You are Free/
And your words/
Belong to thee
Your butterfly words belong to thee.

Unless you're a miner, digging in a mine, then pray proceed ...

Meanwhile, SNL still sucks, yeah.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Naudikom View Post
What the hell did you just say....
See? But you would've understood everything ... if only I'd felt comfortable typing it in purple font seven inches tall!

That's why foreplay is so important.

"As human beings, our greatness lies not so much in being able to remake the world -
that is the myth of the atomic age - as in being able to remake ourselves."
-Mahatma Gandhi.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:07 AM   #97
Goon Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maclean View Post
I still remember Dennis Miller or Norm McDonald (or even Colin Quin) telling funny joke after funny joke after funny joke.
I challenge you or anyone else to show me Colin Quinn telling funny jokes on WU. Seriously, I like him as a comic, but he was death on that show. I actually liked Norm a lot, even though a lot of SNL über fans consider him the worst ever because he played to the audience rather than the camera which was against the WU tradition.

Yes, I spend a lot of time thinking about this show.

Old 03-11-2008, 06:22 AM   #98
kintnerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12IronMonkeys View Post
I could research it myself, but I'm about to go to bed. I'll just toss this out there for now though. Do any of you guys know the ratings trend for the show over the past 5-10 years?

THANK YOU for asking this. The ratings have been essentially the same over the last 10 years, although they do spike up in election years, because SNL's political humor always draws more viewers.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:13 PM   #99
grapeape
User

I can't find a chart for the ratings over the past 30 years but I do know that a lot more than 5 million people watched SNL in the Mid nineties. Same with the early eitghties and late seventies.

This is how low SNL has sunk!
http://clipplay.com/play-8682.html

Yeah, they suck.
Old 03-11-2008, 04:22 PM   #100
WritersBlock2010

Ratings mean more to the network and advertisers than the average viewer for obvious reasons.

Just because the ratings might have remained the same doesn't mean people think the content is any good. These two are mutually exclusive (and vice versa with a lot of shows that should get better ratings, but don't).

For example, my Grandmother used to be a Nielsen home and would sometimes turn on the TV to whatever was on just to have some noise in the background when she was reading a book. However, the Nielsen box recorded this as a viewer... When she wasn't even watching the show at all.