Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > About the Craft > Screenwriting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-21-2010, 04:50 PM   #1
NikeeGoddess
User

Default The Virgin Hero/Heroine

nothing to do with sex btw. i'm just shootin' the breeze.

to me a "virgin" hero is that unique protagonist that we haven't seen before. these are the characters i want to see. i'm bored with the same old hash.

people often think they need to write new stories and they're struggling to find new stories which often can easily be proven to NOT be new. everything has been done. we've seen that in this movie and again in that movie.

but what about the protagonist? i think you can write that same old tired story and make it fresh just by making the protagonist a virgin hero/heroine. a character that we haven't seen be the hero before. this is where people who struggle with fresh ideas should go. not everyone is represented in the industry and therefore, not represented in the storytelling. it's up to us to find that unique... that virgin protagonist that makes and old story seem fresh.

what are some examples that worked? i'll start:

pretty woman - a prostitute hero saves a rich business man from a loveless life
legally blond - a clueless airhead outwits overeducated harvard students
carrie - a meek freak who discovers her dark side and seeks revenge
slumdog millionaire - a poor undereducated indian boy wins a million dollar trivia contest
NikeeGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 05:48 PM   #2
Knaight

Default Re: the Virgin Hero/Heroine

Interesting post. The more I do this stuff, the more I realize that your protagonist truly IS your story. So your protagonist had better be freakin' awesome.
Knaight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 05:56 PM   #3
NikeeGoddess
User

and you want a protagonist that an A-list actor is dying to play. they want a juicy role they can sink their teeth into. they all need to pay their bills but in their hearts they want to win an oscar.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:38 PM   #4
KatPau
User

Not an American movie, and no A-list actors, but Not One Less has a truly virgin heroine: a 13-year-old girl in rural China who gets a temp job substituting for the village teacher. When the kid who torments her most disappears--sent to Peking to work--she makes her way to the city to find him.
KatPau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 03:35 AM   #5
Steven Jenkins
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
nothing to do with sex btw.
D'oh!
Steven Jenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 04:26 AM   #6
JibJib

I was watching a programme last night about the atrocities the taliban are carrying out in pakistan...but the program was focused solely on the lives of the pakistanis from their perspective. It was so sad and such an interesting glimpse into their lives that we dont usually see from mainstream news/media...crying out for a film (with a virgin protag) to be made highlighting how terrorism is tearing their country apart...
JibJib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 06:18 AM   #7
NikeeGoddess
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatPau View Post
Not an American movie, and no A-list actors, but Not One Less has a truly virgin heroine: a 13-year-old girl in rural China who gets a temp job substituting for the village teacher. When the kid who torments her most disappears--sent to Peking to work--she makes her way to the city to find him.
i saw this movie. i remember thinking how stupid that girl was and that she was not mature enough to be in charge of children. but she was very determined and courageous throughout and definitely fits the category.

this reminds me of another: Winter's Bone - a 16 yr old hillbillie risks her life to save the home of her family
Old 11-23-2010, 06:23 AM   #8
NikeeGoddess
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JibJib View Post
I was watching a programme last night about the atrocities the taliban are carrying out in pakistan...but the program was focused solely on the lives of the pakistanis from their perspective. It was so sad and such an interesting glimpse into their lives that we dont usually see from mainstream news/media...crying out for a film (with a virgin protag) to be made highlighting how terrorism is tearing their country apart...
there's a movie called Osama that you should check out. it's not about bin laden. it's about a 12 yr old taliban girl who had to cut her hair and dress like a boy so she could work and earn money to feed her family. taliban women are not allowed to work and with so many widows they cannot even take care of their families unless they have sons to do it. unfortunately, the girl was taken to taliban school for boys and her girlness came out and she was eventually caught and charged with impersonating a sex, not her own.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:54 AM   #9
JibJib

Quote:
there's a movie called Osama that you should check out. it's not about bin laden. it's about a 12 yr old taliban girl who had to cut her hair and dress like a boy so she could work and earn money to feed her family. taliban women are not allowed to work and with so many widows they cannot even take care of their families unless they have sons to do it. unfortunately, the girl was taken to taliban school for boys and her girlness came out and she was eventually caught and charged with impersonating a sex, not her own.
Will check it out, actually i think it sounds vaguely familiar...
JibJib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 03:11 AM   #10
Midnite

Quote:
....Winter's Bone - a 16 yr old hillbillie risks her life to save the home of her family
Yes!....And I'm trying hard not to be snarky and mention that she may have still been an actual virgin at the old age of 16...

Midnite
Midnite is offline   Reply With Quote