Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Business Questions and Advice
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-16-2020, 03:12 PM   #71
Satriales
Regular

Default Re: Effect of the Coronavirus

Happy to be able to see Invisible Man and The Hunt. Holding out for Top Gun now.
Satriales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 05:50 PM   #72
Friday

So how has this affected you guys? Are you just staying at home, avoiding friends and family?

It feels like some kind of dsytopian movie. I overheard a woman say "It just keeps getting worse and worse."

In my area, theaters, restaurants are all closed down.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 06:05 PM   #73
Captain Nemo
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerFang View Post
Ha! Ex-Navy with an Air Force Commendation Medal on my chest. Served at a Pacific Broadcasting Squadron Detachment (Okinawa) during and after the Gulf War. Earned a Private Pilot license there. The Air Force Morale, Welfare, & Recreation Department provided the aero club and aircraft (nice—your tax dollars at play). Some of my instructors were active duty military pilots—F-16s, C-5 Galaxies, KC-135s, etc. (no chopper pilots, though). Picked up a lot of “Air Force speak” along the way, I suppose. Learned a lot extra about flying, too. Get razzed by veterans who see my Navy rank and me wearing an Air Force Comm. medal. Most of them think I’m one of those “stolen valor” @$$holes who bought the wrong medal at an Army/Navy Surplus store. I always have to explain. Is that considered “man-splaining”? Hope not. Just the facts.
There you go. Thank you for your service. Never served, but think I first heard the phrase from a friend who was an 'Nam era A4 mechanic -- sadly no longer with us. Sounds like you made good use of your hitch. BTW, not of the female persuasion, but i believe 'mainsplaining' would be, e.g. being on the backstretch explaining the function of mud caulks to an experienced female trainer.
Captain Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 06:11 PM   #74
DDoc
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
So how has this affected you guys? Are you just staying at home, avoiding friends and family?

It feels like some kind of dsytopian movie. I overheard a woman say "It just keeps getting worse and worse."

In my area, theaters, restaurants are all closed down.
I live in a small town in CA so things are fairly normal here so far, though we're also sold out of dook paper at the stores last I checked.

I work in a large city nearby and I've heard it's getting wild. We'll probably be told to stay home before the week is over.

Heard SF is on 24 hour lockdown now. Ruh roh. I just hope there are no food shortages. Other than that I feel fine and most of the people I interact with seem ok as well.
DDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 06:15 PM   #75
Southern_land

The weird thing (to me at least) is who's getting. SARS, MERS, EBOLA, H1N1 never heard a single name I recognized if indeed I heard a single name out of the media coverage at all.

COVID 19 we have Tom Hanks and his wife, President of Brazil I think I heard, several sports stars, the wives of the presidents or Prime ministers of France, Spain and Canada and now I've just seen Idris Elba has tested positive. That seems a higher that normal ratio for 170k people affected globally?

Southern_land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 06:24 PM   #76
jmpowell7
User

Things are calm here in rural North Carolina. Last night I took on the shopping duties, as the wife has asthma, and although the store was crowded we all got along. I have not heard about any locals rushing out to purchase a firearm, most likely because most already have more than they can use.
I did hear a stupid rumor about Budweiser being helpful in warding off the problem. You would have to be pretty dumb to believe that.
But in these times, do we really want to take a chance?
jmpowell7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 06:47 PM   #77
Captain Nemo
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
Will this slow down during the summer? It's pretty devastating. People can't even go out, socialize, or do normal things. I don't know how the economy will hold up. And I am sure some people can't hold out forever financially, especially for those in the service industry that have to deal with people.
Didn't see this post before, but the question of whether the Covid-19 virus will abate during the summer, as seasonal flu does, is still undetermined, according to the medical people I know. I realize this idea is now being pitched to the public by the powers-that-be in an understandable effort to keep them calm, and it that may come to pass, but there is no guarantee. Although heat has been a factor in restraining the growth of other viruses, Covid-19 seems to be spreading throughout Africa and other areas where the temperatures are well above the 56 degrees that has killed similar viruses in the past. Time will tell.
Captain Nemo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2020, 09:57 PM   #78
TigerFang

Like this octopus, I’m withdrawing from society and going into seclusion. Going off to to find my “voice.” Using the time to write and enter contests (first time out). Deadlines dead ahead. Tick tock. Best wishes to everyone. -30-

Last edited by TigerFang : 03-17-2020 at 09:13 PM.
TigerFang is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 01:56 PM   #79
Darthclaw13
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmpowell7 View Post
Things are calm here in rural North Carolina. Last night I took on the shopping duties, as the wife has asthma, and although the store was crowded we all got along. I have not heard about any locals rushing out to purchase a firearm, most likely because most already have more than they can use.
I did hear a stupid rumor about Budweiser being helpful in warding off the problem. You would have to be pretty dumb to believe that.
But in these times, do we really want to take a chance?

Mostly calm here too in Colorado. I have asthma as well so I have been taking advantage of the "order online and pick up outside" service at the grocery store. Less interaction with people that way. But when I get there I only get about half of what I ordered because they run out of things daily. (luckily they refund what you don't get)

Last time I was told by the store employee that some lady got attacked in another store by the customers because she shoved an older lady out of her way and the other customers who saw this ganged up on her and beat the snoodles out of her and she ended up in hospital.

I also read in another state that someone got stabbed at a walmart over a bottle of water.

The "hairless apes" (humans) are showing their true natures unfortunately. I have read in the past that humans are just a few meals away from complete and total anarchy.

Hopefully we can all just hold onto our sanity until this passes. It will pass...China has already started opening up their theaters and restaurants and they got it the worst so there is hope.
Darthclaw13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2020, 03:28 PM   #80
Friday

The news showed a man who had the Covid 19, but refused to self quarantine. Finally, the governor had to order some armed deputies to make sure he doesn't get out of the house. And some Nashville restaurants refused to close. Some people still wanted to party or enjoy themselves at the risk of everyone else.

South Korea was way more aggressive in their mitigation efforts, so they didn't quite have the spike in numbers as the European countries like Italy. I hope the US takes this thing very seriously. They really could have done more a lot earlier, like in January or even December.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote