Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > About the Craft > Screenwriting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-2008, 12:39 AM   #1
Angeloworx

Default There's nothing new under the sun

What happens to your script when you've been working on it for the last, I don't know, however long it has been, then you see a movie that has many elements similar to yours?

Do you change yours to be original? Find more nuances, making yours a new "spin"? Start incorporating what has been produced and made while adding more plots and twists? Or simply do nothing and write the script you wanted to write?
Angeloworx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 12:53 AM   #2
OzFade

Default Re: There's nothing new under the sun

I guess I'd fall into the latter category...write the story I want to tell.
Old 03-12-2008, 12:56 AM   #3
Naudikom

I guess it would depend on the "elements" that the two share, and how similar they are.

If the film you just saw felt like it was ripped right off the page, then you might want to change the scene around a little.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:32 AM   #4
Charli

That so happened to me once. When the movie, Frequency came out, the plot about frequency messages sent to the past/future was exactly what I was working on. I yelled, "They stole my movie" which of course isn't true since all I had was a first draft. My son thought it was funny.

What did I do about it? Ripped my story apart and now it's going to be a foreign film. You do what you can.
Charli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 02:43 PM   #5
JonnyAtlas

Yeah, the truth of the matter is there really is nothing new under the sun. I found myself in a similar situation recently, and I watched the film to see how similar it was to my screenplay. Turns out the only similarity was how the antagonist chose his victims, so I tweaked my script slightly and now no one would mistake it as being similar to the other film.

Do what you can with what you can. Watch the material in question, and decide if your script can be salvaged. If it's to similar, you can still finish it and perhaps use it as a writing sample. Then again, maybe not. What do I know?

- Sic Semper Tyrannis.
JonnyAtlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 03:02 PM   #6
suzeaa

I research long and hard to make sure my idea is very fresh before I start.

I'd lose interest if it were like something already done.
suzeaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 12:45 AM   #7
Fortean

Default Nothing New?

Quote:
Originally Posted by suzeaa View Post
I research long and hard to make sure my idea is very fresh before I start.

I'd lose interest if it were like something already done.
Bravo!

I've tired of seeing old characters reprising familiar roles in old dramas.

Why do so many Hollywood posters and covers show someone solving problems with a weapon? Guns everywhere, (if it isn't some maniac with an axe or knife)! Zombies, vampires, and bloodthirsty aliens!

Having researched many Fortean subjects, I know that the topics for my screenplays haven't been seriously dealt with by Hollywood hacks. Thus, I'll write about a plague of spontaneous human combustions, ("Blazes"), an extraordinary case of spirit possession, ("The Watseka Wonder"), and, the magical tale and investigation of the case of "The Talking Mongoose." I prefer to have protagonists who uses their wits to solve a real mystery, (rather than a gun battle with a villain or monstrosity).

Be original.
Fortean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 01:17 AM   #8
edamame
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charli View Post
That so happened to me once. When the movie, Frequency came out, the plot about frequency messages sent to the past/future was exactly what I was working on. I yelled, "They stole my movie" which of course isn't true since all I had was a first draft. My son thought it was funny.

What did I do about it? Ripped my story apart and now it's going to be a foreign film. You do what you can.

When Frequency came out, two similar movies came out in Korea. All coincidental and all in a span of three months. One of the Korean films that came out at that time was later remade in the US as The Lake House.
edamame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 05:52 AM   #9
JonnyAtlas

It should be noted that no matter how much you research and investigate to make sure your ideas are fresh, ther is always the chance that someone else is writing a similar script at the same time. This is most often the case with situations like this. There's a legal term for the phenomena, but it escapes me. When it happens in other facets of life, we call it synchronicity.

Also, it just so happens that I'm writing a script about a plague of spontanious human combustion and another about an investigation into the case of a talking wombat. What are the chances?
(j/k, of course)

- Sic Semper Tyrannis.
JonnyAtlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2008, 11:11 AM   #10
ylekot43

"Sky High" was way too close to a script I had written. Both scripts even had a character that was a two-ton rock; a flying school bus; and a homecoming showdown.

Happily, my script didn't have the "there is something I have to tell you, you go first..." scene. Blechth.