Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2009, 04:01 PM   #11
joe9alt

Default Re: J.J. Abrams

I was referring more to nathan than to you, Telly, but since you brought yourself up in context of me I'll say that a lot of times, you have a severely negative attitude.

ALL new writers should do things like cold-calling a production company and pitching their script. Why not? Are you saying they'll NEVER get read? If you are, you'd be wrong.

At worst the kid shows himself he has THE BALLS to do something like that...cold-call JJ Abrams company...and he'll need that kinda brass as he climbs higher and higher on the ladder. Trust me.

If I ruffled your feathers, it's probably because they needed it.

And 12916, I haven't really given a second thought to any of your posts ever since you had the audacity to complain and piss and moan in one on one about losing your winter break job at Costco or wherever and asking for handouts from people while others are out there truly suffering and experiencing real hardship. Thankfully you have mommy and daddy to fall back on and line your parachute, huh?

You sure nobody attempts to come to your rescue when you're in crisis and need a helping hand, Telly? You sure about that?
Old 12-31-2009, 04:07 PM   #12
Telly

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe9alt View Post
Telly, but since you brought yourself up in context of me I'll say that a lot of times, you have a severely negative attitude.
Um, pot, meet kettle.

Joe, dude, you know I love you man, but come on down off the ladder for a moment. I get it, I went a little far in my response, I'm sorry. But if anyone around here has a history of being "severely negative" I'd like to nominate us both for that award.

With that said, this was a stupid question, we'll just have to agree to disagree. Just because someone asks for Spielberg's contact number in a public forum does not entitle him to the most ambitious newb of the year award.

Anyway, let's let this one go. OP, I sincerely apologize if I offended you.

Good luck man.
Telly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 05:15 PM   #13
joe9alt

Vent? You were trying to throw a pity party for yourself in an attempt to make people feel sorry for you and GIVE YOU A READER JOB.

It was beyond lame and insensitive.

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ad.php?t=52196
Old 12-31-2009, 06:11 PM   #14
jamypac
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Telly View Post
Just because someone asks for Spielberg's contact number in a public forum does not entitle him to the most ambitious newb of the year award.
I assume this is the wrong time to ask for Coppola's home phone # then?
jamypac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 06:12 PM   #15
artisone
Regular

Okay, what killed me is the fact that he didn't just ask for J.J. Abrams info. That's fine. Query who you want. But he had to go and specify that he wanted the J.J. Abrams that directed Star Trek. I guess so we didn't confuse the request and give him J.J. Abrams the accountant. You are begging to get made fun of.
artisone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 02:00 AM   #16
joe9alt

Quote:
Originally Posted by artisone View Post
Okay, what killed me is the fact that he didn't just ask for J.J. Abrams info. That's fine. Query who you want. But he had to go and specify that he wanted the J.J. Abrams that directed Star Trek. I guess so we didn't confuse the request and give him J.J. Abrams the accountant. You are begging to get made fun of.
I started in on this thing in 2005 and I wouldn't have known who JJ Abrams was back then if he fell off a truck and I stepped on his glasses. Maybe this dude is NEW at this thing and maybe he saw STAR TREK and was inspired??? Who the **** knows?

Who are any of you to judge?

If you think he's wrong to ask for Abrams' contact info then EXPLAIN to the dude where you're coming from...tell him why he's wrong...help him learn...don't just be an *******.
Old 01-01-2010, 02:20 AM   #17
THEUGLYDUCKLING

does anyone know SSBSCRIPTs contact info
Old 01-01-2010, 08:59 AM   #18
mrjonesprods

As the story goes...

In 1989/1990 a young director at NYU was trying to finish his film in order to graduate school. Out of money, the young director sent letters to 20 producers asking for help. He only heard back from one - Steven Spielberg. Spielberg gave the director 5k to complete his project. That young director was named Brett Ratner.

I believe a writer's time is better served trying to get a manager or agent who is passionate about their material. And while I agree trying to get in touch with JJ Abrams will probably bear no fruit, it never hurts to try.
mrjonesprods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 09:19 AM   #19
Richmond Weems

Thus endeth the thread.

HH
Richmond Weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 10:17 AM   #20
joe9alt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12916studios View Post
Plus, nothing against the OP, but if you're asking for a writer/director/producer's contact info, you should have done the research beforehand and read up on his credits. If you have any knowledge of the guy, it's that he is f*cking big -- like untouchable big, for ALL of us here.
Don't lump me in with your sorry ass, 12916.

I had a call with both Sheryl Clark and Lindsay Paulson just a few weeks ago. I've been to the Bad Robot offices multiple times. The first time I had a meeting there (this was a few years ago) I didn't realize I was supposed to meet the exec at the coffee shop on the Paramount lot. My manager had only told me to go to the office so that's what I did. There was nobody there so I wandered into the back area of the BR offices and I came upon a long row of computers. People were sitting in front of them working silently...diligently. All of them seemed to look up at me at once...and on all of their computer monitors was the USS Enterprise...they were working on the special effects for Star Trek. It was a very surreal (and cool) moment.

PM me your logline mctheory. I'll try to see if the concept is up Bad Robot's alley and maybe I'll slip your script to somebody there if I can.

The rest of you keep focusing on your douche-baggery and let me know how that works out for ya.

Happy New Year's!