Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2010, 10:49 AM   #81
JKB
Regular

Default Re: Cold Calling Production Companies--In Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBScript View Post
The people who are arguing that the read off a cold query is equal to the read given to a rep with a relationship with the company are flat out wrong.
Agree x 10.
JKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 11:45 AM   #82
meemee2000
Regular

Quote:
No one is saying that you won't get your script read here and there by querying production companies.
Actually someone did... They said querying production companies was a waste of time. My comment was addressing their specific comment.
meemee2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:12 PM   #83
Geoff Alexander

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee2000 View Post
Actually someone did... They said querying production companies was a waste of time. My comment was addressing their specific comment.
These are not the same things.
Geoff Alexander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 12:19 PM   #84
iwritetoo
Regular

Querying a company can lead to great things. For example, I took a chance and queried a principal of a company and he requested my script at 7pm the same day.

Now does this mean he will read the script himself, I don't know. But the concept/logline definitely piqued his interest.
iwritetoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 04:29 PM   #85
catcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by iwritetoo View Post
Querying a company can lead to great things. For example, I took a chance and queried a principal of a company and he requested my script at 7pm the same day.

Now does this mean he will read the script himself, I don't know. But the concept/logline definitely piqued his interest.
After ten pages of this topic, isn't it time we just concluded that it can't hurt?

With a very special project, I banged my head against a wall of managers, agents, lawyers for a year and a half until I got it to a Director/Producer. No luck from it yet, but since it took me that long to make the contact, I'm not going to rush the guy. (Nearly 3 months since I last heard he was "still looking at it, needed more time")

Meanwhile, I've gone on and written 4 more specs.
catcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 05:04 PM   #86
sppeterson

Quote:
The people who are arguing that the read off a cold query is equal to the read given to a rep with a relationship with the company are flat out wrong.
Was there more than one person suggesting this?

Whereas at least a couple people suggested to not bother querying producers.

And -- and right now I want to make clear that I don't think there's anything even remotely wrong about this -- 6-17 management wasn't considering queries from writers outside the L.A. area, or at least recently that was the case.

Again, there's nothing wrong with that. Assignments are the main source of work and you guys need to focus your energies where they'll be most effective.

And I imagine you're not the only managers who feel this way. So, if a writer is outside L.A., surely you'd have to admit that they'd have more chance of getting something going by querying a producer than one of these managers focused on L.A. area writers.
Old 07-22-2010, 05:56 PM   #87
hscope

I'm not sure why anyone would have a problem with this approach.

It's a clearly a waste of time to cold query producers unless it works.

You can say the same about agents and managers.

There are no rules about who you can and can't approach, so explore all your options.
hscope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:29 PM   #88
Terrance Mulloy

Quote:
Originally Posted by meemee2000 View Post
No matter how many ways you spin it, I personally think it is a waste of time. And as SB previously stated - query hard enough, sure, you may get a read, but it's a read that will most likely result in nothing.

Look, there's no law or unwritten rule against doing it, because everyone has their own methods for success. I'm basing this opinion on my own experiences in querying producers - it was a flat out waste of time. But like I said earlier, if this avenue works for you - and gets you in the A-game - then go for it.

And to steer this back to sjn1973's original question - DO NOT turn up on their doorstep without an appointment. That is pretty much a guaranteed fail.
Old 07-22-2010, 08:34 PM   #89
Telly

Regarding: Showing up on prodco doorstep unannounced -

I only read the first page so sorry if I'm just repeating what others have said. I think I'm finding myself surprised by my own response here. I'm not sure if it's the current market conditions (which have been crap for a couple years now) or maybe the fact I've been sick for a couple months now and have a different perspective on things. But, I don't have nearly as much problem with this idea than I would have even one year ago.

In fact, giving it a shot once won't hurt anyone or anything. All the paranoia I keep hearing about the sky falling, being blacklisted and ruining it for other writers is hog-wash. Try it once and see what happens. If you get thrown out on your arse or security is called at least you tried something 99.9% of us don't have the cajones to try. Personally, I would never do this, but I'm not you and I've seen crazier approaches than this work. Some dude in a chicken suit handing out scripts in front of CAA got the him a meeting. Another guy in a UPS uniform hand delivering his own script to producers, got him a meeting.

These are true stories and there's several more like it. I'm sure 99% of the time it fails, but again, in this market and economy where even the most seasoned, experienced working writers are starving, I say, do whatever it takes to get that script into anyone's hand that can jump-start your career, by any means necessary. Again, I'm too chicken to do that kind of stuff and would advise normal routes, but look around. How is that working out for us so far? Not as good as you might think.

Do what you need to do, but don't forget to update us when you do it.
Telly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:55 PM   #90
Jules

I have this idea about waiting outside a prodoco for one of the workers to back their car out, then I move by on roller skates and get struck by said person's car, scrapping my knee badly and while they quickly shove me in the backseat and drive me to the nearest medical centre as fast as they can I lye back pitching various concepts and projects. It's a master plan.

Where are your offices based at, Geoff?