Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Loading

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2012, 05:30 AM   #51
Richmond Weems
Member
 
Richmond Weems's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,581
Default Re: So this is what happened to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMPurves View Post
Who cares?
Exactly.

HH
Richmond Weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:49 AM   #52
NikeeGoddess
User
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 7,189
Default Re: So this is what happened to me...

i would want a script of mine to not only float around, but go viral with fanatics just waiting for that movie to come out. i mean, it works for some best-selling novels.
NikeeGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:08 AM   #53
Hamboogul
Member
 
Hamboogul's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Leavenworth Penitentiary
Posts: 2,302
Default Re: So this is what happened to me...

Last Friday, a well-known producer contacted me via Facebook and said "Loved your script. Am going to contact your agent today to set up a meeting."

Now this is a script that's only been leaked to a few people because my agency is packaging it. But this producer is a friend of a friend of a friend... And friends pass script to each other.

You get the idea. You can't control it.
Hamboogul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:06 AM   #54
LMPurves
Regular
 
LMPurves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 414
Default Re: So this is what happened to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldhecuba View Post
Exactly.

HH
Apparently you do or you would have put me on ignore.

You take this site way too seriously - at the very first inkling of weakness shown by a poster in any thread, you seem to always be amongst the small group of those who jump in with sarcastic remarks.

Remember - it's the Internet. Not real.
__________________
il faut d'abord durer
LMPurves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:26 AM   #55
LMPurves
Regular
 
LMPurves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 414
Default Re: So this is what happened to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamboogul View Post
Last Friday, a well-known producer contacted me via Facebook and said "Loved your script. Am going to contact your agent today to set up a meeting."

Now this is a script that's only been leaked to a few people because my agency is packaging it. But this producer is a friend of a friend of a friend... And friends pass script to each other.

You get the idea. You can't control it.
I do get the idea.

Like I said before, if I was looking for someone else to produce my work, then sure, I'd probably like to have my work out there in the hopes that falls into the right hands.

But I'm lucky enough to live in Canada where, if you're good enough and work hard enough, the funding agencies will give you the money to produce your films.

I produce myself and have a couple of producer partners so why send my work out blindly?

It's unnecessary and since I know how many people have my script at any given time, it causes me no stress.
__________________
il faut d'abord durer
LMPurves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:14 AM   #56
Mintclub
Regular
 
Mintclub's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 338
Default Re: So this is what happened to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMPurves View Post
I do get the idea.

Like I said before, if I was looking for someone else to produce my work, then sure, I'd probably like to have my work out there in the hopes that falls into the right hands.

But I'm lucky enough to live in Canada where, if you're good enough and work hard enough, the funding agencies will give you the money to produce your films.

I produce myself and have a couple of producer partners so why send my work out blindly?

It's unnecessary and since I know how many people have my script at any given time, it causes me no stress.
IMHO it boils down to where you're at professionally and the circumstances surrounding the individual's situation. Clearly, you've got solid avenues to gain finance, so don't necessarily need your script out there in circulation. Unless of course you're looking for future admirers/collaborators.

Just last week, I had an agent at one of the big 3 get in touch. He'd come across my script, liked it and wanted to talk. No idea how he got it, don't really care either. It was a nice way to start the day... Each to their own!
Mintclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:27 AM   #57
LMPurves
Regular
 
LMPurves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 414
Default Re: So this is what happened to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintclub View Post
IMHO it boils down to where you're at professionally and the circumstances surrounding the individual's situation. Clearly, you've got solid avenues to gain finance, so don't necessarily need your script out there in circulation. Unless of course you're looking for future admirers/collaborators.

Just last week, I had an agent at one of the big 3 get in touch. He'd come across my script, liked it and wanted to talk. No idea how he got it, don't really care either. It was a nice way to start the day... Each to their own!
Congratulations!

And good luck.

I sincerely hope the contact proves fruitful for you.
__________________
il faut d'abord durer
LMPurves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:23 PM   #58
Richmond Weems
Member
 
Richmond Weems's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 3,581
Default Re: So this is what happened to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMPurves View Post
Apparently you do or you would have put me on ignore.

You take this site way too seriously - at the very first inkling of weakness shown by a poster in any thread, you seem to always be amongst the small group of those who jump in with sarcastic remarks.
That's right. Like a shark in bloody water. I also make fun of people who take themselves way too seriously. And these people probably consider themselves "Artists".

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMPurves View Post
Remember - it's the Internet. Not real.
It's not real??? WHAT??? My god...I'm gonna...I need to sit down...wait, I'm already sitting down. Maybe my mom can bring me a glass of milk downstairs to the basement.

HH
Richmond Weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:29 PM   #59
LMPurves
Regular
 
LMPurves's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 414
Default Re: So this is what happened to me...

What's that?

I can't hear you.

I found the ignore button... *grin*
__________________
il faut d'abord durer
LMPurves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 02:00 PM   #60
Aspirant
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 678
Default Re: So this is what happened to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffLowell View Post
This should go without saying, but never send the final draft file of your script out. Send a pdf. Always. Even when you're being paid to write. If they want the Final Draft (or MMS) file, they should ask you for it, and they should have a pretty good fucking reason why they're asking for it. It usually means you're getting fired.
This has always been my thought, as well. Definitely a good rule.
Aspirant is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin Version 3.6.2
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Done Deal Pro

eXTReMe Tracker