Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2012, 05:30 AM   #51
Richmond Weems

Default Re: So this is what happened to me...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LMPurves View Post
Who cares?
Exactly.

HH
Richmond Weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:49 AM   #52
NikeeGoddess
User

i would want a script of mine to not only float around, but go viral with fanatics just waiting for that movie to come out. i mean, it works for some best-selling novels.
NikeeGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 08:08 AM   #53
Hamboogul

Last Friday, a well-known producer contacted me via Facebook and said "Loved your script. Am going to contact your agent today to set up a meeting."

Now this is a script that's only been leaked to a few people because my agency is packaging it. But this producer is a friend of a friend of a friend... And friends pass script to each other.

You get the idea. You can't control it.
Hamboogul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 10:06 AM   #54
LMPurves
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by haroldhecuba View Post
Exactly.

HH
Apparently you do or you would have put me on ignore.

You take this site way too seriously - at the very first inkling of weakness shown by a poster in any thread, you seem to always be amongst the small group of those who jump in with sarcastic remarks.

Remember - it's the Internet. Not real.
Old 03-15-2012, 10:26 AM   #55
LMPurves
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamboogul View Post
Last Friday, a well-known producer contacted me via Facebook and said "Loved your script. Am going to contact your agent today to set up a meeting."

Now this is a script that's only been leaked to a few people because my agency is packaging it. But this producer is a friend of a friend of a friend... And friends pass script to each other.

You get the idea. You can't control it.
I do get the idea.

Like I said before, if I was looking for someone else to produce my work, then sure, I'd probably like to have my work out there in the hopes that falls into the right hands.

But I'm lucky enough to live in Canada where, if you're good enough and work hard enough, the funding agencies will give you the money to produce your films.

I produce myself and have a couple of producer partners so why send my work out blindly?

It's unnecessary and since I know how many people have my script at any given time, it causes me no stress.
Old 03-15-2012, 11:14 AM   #56
Mintclub
Regular

Quote:
I do get the idea.

Like I said before, if I was looking for someone else to produce my work, then sure, I'd probably like to have my work out there in the hopes that falls into the right hands.

But I'm lucky enough to live in Canada where, if you're good enough and work hard enough, the funding agencies will give you the money to produce your films.

I produce myself and have a couple of producer partners so why send my work out blindly?

It's unnecessary and since I know how many people have my script at any given time, it causes me no stress.
IMHO it boils down to where you're at professionally and the circumstances surrounding the individual's situation. Clearly, you've got solid avenues to gain finance, so don't necessarily need your script out there in circulation. Unless of course you're looking for future admirers/collaborators.

Just last week, I had an agent at one of the big 3 get in touch. He'd come across my script, liked it and wanted to talk. No idea how he got it, don't really care either. It was a nice way to start the day... Each to their own!
Mintclub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 11:27 AM   #57
LMPurves
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mintclub View Post
IMHO it boils down to where you're at professionally and the circumstances surrounding the individual's situation. Clearly, you've got solid avenues to gain finance, so don't necessarily need your script out there in circulation. Unless of course you're looking for future admirers/collaborators.

Just last week, I had an agent at one of the big 3 get in touch. He'd come across my script, liked it and wanted to talk. No idea how he got it, don't really care either. It was a nice way to start the day... Each to their own!
Congratulations!

And good luck.

I sincerely hope the contact proves fruitful for you.
Old 03-15-2012, 01:23 PM   #58
Richmond Weems

Quote:
Apparently you do or you would have put me on ignore.

You take this site way too seriously - at the very first inkling of weakness shown by a poster in any thread, you seem to always be amongst the small group of those who jump in with sarcastic remarks.
That's right. Like a shark in bloody water. I also make fun of people who take themselves way too seriously. And these people probably consider themselves "Artists".

Quote:
Remember - it's the Internet. Not real.
It's not real??? WHAT??? My god...I'm gonna...I need to sit down...wait, I'm already sitting down. Maybe my mom can bring me a glass of milk downstairs to the basement.

HH
Richmond Weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 01:29 PM   #59
LMPurves
Regular

What's that?

I can't hear you.

I found the ignore button... *grin*
Old 03-15-2012, 02:00 PM   #60
Aspirant

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffLowell View Post
This should go without saying, but never send the final draft file of your script out. Send a pdf. Always. Even when you're being paid to write. If they want the Final Draft (or MMS) file, they should ask you for it, and they should have a pretty good fucking reason why they're asking for it. It usually means you're getting fired.
This has always been my thought, as well. Definitely a good rule.
Aspirant is offline   Reply With Quote