Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Producers, Production Companies, Studios & Networks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2013, 02:05 PM   #61
WaitForIt
Regular

Default Re: New prodco to focus on female directors and "strong roles for women"

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc111 View Post

In my opinion, this has far more to do with the lack of women in many industries where there's potential to rise to higher incomes (the glass ceiling) than your theory we drop out of the workforce because we prefer to have babies before our bio-clock runs out.

Maybe, just maybe -- when girls grow up seeing their mothers hit up against the glass ceiling, or grow up seeing predominately male faces star in movies, or see predominately male faces in the government, maybe - on some level - perhaps not even consciously, they lower their expectations before graduating high school. You think this may have something to do with it? Of course it does.
I hypothesize that it's a unique factor that cannot be discounted *for those women who want families* which, given that our total fertility rate is hunky dory as a country despite several factors, is possibly far more women than some are even considering is a possibility. No more, no less.

And we seem to be in agreement that it's a possibility that many girls might not even think to try due to things they have observed and absorbed over time.

Given that the article is about high-powered women who want to "have it all," whatever "it all" is, and that producers and directors are high-powered women... I don't see how it's tangential, but hey. The bottom line for me at the end of all of it was that *if* fewer women are even attempting, as was my baseline assumption, right or wrong, it might be a good idea to start earlier and encourage young girls to see opportunities in their futures rather than obstacles, in this and other fields. But this is perhaps even more important than other things such as math and science, cinema, due to the far-reaching effects of media in our culture.
WaitForIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 02:50 PM   #62
sc111

Default Re: New prodco to focus on female directors and "strong roles for women"

WaitForIt:

I did read the article you linked. It was written from the perspective of a woman who worked in government for two years and only went home to see her son on weekends. She left government to spend more time with her family (although, she's still a tenured university professor and far from a stay-at-home Mom).

With that, you referenced a podcast where it was floated there were fewer women directors (and writers for that matter) working in the film industry because fewer women are interested in such a career. And your "baseline assumption" was that both of your references explained why there are fewer female directors hired in Hollywood.

I still don't agree with you.

I see from your join date you're relatively new on Done Deal but I assure you we've had this debate here before. Over and over. Some even floated the theory that -- due to hormones or chromosomes -- men are simply more innately talented at writing and directing than women. However, the WGA's many reports on the dearth of females, plus industry pros who post here have confirmed there are fewer opportunities for female directors and writers to get a gig in Hollywood.

If doors keep slamming in your face, you tend to wander into other fields. And with that the number of women trying to get work as directors or writers, dwindles eventually, no? Please don't use this number as proof women simply don't want to write or direct films. It's the koolaid of institutionalized discrimination. And it's far worse when another woman drinks that koolaid.

Of course, we should (and I do) encourage our sisters and daughters to strive to achieve their dreams but if they find "the man" won't open the door when they knock all the cheerleading in the world will be for nought.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:19 PM   #63
decarbe
User

I think the evolution of this thread and topic is interesting. Had this been annoucement about more avenues opening for men, would there even be a debate about what men can or can't do, or what interest them? My only point in saying this is that this always seem to happen in topics about women or when race is involved. I don't care what board I'm on it just never fails.

To say that women aren't interested in the film industry just doesn't ring true to me. In my screenwriting class (last semester) there were only 4 men out of 21 students. My last class on directing (all at NYU) it was split even 5 women and 5 men. All my writing classes always had more women than men. Of course this is all based on my experience. From what I can see women are interested and doing nothing less than the men in my classes to obtain a career in the film industry.
decarbe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:23 PM   #64
JeffLowell

Last edited by JeffLowell : 01-25-2013 at 03:24 PM. Reason: bad link
JeffLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:24 PM   #65
JeffLowell

Quote:
Q: How many women have won Academy Nicholl Fellowships?

A: Thirty-six of the 138 fellowship winners have been women.

Q: How does that compare with the percentage of female entrants?

A: Since the beginning of the competition, about 29.8 percent of the entries have been submitted by women.
http://www.oscars.org/awards/nicholl/faqs.html
JeffLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:44 PM   #66
kintnerboy

Percentage of narrative films at Sundance directed by women: 17%

Percentage of narrative films submitted by women: 13%

If anything, there is a reverse bias, to try and encourage more women to get into film.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...0,712589.story

I think John August audited the submissions to the Scriptnotes 3 page challenge for gender and found about the same percentages.

There is no bias! Good luck ladies!
kintnerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:50 PM   #67
carcar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kintnerboy View Post
Percentage of narrative films at Sundance directed by women: 17%

Percentage of narrative films submitted by women: 13%

If anything, there is a reverse bias, to try and encourage more women to get into film.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment...0,712589.story

There is no bias! Good luck ladies!
How does this one article back up that statement? Because one film festival this year, for once, chose some female directors?
carcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:51 PM   #68
kintnerboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by carcar View Post
How does this article back up that statement? Because one film festival this year, for once, chose some female directors?

Well, you actually have to read the article before sniping.

The percentages I listed are not from this year. They are an aggregate from the last 10 years.

(also, I'm not sure you're comprehending what the numbers mean. Anyone can submit a film to Sundance. There are no barriers. Women simply are not submitting).

Last edited by kintnerboy : 01-25-2013 at 04:08 PM.
kintnerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:53 PM   #69
Richmond Weems

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc111 View Post
Because men prefer to work with other men.

Why? I guess we can ask the guys but, in my experience as a woman in business, they seem to feel they have to be on guard when women are around. They seem distracted. Women in a room where multimillion dollar business is being conducted seem to mess up the men's Tao, for lack of better word. Maybe it's because they have to stop themselves from wondering if we're wearing underwear or something. Or, maybe they're concerned we're wondering what's in their underwear (and sometimes we might be). Whatever it is, it's definitely a factor. And it distracts them from the very important work being discussed.
Bvllsh!t.

I don't know what businesses you've been in, but, in my experience in the corporate environment, the only thing that matters is making money.

That's not to say that aren't a few goofball men and women who act as you say they act, but they also don't last long. I've seen plenty of executive women who were smart, capable, and were able to work alongside men without the men wondering what was in their underwear.

What I have seen, are low-level employees, in their 20s and early 30s, who liked to grab-a$$ and act like, well, guys and gals in their 20s and early 30s. But they learn, and grow up.
Richmond Weems is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 04:13 PM   #70
carcar

I did read it. I think you're the one not comprehending it.

If artists don't get funding and support, they don't grow. Sundance appears to be making a commitment to that.

Again, I think the climate is changing for the better. But there is bias. There is absolutely bias, insidious and destructive bias. I worked in a film school for eight years and saw it continually and this was truly bad, because it was at the most basic educational level. If it exists in the fundementals, it will continue to exist further up the scale. (I want to be clear. THIS IS NOT A CONDEMNATION OF ALL MEN IN THE FILM INDUSTRY. There are great, supportive wonderful awesome men out there, and there always have been, and those numbers are growing. But there are those out there in power who, consciously or unconsciously, exhibit bias. Still too many.)

But women also have to make the choice to stand up and make their voices heard, even though they will sometimes be shouted down and run over and judged by measures that have little to do with their capabilities, JUST because they are women. Yes, I stand by that.

But if they're not putting their work out there themselves (and the work is there, believe me), challenging the old school way of thinking, even if it costs them in the process, that's where they need to grow some. Challenge their own thinking.

Last edited by carcar : 01-25-2013 at 04:30 PM.
carcar is offline   Reply With Quote