Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Business Questions and Advice
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-11-2015, 03:18 PM   #1
CrissCross
Regular

Default Specs

I see this info all the time and haven't been able to figure out what all this stuff means. Can anyone simplify it ? Thanks

Josh Goldenberg and Sean Perrone of Kaplan/Perrone Entertainment are out with a killer spec today that’s heating up the market as it lands on top of every weekend read in town. Story details of the much buzzed-about thriller BED REST written by Lori Evans Taylor are being tightly kept under wraps, but we’re hearing it’s being pitched as a smart character-driven contained thriller.

As of today, territories are coming off the shelf fast and furious, and my sources now confirm that James Wan‘s shingle Atomic Monster is into New Line, Adam Goodman is into Paramount Pictures and De Line Pictures is into both CBS Films and Warner Brothers, while Sunswept Entertainment is into Fox 2000, Lionsgate and MGM.

Spec is now into:
Adam Goodman into Paramount
Atomic Monster into New Line
De Line into CBS Films
De Line into Warner Bros.
Sunswept Entertainment into Fox 2000
Sunswept Entertainment into Lionsgate
Sunswept Entertainment into MGM
CrissCross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 03:40 PM   #2
McNamara
User

Default Re: Specs

This is my understanding: Producers often have deals to work with certain studios. The studios are the territories. When a spec goes out wide, the agent/manager sends it to lots of producers, then when they get positive responses ("we want to take it in to the studio we have a deal with"), the agent/manager get to choose which producers they want to take it to each territory. So, in this scenario, Adam Goodman is taking it to paramount, etc. As for the ones that are taking it to multiple territories, I assume they don't have an exclusive deal, but the agent liked them for the project.
Once it's gone out to the territories the offers come in. In my experience this can all happen extremely fast, within a week, although I have heard it can sometimes take longer. I hope that helps!
-Mc
McNamara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 03:43 PM   #3
bjamin

means the script is generating so much heat that it's on fire, pre-selling to foreign markets (territories) before it's even been made -- which helps the overall budget.

is my guess.
bjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 03:44 PM   #4
ducky1288

A lot of companies have first look deals with studios or variations of different deals (which is why some of them are located on the lot of that actual studio).

But you don't want to send a script to 4 companies who all have deals with the same studio because they will all be fighting to be the one to take it, so you try to pick one producer/company who is a good fit and hope they want to take their studio/buyer as a territory.

A lot of companies don't have deals and that's why you see them taking multiple territories.

They go to the studio and say, "Hey we really like this and want to make it, buy it for us."

But just because they have a good relationship with that producer doesn't mean they buy everything they take them.

Writer on a cable drama.

Last edited by ducky1288 : 09-13-2015 at 04:05 PM.
ducky1288 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2015, 09:20 AM   #5
bjamin

i've never heard studios referred to as territories, so i guess i've learned something new today. go me.
bjamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:54 AM   #6
ProfessorChomp
Regular

That's my wife's spec we're talking about. It's a great script, a really exciting sale, and it's done wonders for her career in the two months since it happened, including new agents. She's worked her ass off trying to get noticed for years - so glad it's happening!
ProfessorChomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 10:58 AM   #7
asteven50
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfessorChomp View Post
That's my wife's spec we're talking about. It's a great script, a really exciting sale, and it's done wonders for her career in the two months since it happened, including new agents. She's worked her ass off trying to get noticed for years - so glad it's happening!
That's awesome man! Tell her congrats for me. I'm managed at the same place and have a spec almost ready to go out, so it was super encouraging to see this sale happen.
Old 09-14-2015, 01:04 PM   #8
muckraker

That's great. Well deserved by her. It really is an awesome script.
muckraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2015, 07:32 PM   #9
finalact4

Quote:
Wow, congratulations to you both!

www.LisaMolusis.com
finalact4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 01:53 AM   #10
MrDealHD
User

Quote:
Time to give her a nice candle-lit bubble-bath and a foot massage. Although as a writer, massaging of the hands would be more fitting. 😝