Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > About the Craft > Screenwriting
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2019, 05:20 PM   #21
Centos

Default Re: Where do you like to write?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
Well, I prefer music. Only like quiet when I am reading. Even then, music is better. But, not rap or heavy metal where it overpowers your thoughts. There are some good songs, but they have too much talking in them, so I eliminate them from the list.
I sometimes start with music... but five or ten minutes in it has to go off. It's a distraction. I've always been that way with music. If I'm listening to music I'm listening to music — I've never liked it as a background to something else. (I know, weird.)
Old 10-05-2019, 05:55 PM   #22
Bono

I get 99% of my writing done on my home computer. Using my laptop I go on DD and email and think about writing. Real work I'm at home in my uncomfortable chair.

Coffee shop I'm just too interested in the rest of life and what I could be writing...

Real writing is work. I'm bad at it. For the amount of time I've put into this, I should have 1000 scripts. I wish I had focus of some of you.

However, I got old. I got married. I got kids. I got unrepped. It all added up to not wanting to try very hard anymore.

It's harder every year to strike those keys...

And I was trying to leave this forum and write -- nope back to only posting here and talking about writing, but NOT writing... I always hoped everyone else was doing the same... but some of you people are cheating by actually doing work. Not cool!
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 06:04 PM   #23
DDoc
Regular

Home PC for me as well. I always listen to a Boards of Canada or Aphex Twin playlist or Pandora station as well.
DDoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 06:38 PM   #24
Bono

I like to write in Gucci's house when he's sleeping... for those 10 seconds it's glorious!
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 07:13 PM   #25
Vango
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centos View Post
I sometimes start with music... but five or ten minutes in it has to go off. It's a distraction. I've always been that way with music. If I'm listening to music I'm listening to music — I've never liked it as a background to something else. (I know, weird.)
It is tough for me to write emotional scenes without music. However, I only listen to instrumental music/movie themes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug5IOh6PxWQ&t=18355s

If you're writing comedy or romance or something light hearted, this music might not be the best. But if you're writing more serious dramas, action thrillers, etc., this might help put you in the moments.
Vango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 08:15 PM   #26
TigerFang

Quote:
It may be the choice of music. Try anything by Mozart at a barely audible level. That link is a three-hour compilation dedicated to enhancing studying, and it works for writing, too. The mathematical meter soon has your subconscious quietly absorbing the music without you being wholly or consciously aware of it.

Mozart clears the cobwebs from my head for me. It might work for you, too.

Bluetooth over-the-ear headphones are just the ticket for helping you concentrate, too, whether you choose to write in a coffee shop or at home. In any setting, the headphones tend to filter out a lot of background noise, such as the hum of a refrigerator in a kitchen or—if you are unfortunate enough to have to write under the ugly spectrum of light known as fluourescent—that annoying ballast buzz.

Next up: the Acme Sensory Deprivation Tank for Screenwriters, a medical surplus Iron Lung converted to a California hot tub with a Camelbak for wine.

Last edited by TigerFang : 10-05-2019 at 08:30 PM.
TigerFang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 10:20 PM   #27
Friday

Quote:

It's like enjoying a favorite scene in a movie. The music enhances that scene. Scorsese practically lives off it. I think after a while you get used to it, even crave having that music.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 10:28 PM   #28
Friday

Do you guys have a drink or snack preference while writing? I used to go crazy over that ritual.
Friday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2019, 11:47 PM   #29
StoryWriter

I write everywhere. I carry a big notebook and a couple of small notebooks and at least two mechanical pencils with me at all times. I have to start on paper, longhand, then once I get going I can write on a computer. But if I don't start longhand, it takes forever to get going on the computer.

When I write I practice dialogue out loud -- both the men and women parts. For some reason people think I'm nuts.

I transcribe wherever I can find a computer. I've got Screenwriter MM2000 on a USB drive. I can plug it in to any Windows computer and I'm ready to go.

Sometimes when I'm tired and need to make a deadline I'll type into an AlphaSmart word processor, in the dark with my eyes closed, while lying on my bed. Surprisingly I wrote some of favorite stuff that way.
Old 10-05-2019, 11:52 PM   #30
StoryWriter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Friday View Post
Do you guys have a drink or snack preference while writing? I used to go crazy over that ritual.
When I write something that takes some time, I don't break for anything. I don't eat or drink, even move much. One time, when I was on a deadline I wrote almost non-stop for 44 hours. My wife would make me get up every now and then.

That's probably not a good idea.