Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Querying Managers with a TV Spec

Do those queries generally fall on deaf ears? Do managers only request/read TV pilots?

Re: Querying Managers with a TV Spec

my impression (without having sought representation myself) is that you ultimately need both for staffing purposes. so that even if you are querying with a pilot that gets responses, the follow-up question might be " now let me see a spec." toward my own goal to be a working writer in TV, i am trying to build a portfolio that shows both original voice and the ability to write for a show's voice

Comment

What good is a spec of an existing TV show to a manager? 99 times out of 100 s/he can't sell it unless you're a name writer and even then it'd be a miracle (networks pay staffs of writers lotsa money so they don't have to buy specs). From what I hear, to get staffed on a show you need a pilot spec and two specs of existing "hot" shows. Then you need a rep to show them around. The Catch 22 is that it's hard as hell to get a manger or agent for TV until you're staffed, but you can't get staffed till you have reps. But with just a single goot pilot spec, you can land a rep. I've written one TV pilot spec in my days. With a solid logline it was requested and passed on by 10 managers and/or agents. I'd say focus on original material if you're shooting for the TV game. Just my $0.02.

SMASH TO:

BLACK

Comment

Anything is possible, but it really has to blow them away. I know two people who got repped at one of the big 4 agencies based off a House spec a few years back.

IMO, your best bet is an original piece of work over a spec for an existing show.
        "Write every day. Don't quit. The rest is all bullshit." - Brian Koppelman

Comment

Seems like having specs and a pilot is the way to go. More or less what I assumed by it's nice to get some confirmation.

Comment

Working...
          X