No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Blacklist and 10's

Originally posted by UpandComing View Post
    So what do you propose? I think it's a good idea that pros can give ratings to scripts, because it might draw more attention to a highly-reviewed script that's still not getting any. For example, a script that has only one "8" score (perhaps because the writer couldn't afford more evaluations, or because the writer received 7s on subsequent free evals). Scores from pros can propel that script to the Top Lists, gaining more exposure.

Yes. I think everyone will agree it's great for a pro to give a script with a paid eval 8 score, a rating -- as long as that rating is not from that writers own rep. As these pro rating can help propel a script, the scores should be fairly given by any other pro other than the writers own rep. It's not the pro giving ratings that are shady or wrong, it's the writers own reps doing it that is wrong, IMO.

The only way to solve the conflict-of-interest problem would be to prevent writers' reps from rating their scripts. But to do that you'd have to force the writer to confirm who their rep is (when some writers don't even want to say that they're repped at all because they're afraid their scripts will get less attention).

You cannot make a rep have integrity and not rate their own client, but I was hoping at least to hear that the writers themselves thought it was wrong. My main question was, what do writers think about this? Not the reps themselves.

Honestly, I think that pros pay more attention to the individual scores and reviews for scripts than which ones are top-rated -- because they know those are coming from an impartial observer. Also, pros can only see if a writer has 10s if the writer makes all of their scores available on the graph. If a writer has one "10" and a bunch of other mediocre scores, the scam will be obvious. If a writer has one "10" and a number of other high scores, pros will pay more attention to the most common scores.

The writer can disable the graph that shows this so the "scam" can technically be hidden.

So frankly, while I do agree the practice is shady, I don't think it has a significant enough effect on the overall system to warrant major concern. I think there is far more of an upside (in the form of drawing attention to highly-reviewed scripts) than there is a downside (in the form of bringing undue attention to mediocre scripts).
    If the script is already highly rated why do writers need their rep to game the system. If you are in first, second or third place on the top list, you should be there fairly.

Comment

Originally posted by UpandComing View Post
      So what do you propose?
      I got nothing.

I've never used it. I don't know enough about the functionality of the paid Blacklist site to really comment. And I'll withdraw my previous post if other writers see this as no big deal.

Mostly, I was flummoxed by the fact that I've seen several 20 page threads here expressing outrage at some perceived lack of integrity by some aspect of the Blacklist. But in this case, when an issue is raised that - to me - is most definitely against the ideals of the site, there's been a lot of shrugs and "them's the breaks."

I find it odd, is all.

Comment

The impartiality is one of the best features of the site. Some have said that the readers are not as "high-quality" as Nicholl readers, or whatever, but their evals and any pro scores are impartial.

The only ones that aren't impartial are the ones that come from reps. Still, I don't think there's anything wrong with a rep scoring their client's work... as long as they assign it a genuinely-earned score. If they dig your script, then they should score it high.

But if and when they give a high score to a mediocre script, doesn't that clearly deflate the system's impartiality? and worse, reduce the credibility of the site, which hurts all the writers, repped or not?

Comment

Originally posted by liverbird View Post
          You cannot make a rep have integrity and not rate their own client, but I was hoping at least to hear that the writers themselves thought it was wrong. My main question was, what do writers think about this? Not the reps themselves.
          You were "hoping at least to hear that the writers themselves thought it was wrong?"

I've already stated a number of times that I think the practice is shady. But even if I didn't say that, so what? Your main goal at the outset was to find out what writers' opinions are on this -- cool. It shouldn't be an exercise to confirm that most of them agree with you. Everyone's entitled to their own opinion.
          "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Originally posted by Bunker View Post
            Mostly, I was flummoxed by the fact that I've seen several 20 page threads here expressing outrage at some perceived lack of integrity by some aspect of the Blacklist. But in this case, when an issue is raised that - to me - is most definitely against the ideals of the site, there's been a lot of shrugs and "them's the breaks."

I find it odd, is all.
            Understandable. I think my "shrug" comes the fact that I know BL pays attention to pros' scores for shenanigans. So, for example, if a pro gives an ultra-low score for a script they haven't even opened, they will delete that rating without being prompted by the writer.

I could be wrong, but I'm assuming if a script suddenly received three or four 10s they would question the legitimacy of the scores as well. As it stands, 10s make up a ridiculously small percentage of scores on the website -- indicating that reps who try to game the system number the very few.

So my point is, I think the problem is insignificant enough that there is no need to inconvenience writers by asking them to reveal who their reps are and then monitoring their ratings to ensure their reps do not rate them.
            "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Originally posted by Bunker View Post

I find it odd, is all.
              Me too. But then, again, I find the whole Blacklist concept shady. it all looks like a money-sucking machine to me.
              STANDARD DISCLAIMER: I'm a wannabe, take whatever I write with a huge grain of salt.

Comment

If you have an agent or manager, you already have access to the companies and people that you would gain access to by gaming the Blacklist.

If you have three sixes and one ten it's like selling toothpaste that one out of five dentists recommends.

Give baking soda a chance!

Comment

None of this really matters in the big picture.

You should be doing everything you can to: 1) get your screenplay made by producers who have the talent to get the finished products seen by an audience and/or 2) get paid for your writing.

If someone else is getting a 10 from their manager, how does this affect your goals of 1 or 2 in any way?

Comment

I would just like to add that I got my 3rd lowball score from an industry professional this week who did not download my script, and I do appreciate that the BL does not take these scores into account (they're almost always low).

It's very possible that these scores are the result of computer glitches or human error, but one would have to at least consider that any manager or agent who would give their own client a 10 to raise their standing would also give someone else a 3 to achieve the same result.

I know that the BL is never going to tell me who is reading my script (much less who is trying to tank it), however I would encourage them to pay very close attention to who is doing it and to whom and how often, and then react accordingly.

Comment

kintner, that sounds awful. Sorry that happens to you. I got a pretty low score, but that's because the paid reader thought it deserved that much. Though I felt like the reader might have skimmed a little, I believe the reader at least skimmed enough to get a solid impression.

I don't really understand the "do no harm" principle if some random can drive-by ding you.

Comment

Originally posted by finalact4 View Post
                        Kintnerboy, I want you to know that I'm not trying to be argumentative, I, too, am simply trying to be a devil's advocate and honestly see it from a different POV.
                        No worries.

Congrats on getting your (non-biopic, for once) script to the top spot.

Comment

Originally posted by kintnerboy View Post

It's very possible that these scores are the result of computer glitches or human error, but one would have to at least consider that any manager or agent who would give their own client a 10 to raise their standing would also give someone else a 3 to achieve the same result.
                          I can tell you as a matter of fact that my manager would never give someone a bogus score to give me an advantage. My work stands on it's own. Most like it. A few don't. That's the name of the game. And thanks for the kind words, much appreciated.

That's a real dick move if anyone does that.
                          Last edited by finalact4; 05-25-2017, 07:07 PM.
                          "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Originally posted by Hamboogul View Post
                            None of this really matters in the big picture.

You should be doing everything you can to: 1) get your screenplay made by producers who have the talent to get the finished products seen by an audience and/or 2) get paid for your writing.

If someone else is getting a 10 from their manager, how does this affect your goals of 1 or 2 in any way?
                            +1

Bottom line-- the work must stand on it's own. Reality-- thousands of great scripts never get made into movies.
                            "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Working...
                            X