No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Experiences from those who relocated to LA

@yesac

LA has weather patches. It's not dry during Nov to say april, not saying it rains all the time, though there are a few days of rain per week, on average, during those months, just saying the air is more moist.

Summer doesn't get really hot until it hits late aug and sept, from my experience.

There are some very good restaurants here as well, chefs from NY as well as other parts of the world.

I've spent time in Melbourne so I get what you're sayin, yeah, Melbourne rocks(!), no joke.

The thing about LA and food is that you have to pay for great food as opposed to NY or Melbourne where you could go to a hole in the wall and get five stars of delishesness and not dig deep in the pockets.

Also, if you're into staying in shape, this is the town for you! Volley ball followed by a hike in a number of canyons then a bike ride or mountain downhill ride then...

Just enjoy it... people are great, and people are weird and people are strange and it all depends how you approach it. surround yourself with clean hands

Comment

Cheers Montevideo. All good stuff there.

I'm hoping that the A$ being so strong will work to my advantage and that LA food will at least seem cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by montevideo View Post

Just enjoy it... people are great, and people are weird and people are strange and it all depends how you approach it.

That's exactly what makes it such a great experience. The people and the places. Although I would never live in LA permanently, I always enjoy visiting.

Heck, I just love star spotting. That's almost an activity unto itself for us tourists.

Originally posted by yesac View Post

I'm hoping that the A$ being so strong will work to my advantage and that LA food will at least seem cheaper.
        That's the thing. I remember when my folks first took me to Disneyland when I was a kid - like in the early 90's. America was so expensive because of our crappy dollar. Now it's actually reversed and evened out. I think the Aussie dollar is hovering around $1.04 USD.
        @TerranceMulloy

Comment

Originally posted by yesac View Post

LA is dominated by he Mexican culture. Historically, it's their land.

With that said, there are some really great tacos, burritos in this place. Some great taco trucks like the the one on Olympic and La Brea...

there are some sweet eating spots that won't bend the wallet but you have to search for them, try yelp... i know of a few

Comment

With that said, there are some really great tacos, burritos in this place. Some great taco trucks like the the one on Olympic and La Brea...

there are some sweet eating spots that won't bend the wallet but you have to search for them, try yelp... i know of a few
            Pinks hotdogs!

Oh, my god I love that place. I'd never had a real hotdog until then.
            @TerranceMulloy

Comment

LA is dominated by he Mexican culture. Historically, it's their land.

I'll be actively avoiding Sprinkles (addiction, anyone?), but everything else is fair game for my stomach!

Even better if there's good beer to wash it down with.

Comment

Ennnnvyyyyyyy...

It'll be at least a year, more like two, until I get over there even to visit. But this is a useful thread, it builds up a more accurate impression. And fun too.
                Always choose cognac over cocaine -- Jon Lord

Comment

Originally posted by Susanlbridges View Post
                  I was from the Chicagoland area, and LA is SO different. People do NOT communicate with each other in the same way at all. So for the first six months or so, everyone thought I was rude and abrasive. Once I settled in and figured out the way people in LA communicate with each other, I landed an office job and things got a lot better.
                  Please elaborate on this. Examples? I can't wrap my head around this. I'm in the Midwest and I think people here are generally very nice (unless they're driving an SUV in a Target parking lot in December; then they become a-holes).
                  "You have idea 1, you're excited. It flops. You have idea 99, you're excited. It flops.
                  Only a fool is excited by the 100th idea. Fools keep trying. God rewards fools." --Martin Hellman, paraphrased

Comment

OK. Mind you, this is just my perspective.

The communication style in Southern California is... very soft and polished, you could say. Very nonconfrontational. I find that people get offended quickly if you're not extremely polite, and sharing anything less than complimentary will get you into real trouble. I was always taught to work hard and be honest, but when I transferred to So Cal I realized I was expected to be a lot more social. There are a lot of these tenuous, barely-there relationships that have to be maintained, which is not something I'm used to. Yes, that's true of many fields, but it's especially true of the entertainment industry. And since practically everyone in So Cal knows someone in the entertainment industry, it seems to have permeated the whole culture to a degree.

So, if an industry person doesn't want to talk to you or thinks you're not talented, they'll ignore you rather than politely turn you down or tell you the truth. That's why you've seen people on these boards say that you should follow up a few times and then move on. A non-response IS a rejection in most cases. Also, people will say they like you and your work when they haven't actually read any of it. They'll go by what others have told them. Or they'll say they've heard of you and your work when they actually haven't. Or they'll be really complimentary in person and you'll think that everything went great, and then they'll reject you quietly from a safe distance over e-mail. Also, people you don't know well will hug you. That surprised me at first too.

If I happen to come across someone who's REALLY honest, chances are they're not from So Cal. The last totally honest conversation I had with someone in the industry was with a former New Yorker. Even still, she was very complimentary for not knowing much about me -- she's been living here for many years. It rubs off on you.
                    writertypepeople.tumblr.com
                    twitter.com/susanlbridges
                    pendantaudio.com

Comment

Originally posted by Susanlbridges View Post
                      OK. Mind you, this is just my perspective.

The communication style in Southern California is... very soft and polished, you could say. Very nonconfrontational. I find that people get offended quickly if you're not extremely polite, and sharing anything less than complimentary will get you into real trouble. I was always taught to work hard and be honest, but when I transferred to So Cal I realized I was expected to be a lot more social. There are a lot of these tenuous, barely-there relationships that have to be maintained, which is not something I'm used to. Yes, that's true of many fields, but it's especially true of the entertainment industry.

So, if an industry person doesn't want to talk to you or thinks you're not talented, they'll ignore you rather than politely turn you down or tell you the truth.
                      What you said is true of the entertainment industry, even here in NY. There are practical reasons for it. You come across someone, and you don't like their work. You just don't see it happening. If you tell them their work is awful, the problem is you don't know what goes to happen in the future, and then you have egg on your face.

A more extreme example of this is when Simon on American Idol thought Jennifer Hudson was an awful singer. She went on to get an oscar for her role in Dream Girls, and has had other film roles as well. Simon had big egg on his face, and was actual hurt when Jennifer Hudson didn't mention Idol in her thanks or credit it for having any influence on her career.

So its safer simply not to respond at all, and no one will hold a lack of response against you. You could have been so busy you merely overlooked something.
                      Check out my videos at http://www.youtube.com/user/NyFilmmaker32/videos

Comment

Yeah, now that I'm here, I totally get why it's like that, but it's pretty surprising when you're first experiencing it. I was just listening to a podcast too about how simply asking an industry professional to read your work is really backing them into a corner and can make them think badly of you. So you have to say, "If you have a chance, I would really appreciate your notes and feedback," rather than "will you read my script?" If you want them to pass it on to someone, you could say, "Do you know of any agents or managers who might be a good fit for my material?" Then if they say, "I'm sorry, I really can't think of anyone" -- that's the rejection.

So yes. Careful, careful, careful. And you are SO RIGHT about not knowing who could help you later on. I never in a million years would have guessed that certain people would be so helpful to me later. You just don't know.
                        writertypepeople.tumblr.com
                        twitter.com/susanlbridges
                        pendantaudio.com

Comment

Working...
                        X