Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What to do with Linkedin contacts?

Since I threw my hat in the ring there, I've had producers I've never contacted before want me to link in with them. What do you guys do. Do you query them with stuff or just sit there as a contact and wait for them to contact you?

Racoon

Re: What to do with Linkedin contacts?

I'm only responding because I think its kind of funny that no one has an answer. I got on LinkedIn a little while ago myself, and I don't really see the point of it. What is it supposed to do? How can this help me? Does anyone get anything out of LinkedIn? Or is it just a really boring ripoff of facebook?
    scribbler screenwriting blog-o-zine - Celebrating its fifth year of bloggerdom!

Download a copy of Screenwriting Down to the Atoms : The Absolute Essentials Edition completely FREE!

Comment

LinkedIn is kind of useless to me. I send out invites to people I work with sometimes and accept as well, but I really do no communication or actual networking through it...it's almost just like a formality...nothing more. For me anyway. Mostly because I just don't feel comfortable querying people through a social network...
      Last edited by scripto80; 05-07-2013, 03:23 PM.

Comment

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...9&postcount=12

Comment

Pointless to me, but just have it as a formality like scripto80 said above. I've had some people contact me through it but nothing really that translated into $$$ so it's kinda whatever.

Great for people who are in corporate America though and have their resumes online. I know a lot of people who get contacted by recruiters for job interviews.
          One must be fearless and tenacious when pursuing their dreams. If you don't, regret will be your reward.

The Fiction Story Room

Comment

I have a pen name I use so I did use that mailbox to join and people that I had queried sent me invitaitons, so I joined and found some bigger producers on there and sent my own invites and much to my suprise some accepted.

But I tried to query someone not on my list and it makes you join or get 3-5 other people to join and all this nonsense? And of course you can join the premium account for 20 bucks a month? I'm finding it worthless as a writer but I might be wrong.

racoon

Comment

http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ad.php?t=71736
              If it weren't for people like me, people like you would have nothing to talk about.

Comment

I've got a free month of the premium account to use up so I'm making a long list of people (mostly assistants) to throw queries at. Worst case scenario is nothing happens as usual. Worth a go.

Comment

Have you used the feature that lets you look up who has looked at your profile?

racoon

Comment

Yeah but it's only been people I've messaged. To be expected really.

Comment

Originally posted by TheConnorNoden View Post
                      I've got a free month of the premium account to use up so I'm making a long list of people (mostly assistants) to throw queries at. Worst case scenario is nothing happens as usual. Worth a go.

LinkedIn is the best way to query companies in my opinion. You can target people who normally don't receive a lot of queries.

Assistants, trainees, even interns.

I got almost 40 script requests through LinkedIn, including from all the top agencies.

Use your InMails wisely. And after a week, when you get the unused ones back, be ready to send them out again asap. If you don't waste any time, you can get 4 rounds of InMailing in a single month.

And best of luck!

Gary

Comment

Gary's right about LinkedIn -- you can find a ton of assistants/interns that you can't usually find elsewhere.

I've never actually clicked on anyone's profile who I didn't personally know, but I just logged in for the first time in forever and I have several vague "someone in the entertainment industry viewed your profile" notices. Maybe it's worth getting a premium account?

I also recommend getting a subscription to StudioSystem's inhollywoood.com for this -- it usually has more info/people than imdbpro.com and complements it well. I'm guessing most people can't afford the $3000ish/year premium subscription that Hollywood uses, but a representative for the company told me they no longer allow non-pros to have that kind of access anymore, anyways

Comment

The people who have invited me to join has been people whom I have already quiered with scripts. But there was a few that I hadn't and I wonder how they got my name to invite unless they saw it on someone elses page? But I might find some new names to query.

Racoon

Comment

^ agreed. I'm guessing it's either people you queried through the usual methods, or maybe they heard of you through a contest. I don't use LinkedIn at all and have nothing in my profile (maybe just my birthday), so I'm fairly sure I don't come up in any entertainment-related searches. I just wish they'd tell you specifically who it is without having to get a premium account

Comment

Working...
                            X