Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• M.Landis: The Blacklist has jumped the shark

I'm listening to Scriptnotes #280 and they are discussing the new blacklist and they reference that Max Landis apparently somewhere said that the blacklist has jumped the shark. Does anyone know where he said this and why?

What they were discussing in the podcast is how all the films on the list are highly unconventional, so is it because the list has become so non commercial?

Re: M.Landis: The blacklist has jumped the shark

I'm not sure why he said it, but I'm guessing it's because of the Lax Mandis project and the proliferation of "look at me" scripts that have no chance of actually getting made. Writers are trying to sell themselves and get noticed by any means necessary rather than actually write quality scripts, it seems from a lot of the BL entries.

Comment

Re: M.Landis: The blacklist has jumped the shark

the spirit of the annual black list is no longer what it used to be -- at least in my view.

Comment

Re: M.Landis: The Blacklist has jumped the shark

well if Max Landis says it . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Dimitri001 View Post
          Max Landis apparently somewhere said that the blacklist has jumped the shark. Does anyone know where he said this and why?
          I was very tempted to post a 'Let Me Google That For You' link here, as it would be infinitely easier to just do a quick Max Landis + Balcklist search and get an answer to this (as opposed to posting it here and getting Joe Banks riled up... Again).

He posted his response to his Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/uptomyknees...02821612707417

and regardless of what you think of him, he does have a valid point.

Here was Craig Mazin's comment on the podcast:

"Max Landis said, “This is the Black List jumping the shark.” I don’t think so.

I understand why he feels that way. I mean, this is a personal attack on him and I get that. I don’t know if it’s jumping the shark.

But Fonzie is definitely like looking at the water right now, like measuring. There is a warning sign here. There is a little bit of a red flag. I think Franklin is well aware.

And so it’s something that I don’t know what the answer is. I don’t know what the solution is. You don’t want to fix what isn’t broken, but some danger signals here. So, hopefully, you know, things get better. But in general, big fan."

Comment

I don't say this often... but I actually agree with Max here. It's not about whether the script was a personal attack on him or not (I've read it - it was), I think his "jumped the shark" comment is really about the purpose of the list. Everybody knows the list is voted on mostly by Creative Execs, and here you have a script that was written purely out of pent up Creative Exec angst and directed at an individual the writer sees as the face of a larger, endemic problem in Hollywood. There's nothing wrong with making a point, but I think what Max takes issue with most is that this script wasn't written to be made into a movie. Hell, it wasn't even written to be sold or to be developed or to help launch this writer's career. It was written to do exactly what it does on the cover page - give two big middle fingers to Max Landis so that all the CE's in town who are tired of him can have a good laugh. So essentially what ML is saying here is that the snake has eaten it's own tale. This list created to help and serve undiscovered and unrepresented writers is now turning into an inside-joke for CE's.

Max was also right in saying that voting that script onto the list kept off a script from a writer who had a story he/she was really passionate about, and who's placement on the list could have actually made a difference in their life. The script is funny. It actually made me laugh. It sucks that the writer couldn't channel his observable talent into a story worth telling.

One last thing to say, and this is a lesson I got really early on working out here: Don't put yourself up by putting other people down. The town is too small and people remember things, and it's just a shitty thing to do. This writer did just that. He made a slam piece directed and somebody he doesn't like, or who's success bothers him. It's not cool.
            Write, rite, wright... until you get it RIGHT.

Comment

Originally posted by asteven50 View Post
              I don't say this often... but I actually agree with Max here. It's not about whether the script was a personal attack on him or not (I've read it - it was), I think his "jumped the shark" comment is really about the purpose of the list. Everybody knows the list is voted on mostly by Creative Execs, and here you have a script that was written purely out of pent up Creative Exec angst and directed at an individual the writer sees as the face of a larger, endemic problem in Hollywood. There's nothing wrong with making a point, but I think what Max takes issue with most is that this script wasn't written to be made into a movie. Hell, it wasn't even written to be sold or to be developed or to help launch this writer's career. It was written to do exactly what it does on the cover page - give two big middle fingers to Max Landis so that all the CE's in town who are tired of him can have a good laugh. So essentially what ML is saying here is that the snake has eaten it's own tale. This list created to help and serve undiscovered and unrepresented writers is now turning into an inside-joke for CE's.

Max was also right in saying that voting that script onto the list kept off a script from a writer who had a story he/she was really passionate about, and who's placement on the list could have actually made a difference in their life. The script is funny. It actually made me laugh. It sucks that the writer couldn't channel his observable talent into a story worth telling.

One last thing to say, and this is a lesson I got really early on working out here: Don't put yourself up by putting other people down. The town is too small and people remember things, and it's just a shitty thing to do. This writer did just that. He made a slam piece directed and somebody he doesn't like, or who's success bothers him. It's not cool.
              Hear, hear. To all of this.
              "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Originally posted by asteven50 View Post

^^^Absolutely 100%^^^

Comment

Agreed. And aside from getting some BL votes, that script is not gonna help that writer a ton either. What gets you work in this town is executives dropping a script on their boss's desk and saying "This is the writer we need to hire." Will some CE-level inside-joke hit piece on Max Landis resonate in a Lorenzo DiBonaventura/Marc Platt/JJ Abrams in terms of that writer's ability to craft a great movie? Probably not. The BL got their name out there, so mission accomplished, but now I hope he/she has other samples ready to go.
                  https://twitter.com/DavidCoggeshall
                  http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1548597/

Comment

Working...
                  X