I got a 9 on the Black List -- now what?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: I got a 9 on the Black List -- now what?

Originally posted by Jai Brandon View Post
    Thanks. Uploaded mine on the 16th, so I'm trying to get an idea regarding the queue time. Wednesday marks my three week deadline, so I'm sure it'll get in by then...
    If it doesn't, let us know and we'll be happy to comp you a free month's hosting.

Comment

Originally posted by FranklinLeonard View Post
      If it doesn't, let us know and we'll be happy to comp you a free month's hosting.
      Thanks, Franklin. Will do.
      FADE IN:
      PERSEVERANCE OVERCOMES ADVERSITY
      NEVER FADE OUT.

Comment

Some more success stories!
        http://thebitterscriptreader.blogspo...ed-thanks.html
        "I talked to a couple of yes men at Metro. To me they said no."

http://wagstaffnet.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Gary Dragan Milin View Post
          No. The huge variance in scoring actually reflects a problem with my script. Not the system.

So to echo other people's advice: we should stop trying to fix the system, and instead focus on fixing our script.
          The American Idol Syndrome.

Interesting that rather focus on the scores and lament the differences and the integrity of the system, you chose to analyze the feedback and trace it back to the reasons for the scores -- which reside in the script, not the system. Smart writer.

Thanks for the informative post, Gary!
          12 Angry Men is proof that all you need is a bunch of good actors, good characters, clear motivations and a table. -- Ben Odgren; Go into the Story

Comment

This may be of interest to some...

I got 3 paid reviews for my script THE TIME MACHINE.

And the scores for all the catagories were literally all over the place. Ranging from 9 to 4.

There was not a single 3-reviewer consensus in any of the catagories.

The closest to a consensus was when 2 out of 3 reviewers gave me the same score in 3 of the catagories. But oddly enough, the dissenting reviewer in each of those 3 cases was off by a full 3 points.

Just looking at the numerical scores, it looks all very random.

However...

(and this is the part I found most useful)

However, all of the comments were EXTREMELY similar.

Regardless of the scores, the three reviewers all identified the exact same strengths and weaknesses in the script.
            This is so spot on Gary and totally inline with my own experience with one of my scripts and three reviews.

I too saw the same variation in scores but the same strengths and weaknesses identified. It was only the verdicts which varied and I can appreciate why.

Indeed, one had a positive slant, one was more critical, the other quite balanced. It was the more critical reviews that provided the most tangible notes to work from.

The two positive reviews would have put it on the Top List for it's genre, in fact I'm confident I could get it on there with another review. However, the critical feedback has pointed out a commercial floor, as good as the script is, it's way too close to an incredibly successful film with a better script, so why kid myself someone would ever make it.
            Script Revolution - A free to use script hosting website that offers screenwriters a platform to promote their scripts and a way for filmmakers to search through them.

Comment

Originally posted by Jai Brandon View Post
              Uploaded mine on the 16th, so I'm trying to get an idea regarding the queue time. Wednesday marks my three week deadline, so I'm sure it'll get in by then...
              Keep an eye on your downloads, I always see downloads (without any impressions) a day or two before the review comes in.
              Last edited by CJ Walley; 02-02-2013, 07:27 AM.
              Script Revolution - A free to use script hosting website that offers screenwriters a platform to promote their scripts and a way for filmmakers to search through them.

Comment

You guys that are seeing the same comments but huge variance in scores-- isn't the deal that a 10 means that the person would basically be fired from their job if they didn't show it to their boss and, given that, that a low score means their boss wouldn't be interested at all? I'd assume then that if your script gets an 9 a 6 and a 7 that the person who gave it a 9 works for some place that's into that kind of movie. The 7 might've liked the script, but their company doesn't make that kind of thing. Right?

Comment

Originally posted by cvolante View Post
                  You guys that are seeing the same comments but huge variance in scores-- isn't the deal that a 10 means that the person would basically be fired from their job if they didn't show it to their boss and, given that, that a low score means their boss wouldn't be interested at all? I'd assume then that if your script gets an 9 a 6 and a 7 that the person who gave it a 9 works for some place that's into that kind of movie. The 7 might've liked the script, but their company doesn't make that kind of thing. Right?
                  It's just polarisation, and it's pretty shocking when you first get it.

Personally I've only seen it on one script with one reader, that's out of eight reads on three scripts. Everything else has been within one or two points.

Needless to say it was on a script prone to polarisation, it was pulpy.

You just have to accept sometimes you're going to be selling mayo to Mazin.

Comment

Gross.

Comment

Originally posted by thestuart View Post
                      It's just polarisation, and it's pretty shocking when you first get it.

Personally I've only seen it on one script with one reader, that's out of eight reads on three scripts. Everything else has been within one or two points.

Needless to say it was on a script prone to polarisation, it was pulpy.

You just have to accept sometimes you're going to be selling mayo to Mazin.
                      This may be of interest to some...

I got 3 paid reviews for my script THE TIME MACHINE.

And the scores for all the catagories were literally all over the place. Ranging from 9 to 4.

There was not a single 3-reviewer consensus in any of the catagories.

The closest to a consensus was when 2 out of 3 reviewers gave me the same score in 3 of the catagories. But oddly enough, the dissenting reviewer in each of those 3 cases was off by a full 3 points.

Just looking at the numerical scores, it looks all very random.

However...

(and this is the part I found most useful)

However, all of the comments were EXTREMELY similar.

Regardless of the scores, the three reviewers all identified the exact same strengths and weaknesses in the script.

They felt it was an extremely commercial story, that needed some work in order to be marketable. Some just felt it needed more work, others less.

I even submitted my script to SpecScout and their three reviewers also identified the exact same strengths and weaknesses. But once again, the scores were all over the place. One of the readers even gave my script a recommend!

So, does this mean that the process is flawed because the scores are so uneven?

No. The huge variance in scoring actually reflects a problem with my script. Not the system.

If a script has potential, but still needs a lot of work, then this is what you should expect to see. Scores all over the place. Some readers will focus more on what's working. While others will focus more on what isn't.

If a script was beyond repair, then I'm sure the scores would be very similar across the board.

And the same would be true if a script was "market ready".

So to echo other people's advice: we should stop trying to fix the system, and instead focus on fixing our script.

Gary
                      + 1

And what Mazin said. I have a feeling, just an a intuition that he's been in the trenches and has a reasonable perspective of sorts.
                      #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Comment

The numbers are in...

As I posted in #1472 on the "Black List Founder" thread (under "services"):

"1. There are 2500 uploaded scripts on the site. .32% (1/3 of 1%) have reported "something" happening -- either a rep or an option.

2. 2% of the uploaded scripts are rated 9, and 7% are rated 8. None are rated 10 at the moment. So that's 225 scripts that rated highly enough to get in the Monday newsletter.

I assume that the 8 writers highlighted had ratings of 8 or 9.

That means that if you get an 8 or a 9, your odds of something happening are only 3.5%.

3. There's this belief that if you just write a great script, the world will beat a path to your door.

What these stats suggest is that if you write a great script the world will only beat a path to your door 3.5% of the time."

If you want to discuss, maybe take it over to the founder thread so we can keep it in one place?
                        "People who work in Hollywood are the ones who didn't quit." -- Lawrence Kasdan

Please visit my website and blog: www.lauridonahue.com.

Comment

Originally posted by LauriD View Post
                          .32% (1/3 of 1%) have reported "something" happening -- either a rep or an option.

Oy.

QUERY.

It's, like, FREE.

Comment

Originally posted by LauriD View Post
                            The numbers are in...

As I posted in #1472 on the "Black List Founder" thread (under "services"):

"1. There are 2500 uploaded scripts on the site. .32% (1/3 of 1%) have reported "something" happening -- either a rep or an option.

2. 2% of the uploaded scripts are rated 9, and 7% are rated 8. None are rated 10 at the moment. So that's 225 scripts that rated highly enough to get in the Monday newsletter.

I assume that the 8 writers highlighted had ratings of 8 or 9.

That means that if you get an 8 or a 9, your odds of something happening are only 3.5%.

3. There's this belief that if you just write a great script, the world will beat a path to your door.

What these stats suggest is that if you write a great script the world will only beat a path to your door 3.5% of the time."

If you want to discuss, maybe take it over to the founder thread so we can keep it in one place?
                            Or, scripts that aren't great are still getting 8s and 9s on BL3... (My interpretation after reading a few high rated scripts from the paid submissions, I haven't read a great one yet.)

Comment

Originally posted by keithcalder View Post
                              Or, scripts that aren't great are still getting 8s and 9s on BL3... (My interpretation after reading a few high rated scripts from the paid submissions, I haven't read a great one yet.)
                              Or -- people just have different ideas of what makes a great script and all of this is way more subjective than we think...

Comment

Originally posted by grumpywriter View Post
                                Or -- people just have different ideas of what makes a great script and all of this is way more subjective than we think...
                                Personal taste is definitely subjective, and plays a part. But if I'm comparing the average 8 or 9 rated script I've downloaded from BL3 to submissions I get from agencies and managers, the quality is roughly similar. So I'd say the writers at the top of BL3 are writing close to the pro writers whose scripts trickle down to lowly me.

But it's pretty rare for me to read a script in either batch that I consider to be "great." Most of them I would consider to be "not very good" with the occasional "good." The greats are few and far between, and those are the scripts that I do think shine through beyond the subjectivity of personal taste, because for the people they appeal to they are must-haves or must-represents or must-recommends. The rest are maybes. And you can't rely on launching a career with a maybe.

Comment

Working...
                                X