If I find a buyer, does my agent get a cut?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If I find a buyer, does my agent get a cut?

I have a script that my agent is shopping around / trying to get someone attached to it. I got a reply via InkTip Pro from someone saying they're interested in reading the script. If this producer via InkTip ends up wanting to buy it/option it what happens in way of my agent? Does he get his 10% still? He didn't do anything but represents my writing.
    Thanks!

Re: If I find a buyer, does my agent get a cut?

I'm sure some others will chime in but since I'm sitting here and working...

Yes, pay your agent. So you got somebody interested via InkTip? Okay. But when they send you an option or purchase agreement who is going to read it over to protect you? Who is going to get on the phone and fight for you when the producer keeps asking for more & more rewrites? Who is going to be the "bad guy" when you need protection and don't want to tell the producer off yourself, but rather can say, "Sorry, my agent won't let me"?

Just finding someone to send your script to isn't all that an agent should be doing for you. Also, unless you hate this person and thus should have gotten rid of them already, then you should pay them to keep the relationship strong. Maybe they don't do tons for you now, but later on they might very well give you a lot of time and earn more than their 10% on some other project. Would you be willing to pay them 20% then?

They are still out there shopping it for you. Just because you went around them, so to speak, doesn't mean they aren't trying to help you. Right? Is 10% that much to "give up" in order to keep your relationship going strong with your agent?
    Will
    Done Deal Pro
    www.donedealpro.com

Comment

Originally posted by Done Deal Pro View Post
      I'm sure some others will chime in but since I'm sitting here and working...

Yes, pay your agent. So you got somebody interested via InkTip? Okay. But when they send you an option or purchase agreement who is going to read it over to protect you? Who is going to get on the phone and fight for you when the producer keeps asking for more & more rewrites? Who is going to be the "bad guy" when you need protection and don't want to tell the producer off yourself, but rather can say, "Sorry, my agent won't let me"?

Just finding someone to send your script to isn't all that an agent should be doing for you. Also, unless you hate this person and thus should have gotten rid of them already, then you should pay them to keep the relationship strong. Maybe they don't do tons for you now, but later on they might very well give you a lot of time and earn more than their 10% on some other project. Would you be willing to pay them 20% then?

They are still out there shopping it for you. Just because you went around them, so to speak, doesn't mean they aren't trying to help you. Right? Is 10% that much to "give up" in order to keep your relationship going strong with your agent?
      That's a good point. All makes sense. Guess if this thing gets rolling there'll be a lot he'll have to do for me and the project.

Thanks for that great, quick reply. Much appreciated.

Comment

Yes.

Bill
        Free Script Tips:
        http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Does the InkTip producer know you're represented by an agent? That seems to scare a lot of producers who seek scripts on InkTip.

Don't be surprised if this producer suggests working around your agent and dealing directly with you. Not a good sign.

Comment

Yeah I've dealt with producers from inktip, they love your script and call you up and tell you they want to option it then you tell them you have an agent and you never hear from them again?

snowman

Comment

Originally posted by Filmmagician View Post
              I have a script that my agent is shopping around / trying to get someone attached to it. I got a reply via InkTip Pro from someone saying they're interested in reading the script. If this producer via InkTip ends up wanting to buy it/option it what happens in way of my agent? Does he get his 10% still? He didn't do anything but represents my writing.
              Thanks!
              It's in your interest to pay your agent. The fact is, any little deal you do on your own is probably going to be negligible money, particularly some producer off of Inktip. So kicking down your agent what, a couple hundred or at the most (highly improbable) a couple thousand dollars means a lot more to solidifying the relationship and building your career than a couple bucks in the bank.

As well, if you do have a prospect out there, you would be smart to have your reps handle things--they will sniff out the bullshit in a hurry and probably makeyou more than the ten percent you will pay them--you don't want to represent yourself in negotiations.
              Last edited by Geoff Alexander; 07-05-2014, 05:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X