Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black List Title

Question, I have a script posted on BL (6 average). It seems one reviewer had a problem with it. Called it a non-sequiter title, not 100% sure what it means, but thinking about changing it. Has anyone changed a title of their script while it was hosted on BL? Any experience changing your title? Thanks.

Re: Black List Title

Originally posted by pangolin View Post
    Question, I have a script posted on BL (6 average). It seems one reviewer had a problem with it. Called it a non-sequiter title, not 100% sure what it means, but thinking about changing it. Has anyone changed a title of their script while it was hosted on BL? Any experience changing your title? Thanks.
    If it's not clear what he means by calling the title a non sequitur, then it's hard to tell whether it's a bad note (which you shouldn't take), or a helpful note (which you should take, but only once you understand what the criticism was, otherwise you run the risk of picking a new title that doesn't actually address the problem).

Comment

Without reading your script, it's impossible to know if that comment is valid--but ask yourself if your title is strongly connected to your story, characters or thematic. If not, that might be why they felt it was a non sequitur. Great titles are very closely connected to the overall story, theme or character.
      Last edited by celticbeauty; 03-31-2014, 10:34 PM.

Comment

Since one purpose of this board is education, let me point out that the correct spelling of the term is: non sequitur (two words, no hyphen).

What the reviewer probably meant is that the title of the script bears no logical relation to the content of the story.

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Collateral was a non sequitur. If Mann can do it, so can you!
          I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Collateral was a non sequitur. If Mann can do it, so can you!
            Again, from an educational perspective, and not to be argumentative ... Here is the first sentence from the imdb blurb on the film (which I did not see):
            A cab driver finds himself the hostage of an engaging contract killer as he makes his rounds from hit to hit during one night in Los Angeles.
            I have no trouble relating the word "collateral" to the implied situation of the cab driver, since a "hostage" is a form of collateral. Maybe that is what Mann meant.

(Unrelated side note: I am puzzled that my Firefox browser, or the VBulletin Board, is flagging 'Los Angeles' as a misspelling. Gee, I never cease to be amazed.)

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

A non sequitur: Collateral was a great movie.
              "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

OP -

Do you think your title makes sense for your film? Even if it isn't obvious, say it's abstract, or ironic, or comes from one little line that the reader missed - does it make sense to you? Do you like it? Why did you pick it?

We can't know from what you've told us so far. Has anyone else that has read your script, besides this reader, mentioned it? If it's just a bad title for a film, say generic, or boring, that's one thing, and maybe should be changed.

But if it makes sense to you, and you like it, and no one else has mentioned it, don't just change it because one reader didn't get it.

But now I want to know what it is?!

By the way, Collateral did make sense as a title for that film.
                "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

I think "collateral" specifically comes up in the script when Vincent (Cruise) kills a couple guys who "didn't have to die" and writes it off as "collateral" damage. Then Max asks Vincent if he's collateral too and Vincent says something like, "We'll see."

Not to say it was a key part of the movie, but it's not like they totally pulled it out of nowhere.

Comment

Just checked to make sure:

Vincent in the back seat. (Juxtapose to a different continuity. *
                    Through the side window, we see Crenshaw Boulevard barbershops, *
                    music shops. We're stopped for a light.) Max is shell-shocked.
                    VINCENT
                    Another collateral.
                    MAX
                    What's that?
                    VINCENT
                    Collateral damage. People in the
                    wrong place at the wrong time.
                    (meets Max's gaze)
                    And you? You attract attention? You
                    are gonna get people killed who didn't
                    need to be. Understand?
                    MAX
                    I'm low on gas...
                    VINCENT
                    Pull in there.
                    33A EXT. GAS STATION, IN STREET - TAXI - NIGHT 33A
                    pulls by.
                    TIME-LAPSE - MACRO-CU: NUMBERS
                    race by. WIDEN. SEE Max filling up the taxi. Vincent is
                    positioned off the right rear corner from where he is line-ofsight
                    to everything. His affect is flat, distant. Max has
                    witnessed violent death and the full, lethal capabilities of
                    Vincent. Neither say a word...until softly...
                    MAX
                    Vincent?
                    VINCENT
                    Yes, Max?
                    MAX
                    Am I collateral?
                    Pause. A long one.
                    VINCENT
                    I haven't decided.

Not very relevant to the OP, so sorry for the digression.

I agree that the idea of non sequitur title probably implies that it has no obvious connection to the contents of the script.

Comment

To answer your question, yes it's easy. You may have to upload a revised version of your script if you have the title on the PDF. I don't remember which section it's under but with a little bit of hunting you'll find it. (It's pretty logical.)

Comment

You guys want a freakin' non sequitur title, try A CLOCKWORK ORANGE.

Titles can be literal, symbolic, and/or abstract. Unless it's completely misleading, I don't think there's anything wrong with a non sequitur title.

Comment

Originally posted by Aros View Post
                          You guys want a freakin' non sequitur title, try A CLOCKWORK ORANGE.
                          ?... It's not a non sequitur -- Anthony Burgess described what a clockwork orange was about a million times in the book, and, after all, A CLOCKWORK ORANGE was the title of his immensely popular and significant book. It's a pretty apt title for the film adaptation.

Comment

Working...
                          X