Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• While We're Young

Watched this over the weekend and it's really stayed with me. The performances are excellent; initially I found Adam Driver unbelievably annoying, but (without spoiling anything) by the end of the film you realise this was all part of the story. The whole thing is beautifully shot without being showy, and surprisingly it was really funny - given that it's very much a comedy-drama it made me laugh more than most supposed comedies. It neatly skewers the pretentiousness and affectation of millennial hipsters, but doesn't spare the 'grown-ups' either. A montage of Driver and Seyfried's life - all crackly VHS tapes and vintage board games - was painfully accurate.

It's often said that nobody's making smart, adult-focussed films any more, but films like this and LISTEN UP PHILIP are as good as any from the supposed heyday of the 70s. Noah Baumbach is rapidly becoming this generation's Woody Allen and I'm already looking forward to MISTRESS AMERICA.
    My stuff

Re: While We're Young

I enjoyed that, too.

Comment

I agree. I didn't know what to expect from this film, but ended up pleasantly surprised. The movie ended up going in a direction that I did not expect, and it was for the better. It's at Redbox now, so definitely worth a watch.

Comment

I thought it was pretty bad.

It was sold as a comedy and it really isn't.

And I'm so tired of Hollywood writing movies about themselves - boring.
        "Running down a dream, that never would come to me." Tom Petty

Comment

Working...
        X