Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What happened to Vince Vaughn?

I just saw Fred Clause and I'm thinking, this is the kind of movie a "movie star" sits down and watches and asks himself, "How did I get here?" It's the kind of effort that makes you reflect on your career and ask, "Is this what I wanted to do when I got into the business?" I might understand if the guy was married with kids (and securing their future) but there seems to be no reason for dong this. And then he goes ahead and does the same thing this year (with Four Christmases). Does he really need more money to buy more big macs and beer? He already looks like Tom Arnold.

I thought he hit a nice stride when he did The Break-Up. That was a comedy but it had some weight behind it. These are just...terrible movies. What happened to this guy?
    Script Reviews - 5 a week! http://scriptshadow.blogspot.com/

Re: What happened to Vince Vaughn?

I agree. He stays a big movie star because of those movies though. He's not an action star and doesn't headline comedies like Will Ferrell. I prefer the Swingers/Clay Pigeons Vince Vaughn. But those days are long gone.

Comment

He is still one of just a handful of actors that can green-light a comedy on his name alone.
      Twitter: @WriterLe

Comment

I liked 4 christmas's, actually. A nice comedy on the current family disfunction that happens this time a year.

Comment

He's certainly talented. I may not have enjoyed all his films, but his onscreen charisma is undeniable.
          "I ask every producer I meet if they need TV specs they say yeah. They all want a 40 inch display that's 1080p and 120Hz. So, I quit my job at the West Hollywood Best Buy."
          - Screenwriting Friend

Comment

I don't understand the question at all.

Vince Vaughn was a producer on both movies - those movies were his choices. And they were good choices - though FRED didn't do as well as FOUR will probably do, it made around $75 million and hung around until after the holidays last year. Both of these films are completely the kind of thing he does - the thing that audiences want to see him do... so what is the problem? FOUR may have broken some box office records, I don't know (*ticket sales* were up almost 5%). Successful films.

- Bill
            Free Script Tips:
            http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Fred was pretty lame. I watched it last night. Usually you get one signature Vince Vaugh improv "you're better than that" line per film. He gave two to the kid in one sentence about twenty minutes into the movie and I swear he used it a couple more times after that.
              I realized something today. It's not about me and my dream of doing nothing. It's about all of us together ...

Comment

Bill, what I mean is having some artistic integrety. I mean Fred Clause is basically a remake of The Santa Clause with Tim Allen. Complete with FBI SWAT Elf team doing WWF wrestling moves on the star, fart jokes, and wacky dancing scenes.

I think you sell a bit of your soul when you'll do anything for a buck. And it seems like Vaughn's at that point. I remember reading an interview from him a few years back when he said he was sick of these high-concept comedies where you get a million dollars if you marry a girl you hate and said he wanted to take more chances. In The Break-Up, he did that. It was a romantic comedy but it was quite dark at times. Now it seems like he's taking part in the very type of movie he said he'd never do.

As far as producing these movies, pretty much every A-list actor gets a producer credit on whatever movie they do so they can have some creative input (read: so he's allowed to do his improv schtick). I don't think he had anything to do with the development of this film though. The guy's too busy getting trashed and raiding Dunkin Donuts.

Also, anyone on this board could come up with a concept that, when combined with a 70 million dollar marketing campaign, and Vaughn and Witherspoon as your stars, is going to pull at least a 40 mil opening weekend.

Comment

Originally posted by wilsoneads View Post
                  Does he really need more money to buy more big macs and beer? He already looks like Tom Arnold.
                  LOL - go watch Swingers and then slap in Fred Claus - it looks like Vince *ate* Tom Arnold.

Comment

When I watch his movies now, all I think is, he's got seven bags under his eyes, his face looks like a blowfish, and this is AFTER an hour of hair and make-up. What di. d he look like before?? This guy is going the route of Marlon Brando. Minus the acting skills of course.

Comment

My kids really liked Fred Clause - they represent the demographic who, after all, the film was targeting. It was a nice little kids film. No Finding Nemo - not even close - but it had its moments. (For the kids. Not for me, granted.)

The way I see it, Vince Vaughn made a harmless film that kids liked. There's no shame in that, surely.
                      sigpic

Website
                      Tweets
                      Book

Comment

Originally posted by wilsoneads View Post
                        When I watch his movies now, all I think is, he's got seven bags under his eyes, his face looks like a blowfish, and this is AFTER an hour of hair and make-up. What di. d he look like before?? This guy is going the route of Marlon Brando. Minus the acting skills of course.
                        Hey, Vince!

Don't listen to this guy. I think your acting skills are are right up there with Brando's.

You simply must check out my latest script. The leading role is just right for you, and I'll even write one in for your girlfriend... uh, Vanessa? Kyla? Whoever it is right now. Come on, you'll have a blast producing, directing, starring... Anything you want!

And the seven bags under your eyes won't matter. Hell, they might even help.

So call me.
                        "THIMK." - Amomynous

Comment

I think Vince just plays Vince.

Sometimes the movie is right for him, sometimes it's just painful.

I think Wedding Crashers used him just right. I was actually always kind of annoyed with him in Swingers.

Comment

The only thing I like about him lately is that he forces his productions to shoot in Chicago (where I'm from). So he gets that right.

Comment

I'll one better R.D. I have one ready to go for you Vince with a spot for your woman of the moment. It's a family film and it has monkeys. How can you turn that down.

call me

Comment

Working...
                              X