No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sunspring: An algorithm writes a screenplay

http://arstechnica.com/the-multivers...angely-moving/

Knowing that an AI wrote Sunspring makes the movie more fun to watch, especially once you know how the cast and crew put it together.

Director Oscar Sharp made the movie for Sci-Fi London, an annual film festival that includes the 48-Hour Film Challenge, where contestants are given a set of prompts (mostly props and lines) that have to appear in a movie they make over the next two days. Sharp's longtime collaborator, Ross Goodwin, is an AI researcher at New York University, and he supplied the movie's AI writer, initially called Jetson.

As the cast gathered around a tiny printer, Benjamin spat out the screenplay, complete with almost impossible stage directions like "He is standing in the stars and sitting on the floor." Then Sharp randomly assigned roles to the actors in the room. "As soon as we had a read-through, everyone around the table was laughing their heads off with delight," Sharp told Ars.

The actors interpreted the lines as they read, adding tone and body language, and the results are what you see in the movie. Somehow, a slightly garbled series of sentences became a tale of romance and murder, set in a dark future world. It even has its own musical interlude (performed by Andrew and Tiger), with a pop song Benjamin composed after learning from a corpus of 30,000 other pop songs.

Discuss?

"Running down a dream, that never would come to me." Tom Petty

Re: Sunspring: An algorithm writes a screenplay

"The Boss" was also written by an algorithm (which was malfunctioning throughout the entire process).
    I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
      "The Boss" was also written by an algorithm (which was malfunctioning throughout the entire process).
      I'll have to look at that.

Does this mean writers are replaceable by a bot?? LOL
      "Running down a dream, that never would come to me." Tom Petty

Comment

It came off like a hilarious spoof of pretentious art films. I think we're safe for awhile. That, and there'll probably be a stigma attached to watching stuff NOT written by people, IMO.

Comment

I love this film! I know Oscar (he was on staff at Raindance Film Fest some of the years I was on jury) and this is totally the kind of crazy subversive stuff he excels at. This film is so deep you need hipwaders to watch it.
          Free Script Tips:
          http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Originally posted by nativeson View Post
            ... there'll probably be a stigma attached to watching stuff NOT written by people, IMO.
            You bloody robophobic bio-supremacists make me sick.
            Know this: I'm a lazy amateur, so trust not a word what I write.
            "The ugly can be beautiful. The pretty, never." ~ Oscar Wilde

Comment

Originally posted by Crayon View Post
              You bloody robophobic bio-supremacists make me sick.

Comment

Working...
              X