Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: the event

It's the NBC version of Lost, meaning canned situations and dialogue, subpar acting, and cheap production values. It just looks like "TV." There will never be another Lost because nobody has the balls or the smarts to bring a cinematic experience to television. Lost was just beautiful. It had one of the best scores ever on television. And for every complaint about it, it certainly knew how to create suspense and mystery through what it WASN'T saying. Shows like this make you realize that Lost really was on to something in how they teased us with mystery.

Unfortunately for fans of the show like me, there's nowhere else to turn. So The Event gets one more week out of me. If it doesn't impress then the next event is me removing it from my DVR.

Comment

Emily -

Thank you, that was hilarious! The scary part of it - I don't think you exaggerated at all! You totally called this last week on your blog, so I was curious how bad it was going to be. And it was bad. I could swear they even inserted flashbacks that were flashforwards from "Flashforward". The plane disappearing at the end was the only interesting thing. Why didn't you warn us to just watch the last minute of the show?! Especially since I have a fear that the second episode will just be a bunch of out-of-synch flashbacks of the first episode, until the last minute.

------------------------

This may have been the most annoying show I've ever seen. I think I spent way more time fast-forwarding through commercials than watching the show. None of the actors had any charisma. Afterwards, I kept thinking - why did these bad guys, who knew all about the main people, wait for the cruise and go through that whole ruse when they could have just carried out their plan while the young couple were at her parents house to begin with.

At least "Flashforward" had a more interesting pilot and there was a reason for flashing forward. Then it got boring seeing the same flashforwards over and over again, while my formerly beloved Joseph Fiennes got confused and thought he was on a soap opera and sullenly chewed up the scenery, until I prayed his character would start drinking again and the terrorists would shoot him. I gave up on that before it even got cancelled.

I stopped watching "V" because that was a big bore. Did that ever get better? I think that's coming back.

I wish someone would come up with a good replacement for Lost. I loved it until the end of the last season when I realized nothing would be explained and felt like the writers were big, fat, lazy cheaters. But I still didn't regret the journey. I'm sure there was a thread on that.

I'll give "The Event" two more episodes before I bail.

All you DDers out there, get busy writing some good TV shows!
      "The Hollywood film business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." Hunter S Thompson

Comment

you cannot replace a show like lost so soon. it's impossible. there's something in us that won't let it happen until we get over the old one.
        no one expects people to remarry right after our spouse has died. there's a morning period involved. however, for some lost was more like a pet dog. it dies and then a year later, you get a puppy that reminds you of your dog named lost. these will be the lasting viewers of the event.

but one day - there will be a lost replacement. it might take 10 or 15 years before someone comes up with a fresh concept that hasn't been seen before.

Comment

Eh.
          http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

Originally posted by NikeeGoddess View Post
            you cannot replace a show like lost so soon. it's impossible. there's something in us that won't let it happen until we get over the old one.
            no one expects people to remarry right after our spouse has died. there's a morning period involved. however, for some lost was more like a pet dog. it dies and then a year later, you get a puppy that reminds you of your dog named lost. these will be the lasting viewers of the event.

but one day - there will be a lost replacement. it might take 10 or 15 years before someone comes up with a fresh concept that hasn't been seen before.

Kinda of like there was a six-year interval between the end of "The X-Files" and the start of "Fringe".
            "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Originally posted by jkk808 View Post
              F#*king aliens.
              Bingo.

Comment

Originally posted by elephant1978 View Post
                There will never be another Lost because nobody has the balls or the smarts to bring a cinematic experience to television. Lost was just beautiful. ...

Unfortunately for fans of the show like me, there's nowhere else to turn.

Have you rewatched the entire season yet? We're doing that now and it's SO great -- a whole different perspective.

Comment

Originally posted by cvolante View Post
                  Have you rewatched the entire season yet? We're doing that now and it's SO great -- a whole different perspective.
                  I did actually. That was my ritual after every season ended. Next year I'll go through the whole series again. Yes, it's really wonderful. Especially when you know how it ends, you can appreciate a lot of what they did. And I truly found a better understanding for everything. I think the amount of questions left unanswered are few, if any. They may not have answered everything but put the pieces of the puzzle on the board. In rewatching this season alone, I could put a lot together.

Comment

Battlestar Gallactica was better than Lost.

By a mile.
                    "Tact's just 'not saying true stuff.' " - Cordelia Chase

Comment

Originally posted by Optimus View Post

By a mile.
                      +1

Comment

i thought it was pretty good. i liked the whole flashbacks within a flashback thing, obviously taking a page from lost with their play on structure. itd be interesting if they kept that structure for the rest of the series. i liked the central mystery thats been posed, and im wondering what the heck it is just as i did with lost. im a bit wary to watch another episode for that reason. i dont want to get sucked in again for a show that gives more questions than answers. it reminded me a lot of The Days Before actually and i do think the mystery is gonna be aliens invading. what else could it be?

there were a couple of things that left me scratching my head, though. how could that ethan hawke lookalike bring a gun on the airplane? what sane person would hijack a plane to kill the president just cuz his daughter's been kidnapped? we get that he loves his daughter but come on.

btw, i saw it on hulu so i didnt mind the commercials so much since they were fewer in between.

Comment

Re: The Event

yeah, if flashforward had a drunken orgy with x-files, Lost, and John Ritter, this would be the outcome.

I was ready to can the whole thing until that plane disappeared...I'm a sucker for potential alien intervention.
                          -MT
                          If Lindsey Lohan has a child, and that child will lead...I will follow.

Comment

Originally posted by Optimus View Post

By a mile.
                            I have two seasons to go on each show, but I'd pick Lost by a mile at this point, even though it has been getting worse while BG has been getting better.

Comment

Working...
                            X