Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Screenwriting at the Professional Level

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by AJ_FIN; 06-08-2020, 11:51 AM.

Comment

Let me guess, AJ ... you're in your early 20s?

Comment

Originally posted by AJ_FIN View Post
        I'm gonna die with a smile on my face because I've filled my life with only the most important things. Writing scripts. Novels. Some poetry. Making and watching films. Reading. Having fun with my friends. Sometimes I even paint. I'm happy. Always will be.
        Well your attitude is very poetic, hopefully life will be just as poetic for you in return

As someone who took off the better part of a year to write and do my own thing and not have to answer to anyone, I can relate. Unfortunately life is not being too poetic towards me in return, at the moment. Still, no regrets.

Re. taking 2 years to write a script. Hopefully, if you've learned a lot in those 2 years, it will take less time for the next one. And then even less for the third one. And so on. It's an ongoing learning process.

Comment

I take two years to decide to write a post on Done Deal. A script? That could be a lifelong proposition.

Here's my reply to the OP, question by question:

Originally posted by mariot View Post
          Peasblossom's thread made me curious...
          It was a curious thread, yes.

Do you think anyone can become a professional screenwriter if they just work hard enough and long enough?
          Sure. Why not? However, it's the rare person who will work hard and long enough to get there. So you're left with 1) those super-talented buggers who can shit out material that shames anything most of us will ever write and 2) people who are willing to devote their lives to screenwriting.

That said, while I believe that any #2 can become a professional screenwriter, I doubt most will. Those blasted #1s get all of the work!

Are you writing screenplays as a hobby with no real expectation of becoming a professional?
          No, I have hobbies that are pretty far removed from screenwriting and movies.

ETA: If you do expect to become a professional screenwriter, what is the basis of this expectation?
          Delusion.

Comment

By your join date, Chowder, it would appear it took you 6 years to post on DD. Mwahaha.

Are you French by the way?

Comment

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Rantanplan View Post
                By your join date, Chowder, it would appear it took you 6 years to post on DD. Mwahaha.

Are you French by the way?
                My last name is, yes.

You should also know that I'm a rabid anti-dentite.

Comment

Originally posted by AJ_FIN View Post
                  Wrong.

I wouldn't recommend this to everyone, no way. This is pretty much 'all in' situation. I've already sacrificed many friendships and my education etc. because of my goals. I'm ready to sacrifice a lot more in the years to come. Many people that I know are building safety nets, plan B's and backup plans 'just in case'. And when they wake up in their 40s, their plan A is already gone. QT once said that he didn't have a fallback because he didn't want to fall back.

I admit I'm curious, AJ... are you going to post pages in the super-duper new Pro Review Script forum that just went up? I will look forward to reading them.
                  Advice from writer, Kelly Sue DeConnick. "Try this: if you can replace your female character with a sexy lamp and the story still basically works, maybe you need another draft.-

Comment

Originally posted by Todd Karate View Post
                    ...but first you have to learn how to be good.

I'm not saying you shouldn't have any awareness of how long you take, but for the majority of you, writing to a deadline at this point is probably putting the cart before the horse.

My suggestion: mark the day you start. When you're done, check how long it took. Do *not* worry about it in between. It's just going to trip you up.
                    Thanks. I'm not sure I understand why spreading the work out over a longer period of time will make a difference. Maybe we're thinking of a different number of hours spent?

Do you see 6 hours/day for 12 weeks equal to 2 hours/day for 36 weeks?

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by Merde Chowder IronChef View Post
                      My last name is, yes.

Pretty soon, you'll be saying that they should have their own schools.

Comment

Originally posted by Hamboogul View Post
                        Pretty soon, you'll be saying that they should have their own schools.
                        "Those people. They can be so touchy."

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Merde Chowder IronChef View Post
                            My last name is, yes.

It's all coming together beautifully in my mind now

And: I KNEW it!

And: I always know. Even when you think I don't, I do.

Comment

Originally posted by mariot View Post
                              Thanks. I'm not sure I understand why spreading the work out over a longer period of time will make a difference. Maybe we're thinking of a different number of hours spent?

Do you see 6 hours/day for 12 weeks equal to 2 hours/day for 36 weeks?

Thanks.
                              I didn't mean to imply spreading the work out would make a difference. All I said was don't worry about how long it takes. The concern should be on a "good" script more than an "on time" script at this point.

As far as the hours spent, it's completely different for each person. It's about productivity, not time. If you're only capable of 2 hours of productive work per day, sitting at your desk for 6 hours isn't doing you any good.

I hope that answers your question...?

Comment

Thanks. You probably didn't imply it.

Comment

Working...
                                X