Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stutter zoom?

This one might be tough to explain, but here goes: is there a technical term for a zoom that occurs through a series of tightening shots (i.e. you start wide and then have half a dozen rapid shots closer and closer to the subject)?

It's often used in Spaghetti Westerns and exploitation films.

Re: Stutter zoom?

Originally posted by Rhodi View Post
    This one might be tough to explain, but here goes: is there a technical term for a zoom that occurs through a series of tightening shots (i.e. you start wide and then have half a dozen rapid shots closer and closer to the subject)?

I know what you're explaining/describing, but I am at odds justifying using it because it's very "directorial."

Just wondering why do you want to use the term...?
    #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Comment

I don't know what it's called either, but as soon as I read "stutter zoom" I knew what you meant, if that's any help. I also agree it's more a directorial choice but of course use it if that's what you see and it matters.
      "Friends make the worst enemies." Frank Underwood

Comment

Originally posted by Ire View Post
        I know what you're explaining/describing, but I am at odds justifying using it because it's very "directorial."

Just wondering why do you want to use the term...?
        It doesn't seem any more directorial than PULL BACK TO REVEAL or CLOSE ON or POV or FREEZE FRAME to me and I use all of those regularly.

If there isn't a standard term I can probably just describe the effect I'm after.

Comment

I can see why you might want this effect. You could just come out and say that's what you want, but I think the first thing I'd try is to see if you can get it through description. Here's a fast and loose attempt at it:

"In the distance, Fast Jim emerges from the saloon door into the wide long street.

His coat swirls as the shop fronts are closed up around him.

He scuffs his boots against the dusty road.

Fast Jim grips the handles of his guns.

His blue eyes peer out from under his hat.-

On reflection, just say what you want! E.g. "In the distance, Fast Jim emerges from the saloon and prepares to fight. We close in on him till we see the blue of his eyes.-

Comment

STUTTER ZOOM works.

If that's how you want that shot to play out, absolutely use it. It's not "directorial." It's directing the reader's eye. That's our job.

Comment

FWIW after reading "stutter zoom" I knew what you were talking about before you started describing it, and I'm not smart/experienced enough to have known beforehand that it's not an actual term, hah. I thought you were going to ask if you should use it, period.

Go for it. Then see if any readers trip up on that spot without you pointing it out to them beforehand. I bet they won't.
              "You have idea 1, you're excited. It flops. You have idea 99, you're excited. It flops.
              Only a fool is excited by the 100th idea. Fools keep trying. God rewards fools." --Martin Hellman, paraphrased

Comment

Technical Term

Axial cut.
                JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

Although correct, I would not call it an axial cut. You'd just have to explain it anyway.

I'd probably do it something like:

"In the distance, a car pulls up in front of a bar.

CLOSER as the door opens. A man steps out.

CLOSER. His shirt is covered with blood.

CLOSER. He's got a gun in his hand.

CLOSER. His face fills the frame. His ear is shot off - dried blood cakes his face."

Comment

Axial cut?

That completely unintuitive name sounds like something that the U.S. Congress would come up with to obscure what really happens.

Could we not have had STEP ZOOM or something a little more descriptive?

"The fact that you have seen professionals write poorly is no reason for you to imitate them." - ComicBent.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffLowell View Post
                      Although correct, I would not call it an axial cut. You'd just have to explain it anyway.

I'd probably do it something like:

"In the distance, a car pulls up in front of a bar.

CLOSER as the door opens. A man steps out.

CLOSER. His shirt is covered with blood.

CLOSER. He's got a gun in his hand.

CLOSER. His face fills the frame. His ear is shot off - dried blood cakes his face."
                      The thing I'm trying to describe is even more rapid than that action description. It's like Fortean's Axial Cut but way quicker - Like SHOT SHOT SHOT SHOT down onto a specific object.

Thanks for the suggestions, all. Thought there might be a shorthand I could use, but I'll figure out something on the page.

Comment

A Suggestion

RAPID SERIES OF SHOTS (AXIAL CUTS):

For another example, (more rapid cutting than my previous reference), @ 1:10 to 1:12 in this clip from Hitchcock's THE BIRDS
                        JEKYLL & CANADA (free .mp4 download @ Vimeo.com)

Comment

Originally posted by Rhodi View Post

For the purposes of readers trying to figure out what you mean (and who may have varying degrees of familiarity with technical terms), I think "stutter zoom" expresses the idea as clearly and concisely as anything else you could come up with.

It very clearly suggests that we're moving in on the subject in quick little jumps.

Comment

Originally posted by ATB View Post
                            STUTTER ZOOM works.

If that's how you want that shot to play out, absolutely use it. It's not "directorial." It's directing the reader's eye. That's our job.
                            How many readers know/understand the term stutter zoom, without taking a moment to think, ask someone, google the term, though? I don't suggest always worrying about what a reader understands, the whole balaclava thread, from awhile back, but as Rhodi described it, it is referring to cuts/editing. But "pull back" and "close in on" read cleanly.

I mean yeah, go for it, if there are no absolutely other ways to do it, go for it. Maybe if it's given a little specificity like Jeff described, it can read smoothly and keep the reader from doing a Google search, etc.
                            Last edited by Ire; 07-11-2013, 11:22 AM.
                            #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Comment

FWIW, I would write: "We ST-ST-STUTTER ZOOM in on..."

... kidding.

Comment

Working...
                              X