So how does "The Prisoner" on blu ray end up costing $219?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So how does "The Prisoner" on blu ray end up costing $219?

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Pr...-Blu-ray/5849/

Funny that something ends up sold at 367% list price - can anyone explain how this happens? For reference, seasons of Mad Men are ~$10, each, and seasons of Lost vary, with some being ~$15 and others $27, which is also interesting.

Re: So how does "The Prisoner" on blu ray end up costing $219?

second hand 5 disc copies are only $165 on amazon or 148 for the 10 disc version
    I heard the starting gun

sigpic

Comment

As I recall from an article I read on Ain't It Cool News when the Prisoner was first coming out on DVD, there were some rights clearance issues that meant the set had to be pretty expensive to possibly recoup the cost of producing it.

Comment

That might explain why the UK gets a six disc version, for 35GBP (still less than US list). But does it explain the discrepancy between the list and retail prices?

Comment

I think scarcity is the issue. I remember when the entire first season of Farscape was US $550. Seasons 2,3 and 4 were like $60.
          I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

Originally posted by ctp View Post
            can anyone explain how this happens?
            It's out of print.

That means A&E released it for a while, then discontinued it, and the remaining copies have shot up in value due to supply and demand.

Happens all the time. Sometimes they get re-released, sometimes they don't.

Comment

Originally posted by kintnerboy View Post
              It's out of print.
              Oh! Yeah, that would make sense.

Comment

Yeah, it's a weird relic that only occasionally pops up, but rarity still occasionally happens. Back in the VHS days, tapes were released to rental first and some never received a "home" release, so when I worked at Blockbuster in the late 90s, A Man Called Horse would run you $200 at special order.

Importing music CDs also used to be victim to limited online availability, so that there was a single Fauves album from Australia that was under $40. You can now go on their website and download out of print or rare albums in file format and even get their b-sides for free.

So yeah, the world changes pretty damn quickly and it's interesting to see how collector's prices are now largely unheard of.

Comment

Now I feel better about randomly buying it in June 2012 (amazon tells me) for 42 bucks. Still angry that the reboot was so bad... you had a great concept and you could easily update it for today and make it cool in it's own way.... (I know there was LOST)...

Comment

Originally posted by ctp View Post
                    http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Pr...-Blu-ray/5849/

can anyone explain how this happens?
                    Because no one was willing to pay $220 for it?

Actually, it reminds of the same problem "Drop Dead Gorgeous" has. The rights issue got really jumbled, everyone started infighting and bickering with each other and suddenly it's getting held back. The director has walked away from it (because he's an artist), the screenwriter left the whole thing jaded and miserable and no one wants to fight for it. Which really sucks.

Comment

Working...
                    X