Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What Major Box Office Bomb

Scott Pilgrim is a fantastic movie. I love Edgar Wright's style.

Comment

The Iron Giant.

Misfired at the box-office but my favorite animated movie of all-time.
      NOTES / COVERAGE
      15,000+ Screenplays
      [email protected]

Comment

there is a rule called the "10 year rule" = it takes 10 years before you can tell if a film is any good or not.

Comment

Hudsucker Proxy.

I actually saw it in a theater when it came out...but nobody else was there.

Comment

Originally posted by RogerOThornhill View Post
            Hudsucker Proxy.

people are dumb. what ya gonna do?

Comment

Originally posted by RogerOThornhill View Post
              Hudsucker Proxy.

If you name your movie Hudsucker Proxy, of course no one will show up. It's simply too stupid.

The Adventures of Pluto Nash, Xanadu, Ishtar, Mars Needs Moms, John Carter, Gigli and Special Agent: Ecks Vs. Sever also suffered from the stupid title = bomb syndrome.
              I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

What would you have named those films?

Comment

Originally posted by ctp View Post
                  Something cool

Comment

They're no worse on the face of it than Forrest Gump, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, Inglorious Basterds.

Comment

The Adventures of Pluto Nash, Xanadu, Ishtar, Mars Needs Moms, John Carter, Gigli and Special Agent: Ecks Vs. Sever also suffered from the stupid title = bomb syndrome.
                      Originally posted by ctp View Post
                      ooo... Fun, haven't posted in ages. But love a challenge.

The Adventures of Pluto Nash= LUNAR EFFECT

Lunar Effect is basically correlation of moon and erratic behavior of creatures on earth. Considering how batshit this moon-colony movie is, it fits.

Xanadu= MUSE

Simple. Understated. Movie about magical Greek Muse.

Ishtar= DEPARTURE LOUNGE

Lounge singers lives go in odd direction (hence departure) caught up in a coup that begins when their plane to Morocco has to fly via Ishtar. Might not fit the tone, but....meh....

Mars Needs Moms=

Hard to change the title really, because the small audience it did get probably was in part due to the book of the same name. But just for fun= ALIENS VS MOM (deliberate play/piggy-back on AVP franchise).

John Carter=

See above. Based on original IP/title. But again, just for fun= CIVIL WAR: MARS. Cheesy, but so is the film so tonally fits. Plus, intrigue. Not only is Mars inhabited, they're warring with each other. Also, ties in the US Civil War at the start of the movie.

Gigli= DISABLED

Hideous title, for a hideous movie. But it fits, particularly the tone. Kidnapped victim is mentally disabled. Gigli is deemed not able to do his job so lesbian assassin brought in. Gigli falling for her makes it hard to do his job. Plus, Gigli is emotionally disabled until he learns his lesson.

Special Agent: Ecks Vs. Sever= BALLISTIC

The actual game title. Perfect. No idea why they changed it.

A mixed bag, but I'd be way more inclined to watch any of these based on the revised titles than I am on the current ones.... Except Gigli.
                      Last edited by Harbinger; 08-31-2015, 10:36 AM.

Comment

The worst title in HISTORY is The Princess Bride.

Horrible, horrible, horrible title. Great movie. Horrible title.

No guy wants to see a movie called "The Princess Bride." No girl-over-age-11 wants to see a movie called "The Princess Bride."

If they had just titled the movie "INCONCEIVABLE!" it would have done better business. If they had titled it "ANDRE THE GIANT IN A MOVIE ABOUT PIRATES AND LOVE AND STUFF" it would have done better business.

When you look at good movies that bombed because of bad titles, then The Princess Bride is the WORST title of all time.

Comment

'Citizen Kane', 'The Magnificent Ambersons', 'Vertigo', 'It's a Wonderful Life', 'Lonely are the Brave', 'Ride the High Country', 'Raging Bull', 'King of Comedy'....I could go on. The list is very long. As I think I mentioned once before here, *none* of O. Welles' films made money except for 'The Stranger'.

BTW - also liked 'Scott Pilgrim' very much, and it did make $30 million, but I don't understand why it cost $60 m.. Guessing the animation.

Comment

Originally posted by Bunker View Post
                            When you look at good movies that bombed because of bad titles, then The Princess Bride is the WORST title of all time.
                            The greatest title for anything ever is for Rodney Matthews fantasy art book In Search of Forever. It's so spiritual and awe-inspiring. I think it would have been an appropriate title for Bride.

Comment

All the Pretty Horses

Another decent movie with a horrible name that drove people away in hordes.
                              We're making a movie here, not a film! - Kit Ramsey

Comment

Always stop down for SERENITY... like PRINCESS BRIDE can jump in at any point.
                                "The most terrifying thing is to accept oneself completely." ~Jung

Comment

Working...
                                X