Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weak Oscar Season?

Any anticipated upcoming films to watch before year's end?
    "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you."
    -Maya Angelou

Re: Weak Oscar Season?

Cameron Crowe's We Bought a Zoo is likely to get a nomination, and Crowe can make pretty good (commercial) pics.

Steve McQueen's Shame could get a nomination, the same way Winter's Bone did (and it's most certainly a much better film). Maybe the Tree of Life could get a nomination too.

Carnage, based on the famous play is certain to get a nomination... don't count on Polanski showing up at the Oscars though...

I'll bet most people will think Spielberg's War Horse is a sure thing for best picture.

Comment

Personally, it'll be a crime if Tree of Life doesn't win best picture. It was the best picture - and in a way, kind of embodies what you'd expect from a film that wins that award. Challenging, moving, provocative, utterly unique and discussion inspiring.

Comment

Originally posted by Paradis View Post
        Personally, it'll be a crime if Tree of Life doesn't win best picture. It was the best picture - and in a way, kind of embodies what you'd expect from a film that wins that award. Challenging, moving, provocative, utterly unique and discussion inspiring.
        I totally agree with you, but the Academy is heavily influenced by not only box office receipts, but commerical appeal, and the Tree of Life wasn't a box office smash and is totally not commercial (by design), and I even bet a big chunk of mainstream audiences would dislike it. So, call me a cynic, but I really doubt that could happen.

Comment

I agree. It'll be criminal like i said, but I would be floored (at mach speeds) if it actually won - and I think by and large because of the "commercial" appeal point you made. I think the Academy likes to annoint films they feel the majority will agree with or see wisdom in their decision. Tree of Life is flat out built to piss off some film goers, and induce metaphysical orgasm in others.

..it'd be nice though, to imagine a world where the oscar will go to this film, and maybe turn some heads in doing so. A move that ten years from now would be looked at as prudent.

Comment

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
            Last edited by AJ_FIN; 06-08-2020, 11:28 AM.

Comment

I thought it was really disappointing, and I'm a big Woody Allen fan.
              It's the eye of the Tiger, it's the thrill of the fight

Comment

Speaking of Woody, I need to see THE FRONT again. Thx.
                "There is no greater agony than bearing an untold story inside you."
                -Maya Angelou

Comment

Adam Sandler will win best Actor and Actress for his subtle and nuanced performance in Jack & Jill. The battle will be for 2nd place.

Comment

Take Shelter: Saw this a couple weeks back, really enjoyed it.

Margin Call: I was surprised at how much I enjoyed this.

The Artist: Want to see.

Shame: Want to see.

Carnage: Want to see.

I also enjoyed Tree of Life, hope it gets some nods.

I do think this is a weak season though.

Was not impressed by Moneyball. I felt few emotions during it.
                    -chris

Comment

Originally posted by Bobby Dazzler
                      No love For Bucky Larson?
                      Leave that to the Razzies.

I'd like to see "A Better Life" get nommed for Best Lead and Best Original Screenplay.
                      "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

I was a big fan of The Guard, and I think that was the best picture I've seen so far this year. But not sure if that'll be a "foreign" film or not.

HH

Comment

The Descendants will be a major contender.

Comment

Originally posted by nathanq View Post
                            Cameron Crowe's We Bought a Zoo is likely to get a nomination, and Crowe can make pretty good (commercial) pics.

Steve McQueen's Shame could get a nomination, the same way Winter's Bone did (and it's most certainly a much better film). Maybe the Tree of Life could get a nomination too.

Carnage, based on the famous play is certain to get a nomination... don't count on Polanski showing up at the Oscars though...

I'll bet most people will think Spielberg's War Horse is a sure thing for best picture.
                            Clooney will get nommed for Descendents.

Comment

The time is ripe for another Payne film.
                              sigpic

It's ruff bein' me.

Comment

Working...
                              X