Spec Writers, How Do You Choose Which Script To Write?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spec Writers, How Do You Choose Which Script To Write?

I need to think out loud since the various voices inside my head have been quiet since I started my meds.

I've got four script ideas to choose from. Let's say "I believe" they're each possibly of equal value to my "career." One has more appeal to my immediate quality of life, but might have less value in the long term. The second one has a longer term value, but lesser immediate appeal. The last two are of a longer term value to my writing life, and I'm not feeling the momentum with them. I know "write what makes you happy", but I feel like my immediate happiness could be in conflict with my longer term happiness...

If, for example a miracle occurred, signed off by the Vatican, and I had four women to choose from... One woman appealed to me because she was the casual sleepover with less long term possibility, but the other 3 were longer term possibilities and had their strengths/weaknesses, but each required longer term commitment and work. I could see wanting to have fun with the woman with benefits as what makes me "happy" in the meantime. Yes, that would conflict with the folks at the Vatican anyhoo...

3 are outlined in various stages, and 1 is to be outlined, but I think I can beat it out fairly easily...

Aside from reps/managers input, if any, I was wondering how you make your decisions about choosing your next spec script?

Your thoughts...?
    Last edited by Ire; 07-02-2013, 06:30 PM.
    #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Re: Spec Writers, How Do You Choose Which Script To Write?

Originally posted by Ire View Post
    I need to think out loud since the various voices inside my head have been quiet since I started my meds.

I've got four script ideas to choose from. Let's say "I believe" they're each possibly of equal value to my "career." One has more appeal to my immediate quality of life, but might have less value in the long term. The second one has a longer term value, but lesser immediate appeal. The last two are of a longer term value to my writing life, and I'm not feeling the momentum with them. I know "write what makes you happy", but I feel like my immediate happiness could be in conflict with my longer term happiness...

If, for example a miracle occurred, signed off by the Vatican, and I had four women to choose from... One woman appealed to me because she was the casual sleepover with less long term possibility, but the other 3 were longer term possibilities and had their strengths/weaknesses, but each required longer term commitment and work. I could see wanting to have fun with the woman with benefits as what makes me "happy" in the meantime. Yes, that would conflict with the folks at the Vatican anyhoo...

3 are outlined in various stages, and 1 is to be outlined, but I think I can beat it out fairly easily...

Aside from reps/managers input, if any, I was wondering how you make your decisions about choosing your next spec script?

Your thoughts...?
    To be brutally honest -- the whole long-term, short term relationship Vatican metaphor thing? It's going completely over my head. I don't get it at all.

I'm afraid I've just never had that kind of relationship with any script of mine. Considering that I've written around a hundred at this stage of my career (sold and unsold), I guess I'd have to be Joseph Smith to even keep track of them.

Part of what I use to decide what to write (apart from strictly practical questions of what I think is likely to sell) has to do with when an idea is "ripe."

That's sort of difficult to quantify but I think most writers sort of get what I mean. I've had some ideas hit me right out of the blue and I can see immediately how the whole thing lays out. It's all just there, good to go.

And I've written scripts like that -- where I've gotten the idea and sat down and written the whole thing within a couple weeks.

And there ideas I've had -- ideas that I really like, but they just never quite come together. Or else it takes a long time for me to crack them.

And those ideas, if you try to force them -- to write them before they've ripened, I've found that it's really just a waste of time. I've wasted a lot of time trying to write those movies before they're ready. And sometimes they never get written or else I waste a lot of time and effort on false starts and half-completed drafts that get thrown away before I finally manage to figure out how to crack the story -- where I should have just waited a bit and let the thing cook until it was ready to go.

And I still have ideas that I think are good and for some reason, they've never quite clicked. Still don't know why. Still waiting for it to happen. And maybe it never will.

I think a story, on some level, has to tell you when it's ready for you to write it.

NMS

Comment

An equally important point you should consider is the value you're bringing to each script. If you'd rather write Script A, that's the script that's likely to produce your best work right now. So, helping the short term could be helping the long term.
      http://twitter.com/gregbrainos
      http://www.facebook.com/greg.brainos

Comment

Originally posted by nmstevens View Post
        I think a story, on some level, has to tell you when it's ready for you to write it.

NMS
        Passion. That word gets thrown around far too much in everyday life, which sets a low bar for the definition. I, however, believe Passion is by definition overwhelming and rare.

Might sound trite, but the story tells me it's time because it consumes my waking thoughts. Passion.

Of course, I don't jump on my computer and start "writing" - I start taking notes, gathering details and outlining, outlining, outlining. Only after a few months of that do I start writing, and if I'm not dying to write it by that point, I know it's not ready yet, or I wasn't truly passionate about it in the first place.
        12 Angry Men is proof that all you need is a bunch of good actors, good characters, clear motivations and a table. -- Ben Odgren; Go into the Story

Comment

You can always do a marketing test with other writers, or even just plain old movie hounds who've never thought once about the Hollywood grind.

I find that the enthusiasm of people whose opinions I value is pretty contagious.
          - - - - - - -
          Script consulting still going strong.

Details and updates here, as always: http://messageboard.donedealpro.com/...ead.php?t=9901

Comment

It's impossible for someone else to recommend which of your scripts is the best for you to work on now, but I adhere the above comments about passion. I think it makes sense to work on the story you are most excited about or motivated by and focus on that first. Your enthusiasm will show in the writing. That won't stop you doing what a lot of writers also do, which is make notes about other things when you need/want to. Like NMS I don't get the long/short term value/appeal thing.
            "Friends make the worst enemies." Frank Underwood

Comment

You can try and plot out all the strategic impacts of it all you want. It all comes back to one thing. Are you feeling it? Are you feeling far enough into the story that you can sit down, write it and have it feel organic? Or is it going to be a struggle to get through as you methodically spell out plot points just to keep your story moving forward?

A script could be the best decision in the world, but if you aren't feeling it, you aren't feeling it. I've started scripts and by page 10 I wasn't feeling it. I knew if I wasn't feeling it on page 10, there was no way my feeling was going to get better by blindly plowing through a story I wasn't connected to.

To skew your tangent a little. You have your four women. Are you going to marry the one who makes the best business sense for your family? Or are you going to marry the one you have a ton of chemistry with and makes you happy? Now you can go talk to the pope.

Comment

To be brutally honest -- the whole long-term, short term relationship Vatican metaphor thing? It's going completely over my head. I don't get it at all.

I'm afraid I've just never had that kind of relationship with any script of mine. Considering that I've written around a hundred at this stage of my career (sold and unsold), I guess I'd have to be Joseph Smith to even keep track of them.

Part of what I use to decide what to write (apart from strictly practical questions of what I think is likely to sell) has to do with when an idea is "ripe."

That's sort of difficult to quantify but I think most writers sort of get what I mean. I've had some ideas hit me right out of the blue and I can see immediately how the whole thing lays out. It's all just there, good to go.

And I've written scripts like that -- where I've gotten the idea and sat down and written the whole thing within a couple weeks.

And there ideas I've had -- ideas that I really like, but they just never quite come together. Or else it takes a long time for me to crack them.

And those ideas, if you try to force them -- to write them before they've ripened, I've found that it's really just a waste of time. I've wasted a lot of time trying to write those movies before they're ready. And sometimes they never get written or else I waste a lot of time and effort on false starts and half-completed drafts that get thrown away before I finally manage to figure out how to crack the story -- where I should have just waited a bit and let the thing cook until it was ready to go.

And I still have ideas that I think are good and for some reason, they've never quite clicked. Still don't know why. Still waiting for it to happen. And maybe it never will.

NMS
                It's late and some of this is the ambien writing...

The miracle thing was just a "humorous" intro to the idea of me having been given four women to choose from and the analogy thing... Four women representing 4 different scripts.

I think the analogy can still hold and relate to what you've mentioned about writing stories when they're not ready.

The initial idea sparks interest. Hey, that could be a movie...

That woman across the way at Starbucks that asked me to watch her stuff, something tells me there's something there and sparks an interest.

That Starbucks woman I have a brief conversation with her about what she's studying and you lock eyes and then you see a wedding ring, game over.

Or there's no wedding ring and we share an interest and get into a great discussion. There's something there, friendship, a random bonding. But then I see her again, and I'm writing a little story about her and me. Maybe I'm writing it prematurely. Weeks later after talking with her and asking her out for sushi have turned into a nice little something, but there's baggage. She's divorced. She's not as interested in movies as she is in reality TV. So maybe the story ends, prematurely. It wan't what I thought it would be. I thought I had it cracked when I didn't.

There is potential for "writing the idea before they're truly ready" syndrome with two of my current ideas. And they happen to be the ones that appeal to me the most.

The short term comedy which is out of my genre, feels good to write, but as much as it's outlined, it may not be ready. But I write scenes that make me smile, so, like that one woman, the friend with benefits. We f-ck, I smile, but it's probably not going anywhere.

As for long term comparison, I think I do need to write within my genres, within my wheelhouse. To me, those within my genre scripts are long term choices for my "career" The comedy isn't, but it is high concept, It's got short term return written all over it. The same applies to a western script I outlined. It's fairly high concept. I definitely have a passion for it. I just want to make sure it's a long term passion, (so that I commit to properly researching some things that are lacking) comes to fruition.

Thanks, Neil. It's late so I don't think I've synthesized everything by any means, but you have given me good food for thought for what I do next.

I think bouncing the ideas off others is a good gauge.

"And passion is no ordinary word."
                #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Comment

I know this is a cliched answer, but I guess I'm not very original: I'd write the one I wouldn't mind waiting in line in the rain to buy a ticket. Actually, those are the only ideas I'd write.

There are plenty of movies I don't mind waiting for the DVD or even to catch them on TV at some point. I'd rather not write one of those. I'd rather write one I couldn't wait watching.

Comment

I agree with nmstevens about ripeness, but I would also add that I rotate my crops in order to stay fresh. I pick something a bit different than my last project (but still within my wheelhouse). If I just did a psychological-thriller, then I might want to do an action-thriller. That way I am writing the stories I am ready to write but I also stay out of a rut.

Comment

You are in a good position...options.

The references to passion and 'ripeness' are the keys. Over the past 3 years I wrapped my head around the concept of 'flow'...essentially it is when your art, creativity, inspiration and passion et al flow naturally into a project-- a heightened place where you are 'in the zone'.

I would recommend starting the three that are outlined, and letting the flow determine your next script.

Trying to determine which one is best or most commercial or easiest to sell will hinder the flow, so strap on your sari, grab a bottle of (insert beverage of choice) and start writing my friend!
                      "The most terrifying thing is to accept oneself completely." ~Jung

Comment

I don't pick the script. A script picks me.
                        "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

NMS
                          Thank you for that great post, nmstevens. I can't put my finger on just why, but it offers insight on those times when things just don't seem to be working as well as you'd hope in terms of conceiving storyline or even writing the same...

As to this thread's question, I'd say just write the one you want to see the most, Ire. Good luck!!
                          " Don't really like writing. But I do like having written." Vince Gilligan, Breaking Bad.

Comment

I always have this list of ideas that could become full scripts in under two weeks, if need be. But the only scripts I have completed were written because "I felt them" more than others. This is akin to what the others here are attributing to "passion." I agree with that term for the most part, but I also characterize it more along the lines of what I feel most knowledgeable about at the time of writing. Maybe I was watching a string of thriller movies, became enamored and then wrote a thriller, or maybe I was reading a hell of a lot of Heidegger and felt more inclined to write an art-house film based on the subjectivity of being.

From week to week, were a different write. I go with what feels right at the time. This can include stratagem, sure, but you can't force yourself to write an action film if another idea is calling to you. You might not get your best writing out there if you go against the grain.
                            "...it is the thousandth forgetting of a dream dreamt a thousand times and forgotten a thousand times."
                            --Franz Kafka "Investigations Of A Dog"

Comment

You're in a great place. As a wannabe screenwriter the toughest part of developing both the craft and the product is to get into a rhythm of developing and writing new material. I've found that thinking of it as a pipeline helps a lot.

It's good to have numerous projects at various different stages. Ideally, you'd always have one that you're writing first draft pages on, while the others are being developed or rewritten. Four is a good number to keep a handle on. Try to keep going from one to the next and hopefully in a year or so you'll have drafts of at least three of them.

Comment

Working...
                              X