Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Strain - Season 1

This is FX's first series on Sunday. They must have high hopes for this series, to try and compete with the big boys.

I read the pilot script and enjoyed it. Hearing the acting is hokey on the show, though. Hope not. It has a real cool premise and a unique take on vampires. Intrigued to see how the series unfolds.

Drop your thoughts.

Re: The Strain - Season 1

Corey Stoll is good and a great guy too, so I'm rooting for this one.

Comment

I'm kind of sick of vampire shows, but I watched the pilot, and it was great.
      The tone is something completely different from any other vampire movies out there.

It feels a little bit like Dracula 2000 meets CSI.
      Despite the name, Dracula 2000, was actually a very well-written script.

The only thing that stuck out was one line from the CDC guy about how often people touched their face. It seemed almost identical to the Contagion movie.

The acting seemed pretty decent, and the tone and pacing were excellent.

Comment

I've seen the first four episodes, and I think it only gets better. This is the perfect summer show. Scary fun that doesn't take itself too seriously. The whole biological angle makes vampires interesting again.

Comment

Having read the first two of the three books, I was really really looking forward to this premiere.

The acting itself seemed a bit stilted at times. But for the most part, it was a very fun and "fresh" take on the vampire world that we haven't seen in quite some time. These days we associate vampires with sparkly skin and/or the lusty vamps on True Blood and not the horrific beasts as they are portrayed in 'The Strain' or something else such as the fantastic comic book "American Vampire".

As the above poster mentioned, it sounds like the pilot suffered a bit of the stilted acting and cheesy writing, which is eroded away over the next few episodes. I'm in for the entire season, regardless, but I'm glad to hear that it gets significantly better as the season progresses.

PS - first post. Hi!

Comment

Pilot hooked me and the previews of upcoming episodes looks good.

Comment

LOVED it. I'm in.
              http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

Really dig it so far. Not reinventing the wheel retelling the vampire myth (boat/plane full of dead passengers, etc, etc), but they're changing enough of the small details that it feels fresh. I don't know why, but the idea of a single incision on the neck like a scalpel would make felt scarier to me then the familiar two bite marks.

All in all, I'm just stoked that horror on TV is a thing now.
                @ZOlkewicz - Don't follow me on Twitter.

Comment

It definitely follows in the footsteps of "The X-Files" and "Fringe", while modernizing vampirism as a virus. I'm also glad that it's not some romantic "Twilight"-like mush, and David Bradley (the Harry Potter saga) is an immediate favorite.
                  "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Yeah, I'm in. They got me. A solid beginning to a summer series.
                    #writinginaStarbucks #re-thinkingmyexistence #notanotherweaklogline #thinkingwhatwouldWilldo

Comment

Finally caught up with this. Extremely silly, but I like it.
                      TimeStorm & Blurred Vision Book info & blog: https://stormingtime.com//

Comment

The opening scene in last week's episode was a really smart choice. Who wouldn't get sucked in by that grotesque face transforming itself into a pseudo human?

The little girl really creeps the fvck out of me, though.

I still remember watching my first Dracula movie way-back-when and specific scenes still stand out in my mind-- amazing premise.

I agree that the razor thin incision is a great change up.

I'm in, too, as long as it doesn't conflict with my addiction to GOT =)
                        "Arguing that you don't care about the right to privacy b/c you have nothing to hide is no different than saying you don't care about free speech because you have nothing to say." -- Edward Snowden

Comment

Last night's episode was actually kinda scary. I'm digging it.

Comment

This eppy almost jumped the shark for me. You know what I'm talking about. Really???
                            http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

Originally posted by LIMAMA View Post
                              This eppy almost jumped the shark for me. You know what I'm talking about. Really???

But four eps that have been aired.
                              "A screenwriter is much like being a fire hydrant with a bunch of dogs lined up around it.- -Frank Miller

"A real writer doesn't just want to write; a real writer has to write." -Alan Moore

Comment

Working...
                              X