Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rejection

I finished something I finally thought was really good. Not knock 'em dead good, but good... where you leave the theater feeling good, you know? Well hell... I missed the mark again by a whisker, evidently. Everybody likes it but no cigar. It's pretty damn tough during the acceptance phase of knowing you failed again to hit the target even when you had that sonofabitch dead in the cross-hairs. If I was bucking for a promotion in corporate America, at a job I knew I was good at, and got constantly turned down, I'd probably quit and move on to another company. But in this Fuc*ing God-forsaken wasteland there is no other company to go to.

So if you want it... like I do... you gotta suck it up and start over on a new one. It blows meat for sure, but once you accept it, you laugh and roll up a blank sheet of paper on the laptop.

(But I'd still like to wring those motherf*cker's necks every which way to Sunday.) *wink*
    We gain our innocence by taking yours.

Re: Rejection.

Who is telling you that you missed the mark?

Rejection rarely comes that quickly and succinctly in this business.

Comment

Keep the faith, brother. You'll get stronger each time. Also, don't give up hope. Lots of people reject lots of great things. Unless your sure it's time to put it in the desk, keep putting it out there while you write the next one.

Comment

Originally posted by Ronaldinho View Post
        Rejection rarely comes that quickly and succinctly in this business.
        Yeah, it's usually silent, but deadly.

To the OP, we've all been there. I've been there a bunch. Hate to sound cliche, but just keep writing.

Comment

Thanks folks. I will. Aw hell, Ron, they're right... I blew it and can see it now. I'll nail one one of these days. Now on to the Michelob Light pity party! (could be why I didn't see it to begin with between that and the ... never mind)
          Last edited by AE35-Unit; 02-03-2015, 01:21 PM.

Comment

Don't sweat it, the right person just hasn't found it yet

Just keep putting it out there, like Klazart says. I'm assuming you haven't tried every single outlet that exists yet (The Black List, Virtual PitchFest, Nicholl/PAGE/Austin/other contests, etc.)...
            "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Just because people didn't see the potential yet doesn't mean it isn't good. What's important is you look objectively at whether or not you think it could be better. If you get the same notes or passes for the same reason, maybe tweak that thing. But as soon as you go out with something that DOES sell, you'll see that a lot of people will pass on it first still regardless. It's all subjective. You don't need everyone to like it, just the right person. Keep working on it to make it better or take a break and work on something else.
              @ZOlkewicz - Don't follow me on Twitter.

Comment

Originally posted by 8bit Llama View Post
                You don't need everyone to like it, just the right person. Keep working on it to make it better or take a break and work on something else.
                +1.

Comment

Originally posted by AE35-Unit View Post
                  Thanks folks. I will. Aw hell, Ron, they're right... I blew it and can see it now. I'll nail one one of these days. Now on to the Michelob Light pity party! (could be why I didn't see it to begin with between that and the ... never mind)
                  Wait. So are you saying that the script is un-fixable?

When you finish that first draft, your mind should automatically think "Hey, I'm 10% done!"

Comment

I don't understand this at all. You get some not so great feedback and you start a new script?

If this is your process, you will NEVER write a script that does land.

Nobody writes an amazing script without lots of feedback and lots of revisions.

If you are fortunate to have somebody read your stuff and give you honest, constructive feedback, I suggest you use that to revise and make a new draft. Otherwise, you'll be spinning your wheels forever.
                    Last edited by slupo; 02-03-2015, 05:18 PM.

Comment

I got posi-track, Slupo.

Comment

Originally posted by AE35-Unit View Post
                        I'm also confused. Rarely is a script unfixable. The only thing that makes a script truly unfixable is a hero who is seeking something God-awfully stupid. Like a mailman desperate for peace with the dogs that bark at him on his route. (Do mailmen actually exist anymore?)
                        I'm never wrong. Reality is just stubborn.

Comment

It's like selling a house...it may not be right for the first 99 lookers, but it only has to be right for that one that is looking for exactly what you have.

Also, like a house for sale, keep looking to make improvements without destroying the foundation.

Comment

Originally posted by FoxHound View Post
                            I'm also confused. Rarely is a script unfixable. The only thing that makes a script truly unfixable is a hero who is seeking something God-awfully stupid. Like a mailman desperate for peace with the dogs that bark at him on his route. (Do mailmen actually exist anymore?)
                            I've read scripts like that. Enough to realize that what I think is common sense isn't all that common.

And you leave out all of those scripts where there isn't a lead character and none of the characters want anything. Okay, maybe a pizza, but that's it.

And they are MAILPERSONS... Mail Men is redundant.

Bill
                            Free Script Tips:
                            http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
                              And they are MAILPERSONS... Mail Men is redundant.

Bill
                              I work at the Post Office during Christmas rush -- the term is postal carrier, thank you very much.

Comment

Working...
                              X