Click here for Done Deal Pro home page

Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Films
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-11-2008, 03:13 AM   #1
j over

Default "Cloverfield"

Well, it's release is now imminent and with some of the first critiques coming out (read Ain't it Cool News' glowing review here), it appears "Cloverfield" may very well more or less live up to all the hype it has garnered since last summer.

Or not.
j over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 02:48 AM   #2
j over

Default Re: "Cloverfield"

I'm sad to read in quite a few reviews that apparently the film's key flaw is that the characters are all underdeveloped or just plain dull...if that's true, the movie will be a disappointment for me.

Quote:
"I: was forced to write down page after page of dialogue like this: “What the hell was that?” “Oh, God, this is nasty!” “This is like a nightmare, you know?” After a monster tries to drag one of the screamers away, we get, “What’s up with that?” Someone who is bleeding from the eyeballs is asked, “Are you okay?” and one who has nearly been ripped apart alive in the last 30 seconds quips, “You’re saying this isn’t attractive looking?” Tell me, if everyone you knew were getting pulverized, would you pause to make a sarcastic crack about Garfield?"

-- Kyle Smith, KyleSmithOnline.com

Quote:
"... However, like the viral videos that CLOVERFIELD emulates, the movie gives us a peek into its characters’ lives, but not enough to understand much about them—a distancing effect that ultimately keeps our concern about their fates at arm’s length. In that respect, CLOVERFIELD is less successful than GOJIRA and the more recent THE HOST—movies in which the characters earned our empathy because of who they were, not just because of the situation they were in.

... In the end, CLOVERFIELD lacks the strong characterizations of THE HOST, the mythic power of GOJIRA and the truly tragic resonance of the top tier of creature features."

-- Don Kaye, Fangoria

Quote:
"... there's little doubt that the movie fares exceedingly poorly in terms of developing its human characters (this is particularly problematic during quieter moments, as the film essentially morphs into a second-rate young-adult melodrama that'd be more at home on the CW)."

-- David Nusair, Reel Film Reviews

Quote:
"... It's dumb but quick and dirty and effectively brusque, dispensing with niceties such as character. ... The monster itself doesn't have a story; he just is. You could say the same about the film. It's like "The O.C." crash-landed in an outer borough and woke up something nasty."

-- Michael Phillips, Chicago Tribune

Quote:
"... They're all meant to be cool, attractive, upmarket young professionals... but their behavior is, tops, adolescent. The men in attendance clumsily hit on pretty girls they don't know; they mope about an old love (Beth) showing up with a new guy; they frantically pass along gossip about who's been sleeping with whom. A suspicion forms in viewers' minds that Cloverfield has been rated PG-13 "for the emotional age of the characters.

... But their behavior is Noel Coward-sophisticate compared to what happens when the monster strikes. A horror/sf/disaster movie loses points every time you're forced to ask yourself, "Why are they doing something so stupid?", and the answer is, "Because they're in a horror/sf/disaster movie." And if you thought that Abrams — the creator of Felicity, Alias and Lost, and the writer-director of the spiffy if underperforming Mission: Impossible III — would produce a horror movie that was not just high-concept but high-IQ — you misjudge his faithfulness to a genre requiring that, in extremis, people act in a manner that's way below their intelligence levels.

Susan Sontag described horror and science fiction as "the imagination of disaster." The innovation is in thinking the unthinkable, not creating rounded or even plausible characters."

-- By Richard Corliss, Time

Last edited by j over : 01-18-2008 at 03:12 AM.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:23 AM   #3
Terrance Mulloy

Quote:
Originally Posted by j over View Post
I'm sad to read in quite a few reviews that apparently the film's key flaw is that the characters are all underdeveloped or just plain dull...if that's true, the movie will be a disappointment for me.
Sounds like alot of these so-called critics have chip's on their shoulders.

Last edited by Terrance Mulloy : 01-17-2008 at 03:35 AM.
Terrance Mulloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:14 AM   #4
rockridesva

Saw this the weekend before last. Enjoyable, though not amazing. Very glad I went to see it in theaters, it's fun, but ultimately it'll be remembered more for it's amazing marketing campaign then for the film itself.

Just my two cents.
rockridesva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 04:30 AM   #5
doubler83

At the end of the day, it's a monster movie. I don't know what some critics were expecting. Oscar-winning material, perhaps?

And for those people who are complaining about the dialogue, what else would you say if you were in the middle of an attack by a 300ft giant squid (or whatever it is)? You wouldn't be quoting Shakespeare or waxing lyrical like Eminem, would you?

Grrrr, critics!!
doubler83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:49 AM   #6
RoscoeP
Regular

Supposed fan art rendition of the monster (and to cover myself, this could
obviously be considered a SPOILER):

http://www.slashfilm.com/wp/wp-conte...onsterart2.jpg

It came from this website and there are other fan renditions (also, any of them
could likewise be considered SPOILERS):

http://www.slashfilm.com/2008/01/12/...ed-in-fan-art/
RoscoeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2008, 05:53 AM   #7
j over

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockridesva View Post
it's fun, but ultimately it'll be remembered more for it's amazing marketing campaign then for the film itself.

That's too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by doubler83 View Post
At the end of the day, it's a monster movie. I don't know what some critics were expecting. Oscar-winning material, perhaps?

And for those people who are complaining about the dialogue, what else would you say if you were in the middle of an attack by a 300ft giant squid (or whatever it is)? You wouldn't be quoting Shakespeare or waxing lyrical like Eminem, would you?

Why would it be impossible that there could be a monster movie made with Oscar-calibar writing, performances and directing? In the world of filmmaking, anything is damn-near-possible if given the right set of circumstances (no matter how rare).

And, I have to admit that some of the dialogue cited from the movie does sound cringe-worthy which is extremely odd coming from an overall usually strong writer like Drew Goddard.
Old 01-17-2008, 01:06 PM   #8
qualitycontrol

Word of mouth will make The Bucket List fall. I read some funny review that said put it on your ****-it list. I agree. Also, I think Cloverfield will do very, very well. A lot of people want to see it (at least in NYC.)
qualitycontrol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2008, 03:22 AM   #9
j over

Even in many of the positive critiques they mention how underdeveloped or just plain inane the characters are...not sounding-so-good.
Old 01-18-2008, 03:34 AM   #10
Terrance Mulloy

Quote:
Originally Posted by j over View Post
Even in many of the positive critiques they mention how underdeveloped or just plain inane the characters are...not sounding-so-good.
Personally, I'm more interested in the plot (as basic as it is) and the visuals. I wouldn't expect too much from a bunch of NYC Gen-Y'ers on the run from a giant slug.
Terrance Mulloy is offline   Reply With Quote