No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Gone Girl is everything that's wrong with writers

Originally posted by JoeBanks View Post
    No, I'm crying foul because this woman is made a "villain" by fulfilling every woman-hating fantasy in the Poor Male Victim pantheon:

Falsely accuses men of rape? Check!

Uses sex as a means to manipulate and control men. Check!

Intentionally gets pregnant to trap men into marrying/staying with her. Check!

true gender equality means not using misogynistic stereotypes to pander to the worst instincts of audiences who have been conditioned for generations to believe that they are true
    And yet I've known women who've done all three of those things.

So essentially, you're an affirmative action screenwriter. Even though it's true that women (and men) are capable of great evils, we can't show that because some pervert might get off on it.

Let's have Amy be a villain, but let's not have her actually do anything that real, awful women have done in real life. Because that might reinforce an idea in someone's head that women are capable of doing wrong, and GOD KNOWS we don't want that.

Look, I understand where you're coming from. But for me, someone who despises sexism from both sides of the fence, it's refreshing to see the other side of the fence addressed, and by a woman no less, but not without a few fingers pointing back at the man as well. Amy was raised and instilled with this idea that she was to be the Manic Pixie Girl of every guy's dreams, and in the end she snaps and becomes the opposite. That's not misogyny, that's good f--king writing.

Now you're essentially saying that because I'm glad to see this addressed, that I have some sick misogynistic idea about women crying rape, using sex to get what they want, lying, manipulating, etc. That that's how I see women. I don't, and it's not. I'm glad to see this addressed because it's a truth that I haven't seen addressed before. But really that's not even why I enjoyed Gone Girl so much. I enjoyed it because for 149 minutes I was locked into every frame. That's quality work right there, and on every level, particularly the writing and directing.

My issue here is with your cries of misogyny, which are based solely on the perception a misogynist might have of the film.

Comment

biggest piece of misogynistic bullshit since Fatal Attraction or Basic Instinct (take your pick)

thank you, David Fincher, for having the courage to finally shed light on the epidemic of men who are wrongfully framed for murder by their shrewish bitch of a wife!
      Thank you, spot on. Gillian Flynn was on CBS this morning saying psycho female hadn't been explored.

I was like, "Where the hell was she in 1987??"

Character was deep as a puddle - spoiled trust fund brat seeking attention. How anyone can call that complex is silly.
      "Running down a dream, that never would come to me." Tom Petty

Comment

Originally posted by Exponent5 View Post
        I was like, "Where the hell was she in 1987??"
        10th grade?

Comment

thank you, David Fincher, for having the courage to finally shed light on the epidemic of men who are wrongfully framed for murder by their shrewish bitch of a wife!
          Based on a novel by a woman.
          Screenplay by the novelist (still a woman).
          Rewrite by a woman.

The story elements were all created by women! So get off this bullshit auteur theory thing that the director creates the story. The *writers* create the story. Every writer on this film was a woman.

Bill
          Free Script Tips:
          http://www.scriptsecrets.net

Comment

Originally posted by wcmartell View Post
            Rewrite by a woman.

The story elements were all created by women! So get off this bullshit auteur theory thing that the director creates the story. The *writers* create the story. Every writer on this film was a woman.

Bill
            This. Also, we can say bullshit on here now?! How about ****?

EDIT: Nope, still no f--k....

Comment

I thought Gone Girl was brilliant.

SPOILERS!

To me, it seems less about gender politics and more about other things, like crushed expectations and the moral bankruptcy that can be exposed.

That mall in the modern Heartland? OMG! It doesn't get more post-apocalyptic than that. And the city doesn't have enough pride or awareness to raze it. The fabric of life seems to be failed materialism and lies in the film's world. And the whole culture of celebrity around victims was pretty scathing, too. The woman had no friends, but she had candle-carrying mobs and nightly attention from the Nancy Grace-type once she attained status as an attractive victim.

That Amy's childhood failings became triumphs in her fictionalized life by her parents for commercial success made for an awesome backstory of a creative sociopath.

I thought the story was populated by a very good array of female characters. Especially the twin, the cop, and the grifter -- not your typical helper. Also, I had to laugh when the Affleck character, under stress, went for the tub of ice cream. Subversive?

Many in my theater applauded at the end, even though there was that "oh, come on" moment, too. I forgave it at the end, though. Excellent writing!

Comment

Rewrite by a woman.

Bill
                Which makes me REALLY sad.

Women writing women as psycho, crazy, selfish murderers. Great.

How "empowering."

Comment

Originally posted by canela View Post
                  Many in my theater applauded at the end, even though there was that "oh, come on" moment, too. I forgave it at the end, though. Excellent writing!

Wait just a cotton-pickin' minute...

An ending with plot holes the size of Georgia, and loose ends you could swing a piano from that were not tied up, and you call that "excellent writing"???

Comment

Originally posted by kintnerboy View Post
                    10th grade?
                    I was thinking more like sophomore year of college...*shrug*.

Comment

"Gone Girl's audience skewed older (75 percent 25 and up) and female (60 percent)."
                      Free Script Tips:

Comment

"Gone Girl's audience skewed older (75 percent 25 and up) and female (60 percent)."
                        Yes, VERY old.

I always love to note the demographics that a movie pulls in before the lights go down, and in the theater I was in it was mostly females in the 40-60 range, with a few older men.

Comment

Originally posted by Exponent5 View Post
                          Which makes me REALLY sad.

Women writing women as psycho, crazy, selfish murderers. Great.

How "empowering."

"Citizen Kane" was written by two men...

Comment

Some people really want to hate what is supposed to be an enjoyable, pulpy thriller. I'll be looking forward to it, though I've had the book for a while so I may read that first.

Comment

"Citizen Kane" was written by two men...
                              I think Exponent 5 would prefer American Psycho.

Comment

I'm not a woman.
                                I don't want to speak for women.
                                I don't want to censor women or tell them what they can or can not do.

Bill
                                Free Script Tips:

Comment

Working...
                                X