No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: #OscarsSoWhite

Originally posted by figment
    Academy just voted to double the number of women and diverse members. There is a new, ten year limit on being a "voting" member.

Out with the old. In with the new.

Good for them.

http://deadline.com/2016/01/oscars-d...20-1201688409/
    Looks like they took my suggestion. Change is beautiful.

I know that this is not a total solution -- the real change comes with the studios at the beginning of the process. But it does help to address some very real concerns at the end of the process. Good on the Academy.
    "I love being a writer. What I can't stand is the paperwork.-- Peter De Vries

Comment

Does anybody here write anything?

Comment

Originally posted by kintnerboy View Post
        Great! This means that Sidney Poitier is OUT!

(kidding, maybe)
        "In addition, members will receive lifetime voting rights after three ten-year terms; or if they have won or been nominated for an Academy Award."

Poitier is here to stay.

Comment

Originally posted by TheConnorNoden View Post
          Does anybody here write anything?
          Finished a thriller a few weeks ago and just wrapped rewrites on a second. Good writers are capable of multi-tasking : )

Comment

Exactly what all my posts said, focus on membership. The way it's *actually written,* though (if you read it), doesn't look like much real change for at least ten years.

Comment

So on the basis of imaginary concerns about bias or racism by a handful of complete airhead actors (I mean these people are scientologists if that's not a red flag about their reasoning abilities not sure what is), but based on that nonsense, the academy has to radically change it's make-up to include more people, who, and this is the kicker, will probably actually have an agenda to specifically vote based on race. This is meant to be progress?

When are we going to starting talking about the fact that the Smiths etc are inherently anti-white racists.

Comment

Yes, that's the punchline to this whole thing.

You can't eliminate bias, because it's a natural human trait. All you can hope to do is counteract it with a different bias to balance things out.

Comment

Here's a tip for anyone in Hollywood for the rest of the awards season. You will be asked at some point (during an interview, on the red carpet) your opinion on #OscarSoWhite. Do not make the same mistake Charlotte Rampling made and actually answer a baiting question honestly!

There is only ONE acceptable answer to this question, regardless of how you actually feel.

When asked, (and you will be... the media doesn't care about anything else) begin by expressing how 'disappointed' you are, and how 'terrible' it is, how we need 'change', and make sure you mention that it's 'not just Hollywood', but 'everywhere'. Try to look concerned.

Then, make some kind of vague, generalized statement along the lines of how we need to 'start a dialogue', 'have a conversation' or 'bring something to the table', without actually saying anything specific. This is key.

Whatever you do, DO NOT actually try to start a dialogue or conversation! This is the trap!

Say nothing further, especially if you're a white male. Your opinion is tainted by your privilege and will be ignored (if your lucky... worst case scenario is you get snarked to death by the hashtag brigade for a full news cycle and become a pariah).

Comment

Originally posted by thornmane View Post
                    With all this #OscarsSoWhite brouhaha going on, I wanted to science the issue, so I did some math:

African American Academy Award Winners in acting categories since 2000

Win percentage 9/60 = 15%

African American Academy Award Nominations in acting categories since 2000

Nomination percentage 29/300 = 9.5%

If African Americans make up ~13.2%[1] of the US population, that ~15% win percentage is right on the money, right?

The 9.5% for nominations is a bit low, but it would seem that African Americans are more likely to win if they do get nominated.

Is there really an #OscarsSoWhite issue?
                    I thought about this some more, and I just want to address again how misleading this math is.

The controversy is focused on #OscarsSoWhite (not #OscarsNotBlack), so we should be looking at the white statistics, rather than isolating the black number among the non-white population.

White Academy Award Winners in acting categories since 2000

Win percentage 50/60 = 83.3%

White Academy Award Nominations in acting categories since 2000

Nomination percentage 255/300 = 85%

And using the OP's source, the white U.S. population is roughly 62.1% (and shrinking). Now that's MUCH more of a statistical anomaly than the OP chose to focus on.

Imagine if you're playing Three-Card Monte, where you can expect to get it right a third of the time. But, at best, you are only getting it right about 15% of the time. And then you lose 40 times in a row. At that point, there's every reason to be suspicious, right? Because the odds of winning at least one of those 40 games is 99.99999598054547% ...and yet, it didn't happen.

So just looking at the numbers alone, there is inarguably a significant bias towards white actors that cannot be explained away by looking at population demographics.

Comment

Originally posted by kintnerboy View Post
                      Yes, that's the punchline to this whole thing.

You can't eliminate bias, because it's a natural human trait. All you can hope to do is counteract it with a different bias to balance things out.
                      I thought the punchline was people were still whining about this stuff after the Academy decision.

Comment

Oscar statistics and trends:

Four of the last nine Best Supporting Actress Oscars have been awarded to black women.

The script for Up in the Air won nearly every pre-Oscar award you can mention and still lost to Geoffrey Fletcher's Precious.

12 Years a Slave won Best Picture just three years ago.

Beasts of No Nation had a very limited theatrical release ($90,000 gross), and movies that do such meager box office rarely get nominated for major awards.

Will Smith's Concussion has a lower Rotten Tomatoes rating than any of five movies represented in the Best Actor category.

What if there really is no conspiracy?

Comment

Originally posted by MrZero View Post
                          Oscar statistics and trends:

Four of the last nine Best Supporting Actress Oscars have been awarded to black women.

The script for Up in the Air won nearly every pre-Oscar award you can mention and still lost to Geoffrey Fletcher's Precious.

12 Years a Slave won Best Picture just three years ago.

Beasts of No Nation had a very limited theatrical release ($90,000 gross), and movies that do such meager box office rarely get nominated for major awards.

Will Smith's Concussion has a lower Rotten Tomatoes rating than any of five movies represented in the Best Actor category.

What if there really is no conspiracy?
                          because one decade of slightly more representation means this isn't a historical pattern for the Academy. problem solved

Comment

Rumble rumble...

Academy's Historic Changes Elicit Everything From Praise To Outrage To Making Some Members Very Nervous - Deadline Hollywood
                            https://apple.news/AeiL0DzeuOkykSQ6pdoIOBA

Comment

Originally posted by nativeson View Post
                              Rumble rumble...

Academy’s Historic Changes Elicit Everything From Praise To Outrage To Making Some Members Very Nervous - Deadline Hollywood
                              https://apple.news/AeiL0DzeuOkykSQ6pdoIOBA
                              The article states that the Academy is 94% white and 77% male. That explains a lot.

Although I wonder, is the imbalance just as extreme in the film industry at large?

Comment

Originally posted by TheKeenGuy View Post
                                The article states that the Academy is 94% white and 77% male. That explains a lot.

Although I wonder, is the imbalance just as extreme in the film industry at large?
                                Good question. I find it hard to believe the imbalance is as extreme among people who are actively working in the industry today. Which is why I think the new changes are smart in that they limit voting to people who have been active in the recent past. It indirectly addresses the diversity issue, but disregarding that, it was a change that was probably necessary anyway.

Comment

Working...
                                X