Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > General > Research and Resources
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2010, 08:06 AM   #1
billmarq
Administrator

Default Australian schools

What is the Australian equivalent to American high school? Could a person graduate from high school at the age of 14? That would be the age of completion for 7th or 8th grade (Junior High or Middle School) here in the States, although some districts extend Middle School to the 9th grade.
billmarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 01:13 PM   #2
hscope

Default Re: Australian schools

There are two schools:

Primary school - Kindergarten and years 1 to 6 (start at 5 years old)

High School - years 7 to 12

Students can leave school after year 10 (16 yo) when they complete their School Certificate, but most stay on until year 12, when the more important Higher School Certificate (HSC) exams take place. This exam provides a 'score' University entry. (My daughter is just finishing year 10, but we've brainwashed her since she was very little and she is going to University)

Some kids are 15 when they finish year 10 and I think this is the earliest you can leave school.

The terms Junior High and Middle School are not used here, only Primary and High School.
hscope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:03 PM   #3
nic.h

What hscope said, with one caveat. Private Schools follow the Junior School, Senior School scenario, and bearing in mind that more 30% of Australian kids go to a Private/Independent school, it might be useful to know. (Private Junior school is prep - Year 8, senior: Year 9-12.)

Also, you need to know which state they're in. In Victoria, the first year of Primary is called "Prep", and Year 12 is called VCE. (It hasn't been called HSC since I was there - back in 1986.) In South Australia, the first year is "Reception", etc.

If you want specifics or more info, just ask. (PM or whatever.)

Nic
nic.h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:06 PM   #4
nic.h

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmarq View Post
What is the Australian equivalent to American high school? Could a person graduate from high school at the age of 14? That would be the age of completion for 7th or 8th grade (Junior High or Middle School) here in the States, although some districts extend Middle School to the 9th grade.
To answer the graduating age - it's not graduating unless you finish Year 12, and no one goes ahead here. It's just not done. Even if you're a genius, you'll go through the 13 years like everyone else and finish at 17 (earliest, and happening less) or 18 years old. (If you're really advanced you might do extra stuff along the way, etc, but the feeling is the experience of school - the social side of it, and working alongside your peers - is as vital to the process of education as the academics are.

I teach Second year university (undergrads) and the youngest kid I have is 19.
Old 11-24-2010, 02:41 PM   #5
hscope

Quote:
Originally Posted by nic.h View Post
What hscope said, with one caveat. Private Schools follow the Junior School, Senior School scenario, and bearing in mind that more 30% of Australian kids go to a Private/Independent school, it might be useful to know. (Private Junior school is prep - Year 8, senior: Year 9-12.)

Also, you need to know which state they're in. In Victoria, the first year of Primary is called "Prep", and Year 12 is called VCE. (It hasn't been called HSC since I was there - back in 1986.) In South Australia, the first year is "Reception", etc.

If you want specifics or more info, just ask. (PM or whatever.)

Nic
Whoops! I assumed Australia had a unified education system

I'd better go back to school.
hscope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 11:11 PM   #6
billmarq
Administrator

Thanks, guys. This is what I needed to know.
billmarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 01:54 AM   #7
OzFade

Keep in mind as well in QLD Primary School is from years 1 to 7. Preschool (kindy) is before grade 1.

Our high school years are from year 8 to year 12. You can leave after year 10 as said earlier or can continue to year 12 to sit for your QCS (Queensland Core Skills test) which is the same as the HSC however the QCS isn't compulsory.
Old 11-26-2010, 05:48 PM   #8
Write-Away
Regular

I think this will help clarify things. "Public schools are so random!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdtsJlZG1Ss

Write-Away is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 05:58 PM   #9
nic.h

Quote:
Originally Posted by Write-Away View Post
I think this will help clarify things. "Public schools are so random!"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdtsJlZG1Ss
Summer Heights High was huge here. Chris Lilley is a genius - wrote, directed, starred, produced... The man can barely string two words together out of character (he's painfully shy), but he has so much going on inside his head. All of his characters are magnificent - J'amie, is a classic but not even my favourite.

BTW: that was filmed in a local school not far from where I live, and the principal was a real principal in a public school, also not far from me (but in the other direction). She's since retired but she was quite the cult star in her school for the year SHH was on air.
Old 11-26-2010, 06:26 PM   #10
Write-Away
Regular

I so LOVE this show! I rarely laugh out loud watching TV but I do when I watch "Summer Heights High". I think "Jonah" is my favorite, but they're all pretty hilarious in their own way. Interesting about Chris Lilley being so shy. You'd never know it!

Write-Away is offline   Reply With Quote