Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Agents, Lawyers & Managers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-13-2014, 09:47 PM   #21
jaycar
New User

Default Re: Contest results (so far) enough to persuade a manager to read my script?

Query while you're a semi-finalist. I was a semi-finalist in Nicholl, Page and Austin last year and waited to see if I'd make finals before I query. I didn't make it. I had a couple of bites when Nicholl sent out their list, but nothing came of Page and Austin s/f's. I went to AFF ready to pitch the hell out of the script, but it was a huge let down. The finalists get some attention but except for a free badge, the semi-finalists don't get a lot of love.

This year I'm doing it differently since I asked some pros what I should do. I queried a few managers and agents last week, mentioning that I'm currently a semi-finalist in Nicholl and Austin. I was lucky to receive a few requests for reads. A well-known manager responded after a read, and we've set up a phone call for next week. Another manager asked to see additional scripts since he only works with writers who are consistent in their writing. So from personal experience I can only conclude that you should strike while the iron is hot.
jaycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 07:31 AM   #22
Concord
User

Default Re: Contest results (so far) enough to persuade a manager to read my script?

Well, I sent out a handful of queries Friday to managers and I'll continue sending them out tomorrow. The subject line of the Friday emails described the script as being a "PAGE semi-finalist and Austin 2nd rounder." Since the next round of PAGE is being announced tomorrow, I'll either get to update the subject line to "PAGE finalist" -- or keep it as is.

Best of luck to you and your upcoming manager contacts. Sounds promising!
Concord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 12:39 PM   #23
JKB
Regular

Haha, jaycar -- I had the exact same experience at Austin a couple years back. I was a semifinalist and went to the festival primed to pitch myself and my work. Even did the pitch contest.

It was all very worthwhile ... as a lesson in humility.

Best of luck with the rep(s)!
JKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 01:14 PM   #24
Exponent5
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by docgonzo View Post
The quote might be a nice touch for what amounts to being a rejection letter, but I don't think it's going to sway industry peeps.
I respectfully disagree. Here's why:

Everyone in Hollywood wants someone to TELL them that something was good.

I would even go so far as to say that most development execs don't even want to have to actually READ something - they just want someone they trust to TELL them it was good.

Stephanie Palmer even said as much about agents in a recent blog post (I'll see if I can find the link).

This is why it is so important for a project to have a cheerleader. I think it is a big part of how things get made around here.

FOUND IT!

http://goodinaroom.com/blog/how-to-w...enplay-agents/

#4 Reading the script is not required

Controversial as this may sound, from a literary agent’s perspective, the best script is one where the agent doesn’t even need to read it.

After simply hearing the short pitch and reading coverage provided by someone the agent trusts, if the storyline is clear and easily understood, the agent can sell your script.

So, there ya go: include a quote or testimonial.
Old 09-15-2014, 01:16 PM   #25
Exponent5
Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaycar View Post
So from personal experience I can only conclude that you should strike while the iron is hot.
^^THIS^^

Life is short.
Old 09-15-2014, 02:25 PM   #26
docgonzo

In my experience as a writer who's been repped a few times and as an assistant at a management company, inserting testimonial quotes comes off as amateurish. The best luck I've had is a straight-forward query that has a kick-ass logline. If your logline isn't good or something their not interested in, no quote or testimonial is going to sway them in the other direction. And while a quote might not hurt if you have kick-ass logline, it's superfluous at that point anyway, since a rep is requesting the script based on said logline and really not much else.

But like I said, that's my experience. Someone else might have a different one.

And for the record, I wouldn't add contest results to an email subject line. Just the title and genre.
docgonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 03:45 PM   #27
Bunker

I would only attach a testimonial if it were a true knock-my-socks-off quote. It can't just be "This is very well-written" or "We really enjoyed it."

A testimonial has to be:

"For the past 10 years, I have read 1000s of scripts for Nicholl, but this script is far and away THE BEST I have ever laid eyes on. This is MOVIE!"

If I saw that line, I would think "Gee, now I'm curious."

The OPs original quote is very positive, but it doesn't have that "Wow!" factor.
Bunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 10:14 AM   #28
JKB
Regular

I'll jump in and say I avoid quotes and testimonials in queries. Yes, reps want affirmation that a script is worth reading, but they want that affirmation from someone they know and trust, not Joe Reader from some contest, even the Nicholl.

IMO, including quotes is like saying your mom loves your writing. Any script will get nice comments. They do nothing to set your script apart in a rep's mind.
JKB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014, 03:40 AM   #29
jaycar
New User

This is a follow-up of my previous post about contacting managers and agents while you are still in the running with competitions. I didn't make Nicholl finals, but I made the top 50. I made finals for Austin and Page. I signed with a great manager and I'm working on notes for the script that's still in the running. My manager plans on going out with the script beginning November. By the way, I found this manager through a working writer in Hollywood. The six degrees of separation rule applies. Everyone knows someone who knows someone in the business, so don't be afraid to ask. They can only say no.
jaycar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2014, 07:27 AM   #30
EJ Pennypacker

Thanks for the follow up. Good luck with your project. I hope this post answers others burning question of "shall I wait... or strike now?" policy.

EJ
EJ Pennypacker is offline   Reply With Quote