Can You (Still) Sell A Movie Idea As Logline?

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Can You (Still) Sell A Movie Idea As Logline?

You can try the self proclaimed Pitch King Bob Kosberg, but even he's not selling much anymore.
    http://www.pjmcilvaine.com/

Comment

Originally posted by sixkiller View Post
      I have a question about movie ideas.

I wonder if you can still find ways to sell only a movie idea only. That is thus a logline/moviepitch of 2-3 lines only and no script. ( I have made ome synopsis, but I figured out the people hunting for ideas only want to hear a logline first).

It started a long time ago since I was annoyed by the boring movies I saw and than started thinking of ideas myself. I read somewhere (book/internet) about moviepitches and that people send in ideas where sometimes a production company optioned it/or bought it and got a little exited about it.

I have made up 4 original movie ideas since (which as far as I know aren't existing movies yet) but do think now it is a mission impossible to do something with them. I am not a scriptwriter (far from that) but I hope there is someone here who can give me advice to pursue it or if this is such a mission impossible and drop it or should write a script.

In short: Can you still sell today a movie idea via a logline only?

I live in Europe, so I don't have any easy option to attend pitchfests or whatever they are called. Neither am I a (screen)writer, however maybe it is an option to find a person who is and see if that will help.

Thanks for your help!

Bob
      From what I've been told, this ship has passed and it's not possible anymore.

EJ

Comment

Originally posted by LIMAMA View Post
        You can try the self proclaimed Pitch King Bob Kosberg, but even he's not selling much anymore.
        His Website doesn't even seem to accept inquiries anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by EJ Pennypacker View Post
          From what I've been told, this ship has passed and it's not possible anymore.

EJ
          Concur.

Comment

Thank you guys, this is some very well founded information and advice. I really appreciate the input. Should have checked the forum earlier

I agree with your comments about teaming up with a writer. It came out a bit wrong in the way that I am well aware no one will work for free, but I am guessing outsourcing it completely will be costly. I wasn't looking for a short cut (yet), I just didn't know what to do next and if an idea was enough. But I do know now that an idea is just another idea and needs more than that. Which won't make me stop, it still is something out of the ordinary (at least where I live) to pursue and that's what I like to have going on on the side.

So I think the best thing for me is to start by finding some scripts from movies I watched and liked (style/dialogue) of similar genres of my ideas to see how much text and how it's constructed. Maybe even try and write something just to see what I can make up. If I like it I can always find lessons or books and other info to make it more professional and get back here or pay someone to review it.

About producing, that's a whole other thing but sounds just as interesting. I seriously think that is even closer to my capabilities than writing but probably something with more headaches than a 'writers block'. But for now

About the contests. I will look into scripts and scriptwriting. But is it useful to enter an idea into a contest and see if it will get noticed? If they like it I know I have to come up with more, but than at least I know it has gotten some interest and is worth putting serious time (and maybe money) in. And in what range do I have to think if I would pay someone (not a established top writer off course) to write a script?

Comment

Working...
            X