Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Business > Agents, Lawyers & Managers
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2014, 12:31 PM   #11
EJ Pennypacker

Default Re: Scripts at 2 Different Studios, Still No Rep

Sounds like you need a lawyer not a rep, jk97301.

EJ
EJ Pennypacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 02:13 PM   #12
mixj
User

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatWriter View Post
No, that was the first time I'd done that. Went pretty badly. I asked to speak to one of their "agents" and she replied that they didn't have any agents. Facepalm. "Managers" I stuttered. Downhill from there.

But the good news is that one of the actor's managers wants to pick me up as a client. I've read about "hip-pocketing" on here. What's the difference, how can I tell and is it a good idea?
Get on imdbpro.com and find out the name of a manager. When you call the desk ask directly for that manager. Ask like you're calling someone who should be expecting your call. They will forward you to that manager's desk. When their assistant picks up, says "Hi, this is so and so and I'm looking for representation on my script "X" that is at "Company A" and "Company B."

Try and choose someone who has sold/repped scripts similar to yours or dealt with the companies you're dealing with.

Call all over town to reputable management companies. If I can get people on the phone without having a script at two companies you can get people on the phone.
mixj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014, 03:05 PM   #13
NYNEX

Quote:
Originally Posted by LatWriter View Post
Been reading for a while but finally joined. Was hoping I could get some advice:

So I have 2 different scripts at 2 different studios. They were sent by the managers of 2 different actors I know that I've worked with before.

The first studio said they're "interested" but have a somewhat similar film coming out next year and want to see how that does before they move forward. The other script just got to the other studio so I'm not sure how that will go. I write Latino content and they sent out word that they're looking for it so I think they'll be very receptive.

So, here's my question: Do I try to get representation for myself? Or do I let this play out through their managers? I'm hearing things 2nd hand so I'm getting frustrated. And I'm worried they're making sure they are attached to act in the film.

Advice?
Go to www.imdbpro.com and contact agents listed there. The agents will be a lot more interested once you have a SOLID offer, but even without one you may be able to get them to read your work.