Click here for Done Deal Pro home page
Done Deal Pro Home Page

Go Back   Done Deal Pro Forums > Movies & Television > Films
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2019, 02:02 PM   #1
Southern_land

Default Southern_land is sad

https://nofilmschool.com/disney-2019...TQe1nYZLP68214

If true, this large a monopoly can't be healthy. With a range of studios we should get a range of ideals, if 80% is truly being authorised, shot, tested and put out by one conglomerate the implications are concerning

Southern_land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 02:25 PM   #2
sc111

Default Re: Southern_land is sad

Sequels and super heroes for worldwide movie goers. They've claimed their niche. The question is: will this niche dry up in 10 years? Less? Demographics and psychographics drive ticket sales for these genres. When these factors change, Disney may tank.

Technology is another reason many niche markets die. Remember Blockbuster stores?

On demand, Amazon and Netflix apps blew it out of existence.

My teen watches movies on her phone. In spite of a choice of large screen tvs we have here. And she reports that, along with her friends, she's been disappointed by theater run films and goes to see just-released movies far less than she used to.
Old 12-23-2019, 04:38 PM   #3
finalact4

My daughter is the same, sc111, she watches on her phone. She hates superhero movies.

I'm now sad, too, Southern_Land.

I feel like I want to create a new superhero for Warner Bros., so Disney won't just suck them into their black hole of IPs.

If I win the lottery, the big one, I'm going to start a prodco and make the movies in the middle. Either that, or write a novel series.

Ooofda!

www.LisaMolusis.com
finalact4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 06:32 PM   #4
sc111

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalact4 View Post
My daughter is the same, sc111, she watches on her phone. She hates superhero movies.

I'm now sad, too, Southern_Land.

I feel like I want to create a new superhero for Warner Bros., so Disney won't just suck them into their black hole of IPs.

If I win the lottery, the big one, I'm going to start a prodco and make the movies in the middle. Either that, or write a novel series.

Ooofda!
I don't get watching films on her phone.

I'm worried she'll become nearsighted.
Old 12-23-2019, 07:19 PM   #5
Southern_land

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc111 View Post
I don't get watching films on her phone.

I'm worried she'll become nearsighted.
I don't get watching movies on a three inch screen when there's a Tv in the room/house/street. Why on earth... how the... why... but... arrrggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best analogy I can make is a caveman's son (or daughter) is after seeing the masterpiece that is the Chauvet Cave paintings decide he'd rather watch a pebble.

Southern_land is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2019, 07:53 PM   #6
finalact4

It's crazy. I agree with you both.

She also sits in the car with me with one earbud in when I tire of her music.

I will say, though, when I go to the movies, I will bring my ipad or phone and stream a movie before the movie I'm going to see. That way, while I'm enjoying a glass of vino and a loaded up, extra deep fried cheese and bacon slathered fries with fresh chives, jalapeños and a side of chipotle ranch dipping sauce-- NO ONE will interrupt me.

On those days, life is good.

www.LisaMolusis.com
Old 12-23-2019, 11:10 PM   #7
JoeBanks

The thing about putting all your eggs in the tentpole IP franchise basket, as Disney does more than the other big 4 studios, is that nothing lasts forever and the less diversified a company is when a thing stops, the harder they are poised to fall.

20 years ago, Microsoft had 95% (!) share of the desktop operating system market and Apple was on the verge of bankruptcy until Steve Jobs returned to the company. There's always room for innovative risk from competitors even against monopoly powers.
JoeBanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2019, 12:07 PM   #8
sc111

Quote:
Originally Posted by finalact4 View Post
It's crazy. I agree with you both.

She also sits in the car with me with one earbud in when I tire of her music.

I will say, though, when I go to the movies, I will bring my ipad or phone and stream a movie before the movie I'm going to see. That way, while I'm enjoying a glass of vino and a loaded up, extra deep fried cheese and bacon slathered fries with fresh chives, jalapeños and a side of chipotle ranch dipping sauce-- NO ONE will interrupt me.

On those days, life is good.
Mine uses wireless ear buds in the house and they're usually hidden under her hair -- I call them mom blockers.
Old 12-25-2019, 12:13 PM   #9
sc111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern_land View Post
I don't get watching movies on a three inch screen when there's a Tv in the room/house/street. Why on earth... how the... why... but... arrrggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best analogy I can make is a caveman's son (or daughter) is after seeing the masterpiece that is the Chauvet Cave paintings decide he'd rather watch a pebble.
The ways of Gen Z are mysterious. They conduct friendships and relationships entirely on social media apps. No desire to hear the human voice. Weird.
Old 12-25-2019, 03:23 PM   #10
finalact4

What's even crazier, is you can have three teens in the same bed, on their phones, texting and "liking" their posts on IG and other SM.

I'm working with my daughter on building more one-on-one skills, because I really fear this generation will not be a savvy at people relationships.

www.LisaMolusis.com